And we are a joke today- see this

Bee

I dunno, he was ridiculing it to a certain extent, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Thank goodness there's still a few of us who manage to resist every chance for a bit of smutty innuendo.

:?:

wednesday's child

Aww, I thought it was adorable! The author seems very supportive to me. What a cute article.

In a society that is so completely dominated by sexual imagery and suggestion, most of us would find this idea completely repellent. I mean, what they don't do in the privacy of their own homes is their own business, but why do they have to flaunt it so?

This is such a great line :lol: I love a good bit of parody.

I really don't think that was how the author intended it. It was a parody on how people would accept the introduction of asexuality as though we were some group of kinky fetishists. The part about our "graphic websites" with people sipping tea being disgusting points to it as being pure satire on the narrow-minded, not on us. Relax.

I LOVE IT!

*makes copy*

Hmmm, do I put it in my AVEN folder or my British Humour folder?

Cate

~gurgles~ That one's very cute. I do like a bit of humour that's dry but still open enough for me to actually get...

Borrible Cal.

hurrah for statistic recognition! :aven:

it does feel like a big leap for us, actually "existing" for others besides ourselves.

probably 'cause it is a big leap.

from article:

And at this year's motor show, the new Ferrari will be put on display with Ann Widdecombe draped across the bonnet.

ROFLMFAO. I'd like to buy this guy a drink. 8)

Vicious Trollop
The Aven website explains it in terms of a stereo. "Everyone has a volume knob and a tuning knob, there are some who have their volume knob turned right down." Unfortunately most men would find it hard to follow this mature treatise on sexuality, because they would still be giggling at the word knob.

No, seriously, this article is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Taping this up on my door, right next to the New Scientist piece.

I have to agree. While the guy's sense of humour is a bit obvious and overdone, it's pretty clear that it's a work of satire, and he's acting as if asexuality is actually a deviant fetish and is bemoaning its spread. I loved the bit about dirty old men having to get a special Web filter to block AVEN :D

And at this year's motor show, the new Ferrari will be put on display with Ann Widdecombe draped across the bonnet.

Now THAT was an image I could do without!

~Coral

• 3 weeks later...

God, that was the funniest article on asexuality I have ever read. I normally never read the Guardian as my politics is not the same, but this was brilliant. After reading endless po-faced reports on asexuality and countless dumb Internet comments on asexuality by people in various other chatrooms, this was a much-needed read.

Sherlock

I, too, thought it was rather priceless.

Obviously, Cate, you need a new, meta-folder, covering "Aven, British Humor and". Or, you could run out and buy a copy of the paper (as you are in Britain currently, as I recall. . . ) and start a clipbook. . .!

Now. Should I print this out and post in in my office at work? :wink:

Although the humor did keep my attention to the article, it all feels overdone, and basically lame. I personally found it more offensive than funny...and I usually have a pretty sarcastic sense of humor. I might just be overtired though.

Just being acknowledged that I really DO exist is all I need. I don't care if people say I'm sick, wierd, odd, fine, healthy - I don't care what they make of it, just being thought of as being REAL is good enough for me.

I wanted to slap that jackass halfway through the article.

Lighten up people, a movement can only be taken seriously if the people within it can laugh at themselves. Just look at gays in Britain. People like Julian Clary/Graham Norton constantly take the piss out of their sexuality, and homosexuality is now much more accepted.

Remember the old axiom:-"All new ideas go through these stages; first they are ridiculed, then they are vehemently opposed, before finally being universally accepted".I can't remember which famous person said that(could have been a scientist).

Sherlock

Live R Perfect

That article is I-ron-ic. I can't see how it is in any way offensive. Like Sherlock said, we have to have a sense of humour about ourselves.

Remember the old axiom:-"All new ideas go through these stages; first they are ridiculed, then they are violently attacked before finally being accepted".I can't remember which famous person said that(could have been a scientist).

I think it was Ghandi.

Or, at least, a bad paraphrase of him.

OK folks,

Call me obsessive but I seem to have slightly misquoted in my last message, and I hate errors. The quote below is the correct one and is by the great genius philosopher Schopenhauer:-

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-

Archived