Overweight?

Kensta

"Overweight" or not?  

1. 1.

• Under or Equal to 'Normal' level
    • Over 'Normal' level
    • I dont want/cant be bothered to know/say/find out

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm somewhere between 5'8 and 5'10 depending on how I'm scaled. I weigh around 250 pounds. As for my fat %, that depends. The military won't let me join up because according to their way of testing fat ratios, I'm over 20% fat... according to GOOD fat testing ways though (like the kind you are given for high school sports) I'm only 16% fat.

On any internet discussion of weight which I have ever seen, the majority of people claim to be underweight. Every damn time, half or more of the forum in question claims to be skinny. I look at this with some skepticism, as the majority of the population is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, underweight. I don't know what to make of it.

Better-off people tend to make up a larger proportion of the underweight population. And they tend to form a larger proportion of internet users.

Younger people (student age) tend to make up a larger proportion of the underweight population. And they tend to form a larger proportion of internet users.

Overweight people are less likely to admit to being overweight in such a discussion. There isn't such a stigma attached to being underweight - it's often viewed as desirable.

Those are my theories, anyway...

Perjorist, I've noticed the same thing. Borrowed Time makes some good points, though.

Cate

I'm just fluffy! I'm about 20-30 pounds overweight but I've had two children and earned all of it! My sweetie loves me and that's all that matters!!! :wink:

PeterMacKenzie

I'm 75kg, 5'10 and my bodyfat oscilates between 6 and 10%. I have a whole thing going where you can see all my veins, tendons, muscle fibres etc in some places.

The last time my BMI was measured, I was right on the line between "overweight" and "obese." But I don't feel fat. Certainly not the scary spectre that's been attached to "obese" in the last few years.

But the survey is only about biology, not perceptions, right?

My BMI is 32.35, so I'm very overweight! Am I the only one!? I used to be around 40 I think. Im sort of trying to diet at the moment

Don't feel like you're all alone. You're not. I think maybe the huge social stigma of being overweight is limiting the response to this poll.

I WAS at over BMI 31 less than a year ago. At my age and with my family history that was just plain STUPID, so I have had to make some very difficult, socially isolating, permanent lifestyle changes.

(If you think being asexual puts a kink in your social life, try permanently swearing off all kinds of refined sugar and white flour! :roll: )

I won't call it a diet, because diets eventually end - causing a rebound effect which makes the problem even worse. Only a permanent life change will make any difference in the long run.

Good luck, Fuzzy Mike!

*cheers your efforts*

-Greybird

Silly Green Monkey

Anything you eat is your diet, the word only means the range of food. There are specialty diets, but hamburgers and cheese puffs are a diet if that's all you eat.

I... don't know what BMI is...

Body Mass Index. It's this math forumula that involves your weight and height.

I stand 5'6 and weigh 14stone 9lb...which should blow me into the obese department. Two factors (which are important here, and in other places where people of Polynesian origin make up a substantial proportion of the population):

*our bones are heavier! Up to 20% heavier-

*I spend a lot of time in cold water (the fat cover is needed - and yes, I have both neoprene and sealed seam gortex waders, thanks for thinking of that!): there is some evidence (from Parkinson's to Angas's drawings and paintings e.g), plus physiological research, that people with Polynesian ancestry have large muscles & a necessary fat cover *because of sea-voyaging* (the skinny ones got weeded out.) If you have the kind of lifestyle I have, a genetic inheritance comes to the fore-

nemmind, I like the size & shape I am, and I like the size and shape of my family (some are very tall and skinny ones too), and the size & shape of my friends & of everyone here and-

the only bit I dont like is invidious social pressure making people who

*are* healthily overweight (o yes! you can be!) feel like shit because it's now a really bad look according to the fashion mavens & various medics who've jumped aboard a very profitable bandwagon.

Truly morbid obesity is another matter.

Kia ora na Islander9, just in from yet another unsuccessful fishing tide...but still warm and fit despite lack of fish-

I saw this chick on VH1's Totally Obsessed show that was eating 14,000 calories a day because she wanted to be 600 pounds. She dressed like she weighed 120 - everything was skin tight - and she even wore a bikini. Now, I'm not really obese (again, about 20-30 pounds overweight) but I would never think of wearing something skin tight or something that shows my tummy. I couldn't help thinking she must either have amazing self esteem or very deep issues!

BTW- Her name was Nikki Mc Roberts and she has a web site at

***WARNING-ADULTS ONLY-NUDITY***

www.gaininggoddess.com

why does she WANT to be 600 pounds?! I looked at the tour, and she used to be a very fit physical specimen! Why would she WANT to go from that to.... well... what she is?

I'm most definitely overweight, and although I often start trying to diet and exercise more often, it rarely lasts more than two days before I'm back to my oh-god-what's-the-point-it'll-never-work mood. *g*

~Coral

why does she WANT to be 600 pounds?! I looked at the tour, and she used to be a very fit physical specimen! Why would she WANT to go from that to.... well... what she is?

No clue sweetie! Even the reasons she gave on the show were flimsy.(wanting to prove that big can be beautiful is one of them) Making herself 600 pounds and walking around in bikinis and spandex is not helping obese people - it's mocking them.

I feel like people should just love themselves, no matter what. There are other people out there that are just like you so don't feel so self conscious. It's truly not worth the time and effort!

I used to be 250lbs. of pudge.

Then I went on a strict diet (using the Slim Fast plan) and lots of excersise. I went down to an even 200 and was lean and fairly built.

4 years later I'm now 250 pounds again... as for my body type, I like to think of myself as being lean with extra padding! :)

NOOO NOOOOOOOOO!!!

DONT USE THE BMI!!!

IT IS SOOOOOOO WRONG!!!!!

According to the BMI scale, i am overweight at 26.2% but infact i am around 6%, bit of a difference there isnt it?

You really think that Arnold Schwarzenegger's body consists of 33% fat? I think not. The BMI scale should never have been invented, it is wrong, and whoever invented it should have their eybrows plucked with a motorbike wheel.

well, there's different ways to calculate BMI and each have their pros and cons. The most accurate method is the underwater one, but that's the most inconvenient and expensive.

There's also the electrical device that sends an impulse throughout the body and times it to see how fast it can travel throught the body. But the results can fluctuate depending on how hydrated you are.

Another's the skinfold test, and the mathematical one which is a pretty common one.

quietbraggadocio

I'm not sure of my BMI. I'm 6'0" and weight 300lbs. I can however bench press 300lbs. and leg press 500lbs. so I'm rather fit. I still have a good deal of fat but I can do anything physical just fine, and I walk everywere I go so my legs are ripped. I use to look just fat but now I have some form showing through. I'm a human tank! AARRRGG!

I am over weight! I and 5'2" but I'm not going to tell you how much I weigh. :?

I sometimes feel that I don't lose weight because I don't want to be attractive to my "other half"! Do you think I might be right or am I barking up the wrong tree?

PeterMacKenzie

I sometimes let my hair down and hide behind it, or grow a beard to make people less sexually interested in me. I find it makes life less stressful all around if I'm 'funny, non-threatening hairy-person' than when I'm 'atrractive, sexy guy', so maintaing extra weight to mediate the attention you recieve dosn't sound very strange to me.

• 3 months later...

It's my opinion that way too much attention is paid to weight and eating habits, and that a lot of people would not BE overweight if they weren't so stressed out and conscious about how much they were eating and what the social ramifications of their weight were. I know obesity is a health issue, but making it a social issue is going too far, and is really shallow.

My metabolism has been extremely active since I was about. . 13? 14?, and I haven't gained any weight for at least three or four years. I've been gridlocked between 100 and 105 pounds for that long. Technically I'm underweight, but it hasn't affected me health-wise. . *shrugs.* I'm as happy as ever.

*deletes all other opinions, because she can.* ^^

I've always been on the large size, but put weight on in two main bursts - the first was when I studied in America and overindulged on the American diet. The second was when I broke my ankle and had to spend 2 months in bed. The only thing I really did was eat, and without any exercise that was very naughty.

I'm getting it off again now, it's just a slow process.

I'm not fat. I'm pillowesque.

(Don't know BMI, but I'm about 20 lbs overweight. Losing it right now though and I feel happier (-:รพ )

I'm 6 ft and 142lbs at last weigh in... but it varies plus or minus 5 lbs. I've been called skinny my entire life and besides the one exception of ice cream, I don't care much for food. Eating is a bother... I don't like feeling hungry though, and I don't really even think about what my body looks like, so I eat as sort of maintenance - because I have to.

The only time this really changed was when I was pregnant - then I got the typical cravings and actually ate two Thanksgiving meals. My husband said it was great to be able to enjoy the pleasure of eating with me; that I finally could relate to how he feels about food. *LOL*

I agree that you can supposably 'overweight' and still be very healthy. People's bodies come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and it's ridiculous to try to stick every person into the same 'ideal'.

Sometimes when I see a heavy celebrity like Oprah lose a lot of weight - their super skinny selves just don't look as comfortable.

If someone is eating reasonable portions and exercising and doesn't have any health disorder, it makes sense they would be at the weight right for their body.

hawke

Archived