"The One"

Shinnok

Do you believe in that one special person?  

1. 1. I suck at poll's like always >.<

• Yes, I do believe
    • No, I don't believe
    • Maybe. It doesn't sound impossble
    • I don't really care
    • None of the above

This poll is closed to new votes

I do, but I also believe that "the one" doesn't have to be a person you know locally around you; and with the magical presence of the Internet, it's become a lot easier to find "the one" from anywhere in the world! :wub:

Agreed :wub:

I do, but really more of "the many". I don't think that humans have onyl one person that's perfect for them, but I do believe that there are 'perfect' people. And not just romantically- I'm sure aromantics can get life partners and all that stuff too, if they want it. Unless you mean "the one" in "also perfect in terms of geographic location, etc, etc". I can see only one person fitting that for everyone.

Guest Heligan

Nah its a silly idea... I do agree that its fairly unlikely to find anyone worth marrying, so it might seem like there is only one person out there.

I suppose it depends how comfortable you are alone really, how much you would wait for the 'ideal-ish person', I think for some people there is a bigger need for someone else and therefore a bigger amount of compromise on 'ideal- fit'... so there might be more people for them... than for those of us who cant really be bothered with the whole thing unless, it at least feel like you fit perfectly to begin with (we all know that feeling doesnt last long)

I've also never got how the idea of "The One" is meant to be romantic. I think it's hugely more romantic to devote your life to a single relationship knowing full well that there are many others you could have chosen, but didn't.

I agree. But that's not to say people should all just settle. It's like there are a lot of amazing opportunities, and it's totally up to you which ones you choose. And once you choose one really worthy of it, it's nice to be in that place. And better to keep it real than to pretend there is nothing else out there and get lost in false infatuation.

Honestly, there are so many people in this world, there are probably many people who would fit under the category of "the one"... which means that there isn't just one. It simply means that whichever one you find first might be mistaken for "the one".

So no, I don't believe in the one. I believe in many different kinds of people in your life, and it just depends on who you meet, when you meet them, and under what circumstances.

you should check out the song:

"If I Didn't Have You" by Tim Minchin..

best theory of it I've ever heard :D

I dig Tim Minchin. Also, Up Against The Wall by The Whitlams: "she was one in a million, so there's five more just in New South Wales."

I don't believe in the one

I do however believe in life and at various stages there are several "ones"

all in thier own way bring something different to my life and giving me something new

I dig Tim Minchin. Also, Up Against The Wall by The Whitlams: "she was one in a million, so there's five more just in New South Wales."

That saying does make a lot less sense the more people you get a chance to meet. 1 in a trillion, maybe?

But that's also why I feel the way Id o about the idea of "the one"- maybe back before the internet when most people were probably limited to meeting people in their own country/area/etc, finding one perfect person was a long shot. But with the internet- you can get ahold of people in all corners of the globe. If you used to have only about 1 million people in the rgiht age/gender available, and now have over 10x that, you're gonna meet a few more 'perfect' people than before.

I don't really believe in that. I'd like to. I have thought so in the past, for sure, but the fact is that there are plenty of people a person is compatible with and could form a lasting relationship with. I've met a few people who seemed (and still seem) perfect for me. I'm not saying there should be any specialness taken away from the fact that a person finally finds someone they spend the rest of their life with, but the idea that there is only one person for everyone is a bit silly. It makes it seem like a person can only truly love once in their life. Just because love doesn't always last, doesn't make it any less real or special. People change. Life happens. I wish I believed in "the one". It does add a certain romance to life, but now that idea just seems silly to me.

I think that there may be "the one." But, I think that it it's kind of like the Highlander: There can be only one...

Pentachromacy
I think that there may be "the one." But, I think that it it's kind of like the Highlander: There can be only one...

Lifts sword into the air. *cue lightning strike*

• 1 month later...

No. Who would be "the one" for aromantics? and (to oversimplify) let us assume there are only two sexes, and you are only attracted to one. You would need to meet 1/2 the worlds population (3 Billion people) to be sure of finding the one, or at least on average have to meet half that number before finding your soul mate.

I believe there are many people for each person. Some pairings are more compatible than others, and there may be one "best fit", but others will come close. consider all those people who fall in true love more than once. Surely love is the only relevant measure, and anyone whose partner dies, for example, or leaves them could still find another true love.

Some view it as a positive outlook to believe in "the one", but the probability and logistics make the chance of bliss too low in this case, and if you screw it up, there is no second "one" by definition (otherwise they would be called "the two", not "the one"!). I think the idea of "one" person for everyone is quite pessimistic.

vrazda verlaine

I don't believe there's one person for everyone. I think that there are many people that one could be compatible with. Of course, when you're happily in a solid relationship, the other relationships you could potentially have had don't matter, but if a relationship doesn't work out, you have a chance with someone else.

I also don't believe in having one "true" love. I believe love can happen multiple times with multiple people, if that's how it goes.

I don't believe in "the one". I believe there are multiple people out there with whom you might match up with near-perfectly (I don't think anyone's relationship will be completely perfect at all times; we're only human).

You may end up with one of these people. Or you may up with several of these people (either at different times or at the same time if you're inclined to polyamory). Or you may not, if you don't particularly want to be with someone in that way.

But I don't think there is only one single person for you.

...I am pretty cynical about relationships right now, though. I may have disagreed with my current belief a few months ago.

I think there can be a number of people suitable for a person, but that person may only meet one or a few.

• 2 months later...
Demacrux (emi star...)

I definitely have my doubts about the existence of the so-called "One" ..but perhaps..i'll find him..maybe i won't ..

Archived