Belief/Non-Belief Census

Henny

Belief/Non-Belief  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which of the following best describes your view of God/gods?

• Strong Theist
    • Pragmatic Theist
    • Weak Theist
    • Strictly 50/50 Agnostic
    • Weak Atheist
    • Pragmatic Atheist
    • Strong Atheist
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm a pragmatic atheist. I've never seen convincing arguments for the existence of any deity, nor have I seen any evidence that wasn't essentially a second or third hand account. While I can't totally rule out the existence of a god or gods, I think it is extremely unlikely that any exist.

However, I live my life where energy is manipulated by me and I sometimes may refer to energy as a deity and may even try to visualize energy as a deity in the form of a human to make myself or my brain more comfortable, since I am human. If that makes any sense at all.

I agree with this but see energy as just an extension of the physical Universe that just so happens not to be fully recognized by modern science at the moment. Therefore I don't feel like I need to have a theistic belief to practice energy, although I sometimes use a theistic paradigm for practical purposes. :)

I'm a pragmatic atheist. Don't believe in a god, but don't see any reason to get worked up about disproving one either.

Nika

• 2 weeks later...
Sleeping Beauty

I've read the entire discussion and I've noticed something I've already supposed. Scientists tend to be strong atheist forgetting how science did really emerged, which is not exactly a laical way ;) I see some conceit in this position.

I am a pragmatic theist because I'm not a scientist, and I'm not strong because I am a philosopher :D

I live under the assumption that there's about 99%-99.999% chance of God not actually existing. Or a pretty damn high probability anyway. You introduce me to some being able to do freaky things claiming to be god? More likely to think he/she/it is a representative of some species with better tech. Would take a lot to convince me there's actually a god there in the full on religious, all powerful, beyond reality and natural laws etc way.

So I put myself under strong atheist. I mean, it isn't impossible he/she/it exists but given how likely I think it is I tend to group myself there.

Most strong atheists I've talked to - hell even from what I've read of Richard Dawkins and he's pretty high on the 'I really don't think he exists' scale - would come under this. I doubt many rational atheists would ever say they're 100% sure there's no god. Especially the scientists. Just.... the odds are such that many can sound like that.

I call myself agnostic, but I put down pragmatic theist.

All my searching has shown me no evidence that any God is the right God. However, i can't disprove God, so I live my life as if there is something out there. I figure thinking there's a god out there can't hurt, y'know?

All my searching has shown me no evidence that any God is the right God. However, i can't disprove God, so I live my life as if there is something out there. I figure thinking there's a god out there can't hurt, y'know?

That's a strange way of thought. Do you reach the same conclusion regarding all the other things you can't disprove?

Hot_Air_Balloons

I firmly believe in God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit. I voted Strong Theist. I live my life according to my beliefs. I am a pretty spiritual person, but as religion goes I am Roman Catholic, although (oops!) sometimes I miss church! :unsure:

Hot_Air_Balloons

That's a strange way of thought. Do you reach the same conclusion regarding all the other things you can't disprove?

May I suggest reading about Near Death Experiences? People all tend to say similar things, and it definitely points to there being a God and life after death.

May I suggest reading about Near Death Experiences? People all tend to say similar things, and it definitely points to there being a God and life after death.

What I've read about such things sounds like there are physiological reasons, not theological ones, that cause people to experience similar things.

It's like sleep paralysis - it's not demons or aliens, it's physiology.

There are also studies that show NDE experiences are a result of neurological processes in the brain. So I am not sure if NDE's qualify as evidence for or against existence of a God.

Nika

There are also studies that show NDE's are a result of neurological processes in the brain. So I am not sure if NDE's qualify as evidence for or against existence of a God.

Nika

May I suggest reading about Near Death Experiences?

Yeah, completely healthy humans who are in no peril whatsoever can get them. When fighter pilots started being subjected to extreme gravitational forces in a giant centrifuge, they started to get NDEs. Why wouldn't it be anything else but a completely natural phenomenon?

People all tend to say similar things, and it definitely points to there being a God and life after death.

Explain your reasoning.

Would you say that Cargo cultists are true? After all, lots of Cargo cults across the Pacific spawned independently of each other at about the same time.

And as noted above, that's because there are neurological causes of those experiences. Saying similar things or experiencing similar things doesn't point to anything about religion. Most people find that sugar tastes sweet; does that point to any religious belief?

Archived