All About Binders

Sammie

So I just tried a basic bind with a bandage and a nice t-shirt and it didn't look too bad! I guess it helps when your sandbags are headed south for the Winter XD

Ahh, it does. I need to bind only a 34AA and practically anything works. I try not to gain weight mainly because binding would become much more difficult.

asexual cake

I guess it helps when your sandbags are headed south for the Winter XD

What do you mean by that? =/

I'd imagine it means that having sagging breasts makes binding easier.

Funny thing, I thought that it meant that layering clothes when it's cold makes them less noticeable, therefore one would not need to bind very tightly. I believe that Pugnacioun's version is closer to the original idea though. Or isn't it?

asexual cake

Funny thing, I thought that it meant that layering clothes when it's cold makes them less noticeable, therefore one would not need to bind very tightly. I believe that Pugnacioun's version is closer to the original idea though. Or isn't it?

Interesting thing, on the subject of layering (something in which I am magnificently skilled, if I do say so) - there comes a point where, for me in any case, you can have too many layers, and you go back to making your chest more noticeable.

Gho St Ory Qwan

Interesting thing, on the subject of layering (something in which I am magnificently skilled, if I do say so) - there comes a point where, for me in any case, you can have too many layers, and you go back to making your chest more noticeable.

Ah thanks for clearing that up. =D

Yeah I don't really layer much but I do notice your chest becomes less noticeable then more as the layers increase. Weird.

I've actually noticed that too many layers on an already bound chest may increase the uniboob effect. That is, instead of flattening yourself up, you end up with a single lump in the middle of your chest.

Just got my new Danae binder. Yay! I've been binding for about an year now (made my first binder myself exactly as other members described above, only that I added straps) so I can't say I am really excited, but I feel quite happy, actually. The tag says 100 % lycra and it feels rather... resilient is the word. . I'm taking some pictures of the thingie so if anyone needs them so as to know how it really looks like, give me a shout.

Offtopic: Just noticed I've budded up to a brand new amoeba colony. Good for me, isn't it? :P

So I just tried a basic bind with a bandage and a nice t-shirt and it didn't look too bad! I guess it helps when your sandbags are headed south for the Winter XD

Congratulations! I'm glad it turned out well!

I've actually noticed that too many layers on an already bound chest may increase the uniboob effect. That is, instead of flattening yourself up, you end up with a single lump in the middle of your chest.

Protip: Wearing something to break up the area - a jacket, a tie, even a shirt with stripes/plaid/a pattern on it - creates a sort of illusion that tricks the eye into thinking that uniboob is not there. :)

Fun fact: Yesterday was the fourth anniversary of me binding for the first time ever!

RandomDent

*cough* Yes :redface:

I bought sports bras too so I can have them under control but still look female and keep the family happy -_-

I thought I'd share my story of how my first binder's worked out, this being the extreme binder thread and all.

In short... it's extremely amazing. o______o I can't even remember what is was like before I had the binder... all I remember that it was ridiculously stressful and annoying to get dressed every day. I got the ultimate chest binder from Underworks, the long one. And it's like, wow... I mean, before I had to wear two sports bra-things to feel good about my image, and then the straps would always stand out through the back of most and it bothered me (because it wrecked my desired androgyny). So I would end up wearing jackets all the time in cold weather and only button-up shirts when it got warmer. I couldn't wear t-shirts or anything like that without having to layer more shirts beneath it. But the binder gets me almost totally flat-chested, which makes me happy... It helps that I'm quite flat in the first place though.

BUT. I really really really recommend binders for people who want to up their androgyny. Just... not the long model haha. This is the real point of my post here, and I don't know if others have said this before, but, the way the long model rolls up is very troublesome. It gets uncomfortable really quickly, and you have to stop and fix it in private a lot (and it rolls up whenever you sit down pretty much.) Plus the bunched-up fabric starts to look suspicious if you don't fix it haha. The next binder I get will definitely be the short model. Oh, and the one other gripe I had with it is that yeah, the lines DO still show through shirts. :/

So I went ahead and modified it myself, aren't I so clever? XD I cut off about 12 inches from the bottom and cut out the very edges of the neck and sleeves to get rid of the raised edges. Then I sewed up the places where the pieces of fabric meet so that they wouldn't pull apart. Now it doesn't roll up and does not show through t-shirts (except a TINY bit sometimes at the front collar in thinnish shirts.) It's also so much easier to breathe now.

That's all I've got to say. Sorry if it was a bit too joyful. -___-;; But, getting a binder has been really positive for me, I can't recommend it enough. Cake for Underworks? :D

I thought I'd share my story of how my first binder's worked out, this being the extreme binder thread and all.

In short... it's extremely amazing. o______o I can't even remember what is was like before I had the binder... all I remember that it was ridiculously stressful and annoying to get dressed every day. I got the ultimate chest binder from Underworks, the long one. And it's like, wow... I mean, before I had to wear two sports bra-things to feel good about my image, and then the straps would always stand out through the back of most and it bothered me (because it wrecked my desired androgyny). So I would end up wearing jackets all the time in cold weather and only button-up shirts when it got warmer. I couldn't wear t-shirts or anything like that without having to layer more shirts beneath it. But the binder gets me almost totally flat-chested, which makes me happy... It helps that I'm quite flat in the first place though.

BUT. I really really really recommend binders for people who want to up their androgyny. Just... not the long model haha. This is the real point of my post here, and I don't know if others have said this before, but, the way the long model rolls up is very troublesome. It gets uncomfortable really quickly, and you have to stop and fix it in private a lot (and it rolls up whenever you sit down pretty much.) Plus the bunched-up fabric starts to look suspicious if you don't fix it haha. The next binder I get will definitely be the short model. Oh, and the one other gripe I had with it is that yeah, the lines DO still show through shirts. :/

So I went ahead and modified it myself, aren't I so clever? XD I cut off about 12 inches from the bottom and cut out the very edges of the neck and sleeves to get rid of the raised edges. Then I sewed up the places where the pieces of fabric meet so that they wouldn't pull apart. Now it doesn't roll up and does not show through t-shirts (except a TINY bit sometimes at the front collar in thinnish shirts.) It's also so much easier to breathe now.

That's all I've got to say. Sorry if it was a bit too joyful. -___-;; But, getting a binder has been really positive for me, I can't recommend it enough. Cake for Underworks? :D

I second everything you say about binders being the better alternative. And I feel I need to thank Sammie because it was him that said straight away ''You'd better get yourself a proper binder''. Cake for Underworks it is indeed. Though I chose other manufacturer just because I couldn't wait for the binder to arrive from the US.

I wore my Danae Trans-vormer 102 for the first time yesterday and I am perfectly happy about it. Under only a T-shirt it does not show as the neck is cut low enough. It was just a bit tighter from what I've gotten used do with my DIY binder but then it flattened me up much more effectively and the dreaded uniboob effect was not there. 102 is a short model so I did not have any trouble with the tummy covering part rolling up. Only, I would recommend wearing a thin vest under the binder as otherwise you might get very sweaty.

Oh, and happy belated bindiversary, charlieee :D

I'm so glad that binding is working out so well for you!

I agree with the long models, but I guess it didn't bother me all that much. Usually what I would do when I first put it on is just roll it up myself - like two or three inches, so that the bottom was sitting around near my waist. That prevented it from rolling up when I didn't want it to. (Also, the shirts I wore were loose enough that lines weren't really an issue.)

(And if you're bothered by the lines, keep in mind that if people see it, they're not going to think it's a binder, they're probably going to assume it's some sort of undershirt, which for some people is really common to wear underneath outer shirts, especially in colder weather. I do it a lot, myself.)

asexual cake
(And if you're bothered by the lines, keep in mind that if people see it, they're not going to think it's a binder, they're probably going to assume it's some sort of undershirt, which for some people is really common to wear underneath outer shirts, especially in colder weather. I do it a lot, myself.)

I also wear undershirts, for what's it's worth. I've found that layering a few tight(ish) undershirts makes layering more effective, but that's for someone whose chest is already pretty small.

I also wear undershirts, for what's it's worth. I've found that layering a few tight(ish) undershirts makes layering more effective, but that's for someone whose chest is already pretty small.

For people with larger chests, layering with undershirts (over a binder) can also help to diminish the effect of a bump/uniboob. Not a good idea in summer, though. :(

I. Am. A. Moron.

And this is an official statement.

Turns out I've been wearing my new binder the wrong way for two whole days. That is, the double compression layer - which is supposed to be in the front - I did put it on my back. Blimey, I've been wondering why my back actually started to ache after several hours. 'headdesk'

There's no tag inside the thingie and the neck cuts in the front and in the back look about the same. How was I supposed to know how to put it on? With the compression side in the front, of course. But no, I went and did it back to front and, surprisingly, it did its job perfectly.

Cake for Danae :cake: :cake:. They deserve a double helping.

asexual cake

For people with larger chests, layering with undershirts (over a binder) can also help to diminish the effect of a bump/uniboob. Not a good idea in summer, though. :(

I still layer a lot in the summer. It gets hot, but I've noticed that a few undershirts don't make that much difference in the end regarding heat.

I just ordered my first, like, actual binder a few days ago and it shipped yesterday. I'm pretty excited.

Bah humbug, I've gone back to wanting a binder but I don't have a debit card so I can't buy one off the internet. And they all seem to be abroad anyway so I can't send them postal orders. *Toodles off to find if sie can home make one...*

Bah humbug, I've gone back to wanting a binder but I don't have a debit card so I can't buy one off the internet. And they all seem to be abroad anyway so I can't send them postal orders. *Toodles off to find if sie can home make one...*

I actually asked a friend who lives abroad to buy it for me. But if you can't arrange this, no worries, DIY binders work very well too. I tried first with a waist support belt and it was good, actually, only a bit hot in the summer as waist supports are designed to keep you warm.

Gho St Ory Qwan

I actually asked a friend who lives abroad to buy it for me. But if you can't arrange this, no worries, DIY binders work very well too. I tried first with a waist support belt and it was good, actually, only a bit hot in the summer as waist supports are designed to keep you warm.

or try the compression tops from sports shops like JJB. dunno what effect they have but i believe i was told some people use them for a binding effect.

I have a question but need to give a bit of backstory (sorry) ...

Basically I've read all about the health risks of binding, and also experienced some of them first hand. I did actually bind for 4 or 5 years by layering sports bras over compression vests with cut-off pantyhose, miles of tape AND ace bandages (now, I can't believe what I did to myself everyday but I was REALLY huge chested and kinda paranoid). All in all, I damaged my chest, broke a rib, was passing out on a daily basis, and now my ribcage is permanently disfigured and I will always have breathing difficulties. Luckily I was able to get a breast reduction last year and have since not been binding at all and it feels great.

Since my operation I told myself I would never bind my chest and damage my health again. And although in an ideal world I would be flat-chested, I am extremely grateful with what I have now compared to before. I am no-gendered rather than ftm so I don't really need to have a flat chest.

However a few weeks ago I got curious.... and for various upcoming events I will need to pass effectively as a guy... so I ordered the cheapest binder from t-kingdom (a M690 I think) in a large size, hoping that it would give a gentle compression for special occasions but in no way crushing my chest.

The issue is, I got it today and it is SO comfortable! It doesn't fit perfectly and I had to shorten the straps but when I wear it, it just feels like I've got a vest on - if even that. And it flattens completely. Being a 30D I was a bit cynical. I honestly wasn't prepared for it to do such a good job. So I'm very pleased. In terms of breathing, I can breathe much better wearing the binder than my usual sports bra, and it doesn't cut into my scars which is so much more comfortable.

Um....so do the same health risks apply when it actually feels like it is doing my chest less harm than wearing a normal bra?? Should I be wary of it?

I wasn't originally planning on wearing it much but now I'm actually considering wearing it almost every day...

Any help? Wisdom?

Thanks

or try the compression tops from sports shops like JJB. dunno what effect they have but i believe i was told some people use them for a binding effect.

I can't think of one person who would buy one for me :(

I'd rather have a proper binder... something that was made for binding rather than me strapping myself up with any old thing (especially given Kai's post!) As for compression tops, I've never heard of them, but will have a look. I suspect though that they probably won't have a fantastic binding effect, they are probably more like sports bras to keep the chest still rather than restrain it... hmm...

asexual cake

I can't think of one person who would buy one for me :(

I'd rather have a proper binder... something that was made for binding rather than me strapping myself up with any old thing (especially given Kai's post!) As for compression tops, I've never heard of them, but will have a look. I suspect though that they probably won't have a fantastic binding effect, they are probably more like sports bras to keep the chest still rather than restrain it... hmm...

I'm in the unique (?) position of not having much at all to bind, so make of my testimony what you will, but I have both one of the compression tanks and the tri-top binder from Underworks, and the compression tank doesn't really bind very well so much as ... well, compress. It makes the breasts look slightly smaller and more rounded than they are naturally, making them stick out less, but they're still clearly visible, if perhaps less so than with my normal methods (which is just layering). The tri-top, however, is much more effective (not that there's much of an effect to be had, but eh...) in actually creating a look of flatness.

Elliott Ford

Just thought I'd keep you guys informed:

I've developed costochondritis which is an inflammation of the cartilage between my ribs and my sternum. It's painful and it's a nuisance and I'm probably going to be stuck with it for years but it isn't serious. I'll repeat that: It ISN'T serious.

My doctor agrees that I've had this for years already - since before I started binding. I've developed it due to a lack of excerise and it's common in people my age. It's also caused by bad posture and I got my doctor to agree that my posture is actually better since I started binding as I feel able to sit and stand up straight and not slouch to hide my chest.

With regular excerise, the costo will go away by itself but it'll do so when it does which might be in weeks or in years. So, my girlfriend is teaching me to play football and I might take up a sport next term and we'll see what happens.

I'm glad I finally know what is causing the pain as i had to go to three doctors before anyone took me seriously about this.

Oh Elliott, that's terrible! I was worried I had it (It can come in tandem with an illness I have.) so you have my deepest sympathies over how sucky it assuredly feels.

random imput, I wouldn't need a binder as my breasts have shrunk a lot lately - I used to be a DD, now I'm a B at the most. Even though this is a thread about binders, I am not happy about the shrinkage. :(

BabySquare - how did they shrink?? What's the secret?

I am being cautious about my binder (t-kingdom). Although it is very comfortable to wear, it seems to have squished the breasts even when I take it off, which makes them look flatter but wider, causing the illusion that they are bigger. Also, as they are softer and more 'squished' when I do put on a sports bra it kind of bunches them up and makes them look bigger. It has made me wary as although I like the look of my chest with clothes on while I am binding, I am growing to hate the way it looks without clothes again rather than being indifferent. It makes me think I need to bind the whole time, which is never what I intended. I think I might bind occasionally when I need to feel more confident but not all the time. I am grateful to be able to have that choice...

It's hot out and I barely leave the house these days (summer vacation) so I've only put on my binders a few times around the house. I can't say anything about their long term comfortability or effects but I did try them all on and took pics and described them as much as I could. So here's the link to the photobucket album, password "lauras" and clicking on the pic will show you the stuff I wrote about them. The first few pics I'm just wearing a cotton tank top, no bra or binding.

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/pr1n/Binders/

They're all 3 from Underworks, and I kept the 988 and returned the 983 and 998.

Also, a link to a post about the dangers of binding... it never hurts to be more informed.

http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10254

It's hot out and I barely leave the house these days (summer vacation) so I've only put on my binders a few times around the house. I can't say anything about their long term comfortability or effects but I did try them all on and took pics and described them as much as I could. So here's the link to the photobucket album, password "lauras" and clicking on the pic will show you the stuff I wrote about them. The first few pics I'm just wearing a cotton tank top, no bra or binding.

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/pr1n/Binders/

They're all 3 from Underworks, and I kept the 988 and returned the 983 and 998.

Also, a link to a post about the dangers of binding... it never hurts to be more informed.

http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10254

Very informative!

Why did you return the Tritop? (983)

and how would you say it compares to the 988 in terms of comfortableness and rolling up?

Did you get the same size for both?

KieranTheWerewolf42

random imput, I wouldn't need a binder as my breasts have shrunk a lot lately - I used to be a DD, now I'm a B at the most. Even though this is a thread about binders, I am not happy about the shrinkage. :(

*is envious* (I'm a 38-40DD)

Sorry you're not happy about it though. :cake:

Archived