Overweight?

Kensta

"Overweight" or not?  

1. 1.

• Under or Equal to 'Normal' level
    • Over 'Normal' level
    • I dont want/cant be bothered to know/say/find out

This poll is closed to new votes

From the Radio 5 thingy i was on on Thursday, the nasty psychiatrist dude that nobody liked mentioned that being obese supposedly made people less sexual (but everything he said was dubious and sounded very biased).

Anywho, if you want to fill in the poll. If you can, try not to do it by weight, but do it by "body fat percentage" (the percentage of your body is fat). Because i am 13 stone an 5' 11", which makes me 'overweight' (fat), when actually i have about 8% body fat which makes me an 'athlete'

Here is the data:

'Normal' Body Fat for Men: 20% Fat

'Normal' Body Fat for Women: 28% Fat

Im sorry if this is personal to you, and please correct these figures if they are wrong. I think they are right, about 80% sure. Its a silly thing the whoel business. If you feel good the way you are, why change?

Ben Ken

Well, I'm 5'6" and 115lbs, so I'm certainly not overweight.

Maybe he was trying to argue that overweight people have slower metabolisms, and somehow that leads to a lessen sex drive, but I certainly don't think that has anything at all to do with my lack of a sex drive, since I'm actually a pretty energetic person, and I'm almost certain my metabolism is well above normal (which probably atributes to my thinness).

Being overweight might contribute to lessened sexual activity in general, but I don't think it has anything at all to do with Asexuality.

I agree with the slowed metabolism and I also think it might have to do with self-esteem. We live in a society that condemns fat and obesity and focuses on thinness. Fat people face ridicule as soon as they leave their homes. If they think of themselves as fat, ugly, and gross, that can often cause depression which also affects the libido.

I'm 5' 3", 19 years old. I've ranged from almost dangerously underweight (98 lbs/44.4 kg/7 stone) to around normal for my height and age (113 lbs/51.3 kg/8.07 stone). I have the ability to become sexually aroused, and I sometimes act on that alone. But still asexual.

i'm average, but realistically maybe five or ten pounds heavier than i should be for this height.

i need to start eating better, at any rate. regardless of body fat index.

Well, I'm 5'6" and 115lbs, so I'm certainly not overweight.

Well, I'm 5'6" too, but 225 lbs. But I'm not overweight either. Just short for my weight. The doctor has me on tallness supplements, and my target hieght is 8'10.5" :lol:

Seriously, though, in my case it's more likely that I am overweight because I am asexual, if there is any causality at all. I have for most of my adult life cultivated an appearance that most sexuals find unattractive. A hundred pounds of prevention is worth a couple of tons of cure, in my book. If I had any desire to get laid, there would probably be a lot less of me to increase my chances. But I don't, and there isn't.

boa

Well, I'm 5'6" too, but 225 lbs. But I'm not overweight either. Just short for my weight. The doctor has me on tallness supplements, and my target hieght is 8'10.5"

:D oh, that's awesome, boa. :D

where can i get these height supplements?

I'm around 5'2 or so and 119lb last time I checked. I'm sorta nicely rounded, with a bit of a stomach, but obsese, no.

My friendpartnerwhatsit, who is every bit as asexual as I am, is a TWIG! Apparently a family trait of hers, that.

I'm officially underweight ( but only just), which is scary considering that i never stop eating. apparently i have a very high metabolism. not one ounce of fat on me i don't think! <-- come five years and i'll be obese!

I have no idea of my percentage body fat and so on.

But I'm definitely underweight for my height, and always have been. I have a tall and thin build (from my father's side). Think long-distance runner...

Of course the psychiatrist was just trying to make excuses and pick holes... (well, it's a radio discussion - they intentionally try to find people who'll disagree, to make it more involving...)

Personally, I think bodyweight probably doesn't have anything much to do with asexuality. Yes, it probably causes lack of libido, but that's a whole different thing.

Am a little underweight. Mum says it'll catch uop what with all the crap I eat.

Am about 5'4 or 5'5 and... I can't seem to get to 8 stone again. I was 8 and a half but got randomly sick and now can't get back up. Am now about 7.12-14 (99.96)

I should really do some exersize and start eating, but am a slob....

EDIT

I did a BMI thingy and got 17.2 but thats ok because 17 is my favorite number.....

the BMI hasn't been accurate for me for sometime as I carry a lot more muscle than most women do. I spent 3 years hauling around fifty pound objects five evenings a week. Now I just hit the gym on a regular basis.

I currently tip the scales at 200 pounds and I'm 5'10" tall. I'm no muscle bound type though, and I carry more fat than I should. Heavy bones I guess. I don't own a scale and I'm avoiding the one in the change room. I voted "don't want to know" until I can see my abs again. 'Course the way I eat...yeah, right.

I don't believe that obesity is a cause of asexuality. I think the psychiatrist was failing to make a distinction between asexuality and low libido.

But my BMI is 19 so I'm a bit underweight, I think

My BMI is 19, as well. *ticks the underweight box*

Cate

Last time my body fat was checked it was 4% and my BMI is 20. I've never even reached my ideal weight let alone go over it.

I am in the normal range and my friends refer to me as curvey, i have a relatively small waist with larger hips and breasts.... i cant remember what my body fat percentage is, but im definately not overweight. Plus i have been asexual even when i was 8 stone.

I also heard that having too little body fat can decrease one's sex drive, but I forget where I heard that. Anway, I'm 6'1, 167 lbs and I have roughly 4% body fat; with water weight, it increases to about 6%.

I am quite average. My friends tell me I'm skinny...but I think I must just give off some kind of skinny aura, I think I'm average. Though, I just watched Supersize Me...and well okay, I'm skinny. But I'm probably not healthy...I've never had a balanced diet, I just have genetics that make me what I am.

But the horniest people I know are overweight!! Most people I know who are overweight are quite horny and hyper actually. So I just don't know what to think.

Vicious Trollop

I can't remember what my BMI was last time I checked, but it was underweight. Since then I've put on 10 pounds or so, and I think I'm at a healthy weight. In any case, I think we've put this absurd theory in its place. :)

Definately!, maybe the adverse is causing asexuality, but i very much doubt it. Supposedly (in the US in 2000) 64% of adults were overweight, and Briton is supposed to be worse. Im finding this figure quite hard to believe.

Ben Ken

Overweight, yeah, right *L* I'm been underweight most of my life (not drastically, but enough to have to watch). I was actually an average weight for a while and then lost it and had been trying to put it back on for awhile. Im stable for the moment. Anyway, last I checked my body fat was 20%, but since my doc told me to do nothing physical for the past 6 months, it wouldnt surprise me if that went up a little.

I am over what would be considered "ideal" by about 25 lbs, but not for much longer. I was normal weight for many years, and I'm determined to get back to it and STAY there. (Everything that has been said about gaining weight when moving to the country is TRUE!)

The force of my German fraulein ancestors is very strong! All of the women in my family are pre-programmed to have butts that expand with ridiculous ease. In my case, though, I am also slightly wider through the shoulders than most women. Makes buying fitted shirts a royal pain.

For some reason, according to others, I don't show my real weight - but I still know it's there.

-Greybird

Anywho, if you want to fill in the poll. If you can, try not to do it by weight, but do it by "body fat percentage" (the percentage of your body is fat).

Here is the data:

'Normal' Body Fat for Men: 20% Fat

'Normal' Body Fat for Women: 28% Fat

Ben Ken

I did this by height and weight. How do I find out what my body fat percentage is? Does anyone have a link to the BMI charts?
I did this by height and weight. How do I find out what my body fat percentage is? Does anyone have a link to the BMI charts?

I have a program in Visual Basic on a different computer (one without internet access at my mom's house) that is supposed to calculate BMI for you. I suppose I could convert that to C/Java/C++ and put it online somewhere. Of course, there's probably 20 billion other places you can calculate it already, so what's the point?

On any internet discussion of weight which I have ever seen, the majority of people claim to be underweight. Every damn time, half or more of the forum in question claims to be skinny. I look at this with some skepticism, as the majority of the population is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, underweight. I don't know what to make of it.

At any rate, I clock in at 5'5'' and 113lbs. I have the kind of figure that women would like, but men generally find too skinny to be super attractive. It's a shame that some people kill themselves over body type- especially when a supposedly "ideal" one is really not that great.

Archived