Best responses to your asexuality

Pandoren

Wow, silverace, I'm honestly surprised to read that those responses came from a straight guy. Most of the (straight) guys I know are too hyper-masculine to admit to something like that! Congrats on having an awesome best friend! :cake:

I'm bi-romantic too, and I've only told three people: my very closest friends. One of them (guy) failed to understand the differentiation between "romantic love" and "sexual attraction" and therefore settled with calling me "strange," and one of them (girl) was really interested and open with me about it. However, my (girl) best friend's response probably tops those previous two, since she thought it was just awesome and wished she was "the same way as me so that [she] could love people honestly without having that soiled by their looks." ^_^

I haven't told my boyfriend, and I'm not sure I'll ever really need to. I'm pretty sure he's some shade of demi, and he doesn't place a big enough emphasis on sex for me to have a problem with it.

I thought there was one of these already...

I thought there was one of these already...

Edit: Found it!

I think the best response I've ever had was when I was talking to a friend as she realised that, when she counted she only actually had roughly 2 heterosexual friends (She's het herself). I felt guilty for screwing with her statistics so I said "yeah, I'm afraid you can't count me in that - I'm asexual... heh." She looked at me a couple of seconds and then said: "Oh great. So I only have one het friend! Oh well." :lol:

Topher, very smooth way to slip that into conversation! I don't know why I am so often surprised at open-minded Heterosexuals, they are more common than I give them credit.

Well, I'm weird I guess. My brother and I drive an hour to school almost everyday, and one of the courses he is taking is a Human Sexuality class. I was very disappointed that I couldn't get into the class myself so I always ask him about it and try to relate how I feel to the subject matter he talks about on our long drive home. One day he put it together based on contexts of previous conversations and said "Elodie, I wonder if you're asexual." I had never heard about asexuality, having grown up in Utah where anything to do with sex is against social morays and impossible to discuss and anyone who is not heterosexual is damned in the eyes of god. O.o (No wonder my family and I moved to California)

I mentioned this possibility to my boyfriend not to long after and he was a little confused, but he jumped on his computer and brought up a wikipedia page and read most of it aloud to me. He kept telling me how much it made sense and talked me through how it was a good thing that I didn't need to feel embarrassed about. Then he snooped around on the web until he found this forum and encouraged me to sign up. And Here I am, I brought it up to my Marmee yesterday I'm not sure if she understands what asexuality is.

There have been several, Mindsword. The most recent one now has this thread, the most active of them, linked in it.

Nah, I'm just a perfectionist. saw the thread and went, wait a minute...

Dancinglollipop

Me: So, yeah. I'm asexual. I just have no interest in sex.

Mom: That's fine, just don't tell guys that on the first date. I'd like to see you married off at some point in my life.

:rolleyes:

Me: So, yeah. I'm asexual. I just have no interest in sex.

Mom: That's fine, just don't tell guys that on the first date. I'd like to see you married off at some point in my life.

:rolleyes:

Way to miss the point! XD

ThePieMaker

The first person I ever came out to is one of my best friends who is also gay. It was just shortly after I had joined AVEN (I had been thinking I was probably ace about 6 months prior, but I never said anything to anybody before joining) and we were in the library at our college chillin' out and I was like "So, I joined this forum and it's really cool and the people are awesome!" and I told him some funny stories I read on here and interactions and whatnot and then was like "Yeah, it's a forum for asexuals. I'm pretty sure I'm one of them." And he just said "Eh, makes sense." Best response ever.

When my mom found out, she posted a facebook status, I won't quote the whole thing, but she said, I LOVE MY DAUGHTER! From the very first moment I knew I was pregnant, I loved her and long after my bones have turned to ashes, the love I have for her will still be there.

I seriously almost cried. XD

Also haha, I told her I was biromantic and she had no idea what it meant, and she was like "I know biro is latin for pen or something? >> Is that something to do with those roleplays she's in?"

XD XD

Love my mother.

Best: me: I'm asexual

nick: wait, does that mean you reproduce without a mate?

Funniest: me: I'm asexual

kristen: I thought you were a lesbian?

me: sigh......

Worst: me: I'm not interested in being sexually involved with anyone

brother: how can you not want something you've never tried?

Teagan KGB

I came out to my mom a few days back. (She seems pretty asexy herself. I think she's where I get it from.) She was like, "Yeah, that makes sense. As long as you are happy." But she understands me pretty well anyway, so I would have been freaked out if she had been like "NU, UR NOT!"

50 Cent Piece

Me: I'm asexual!

BestFriend: What's that mean?

Me: It means I don't want sex.

BestFriend: Oh. Duh.

We've been BF's since 2nd grade XD She would have been much more disturbed if I'd suddenly admitted I was attracted to someone after a whole life of complete indifference.

Mnemosyne

Yay!!!! Came out to a friend yesterday ... we were sitting at a pond, quacking at ducks and behaving in a quirky way when a heron landed on the opposite side. I started to imitate the heron mating call to get him close (it's a quirk of mine, I quack at ducks, bark at dogs, and so on and so forth). When I finally managed to attract him, the friend said:

Oh, look, he wants to have sex with you now!

I don't know why, but I answered:

I'm definitely the wrong species, maybe the wrong gender, and I don't care about sex anyway, so he or she is not gonna get what they want.

Friend asked what did I mean by that, I explained asexuality, referred him to AVEN, and we ended up in a lively debate on asexuality, gender, and other stuff ... my asexuality does not bother him in the least. :)

Yay!!!

Amputation Defenestration

My latest piece of loveliness:

"Me disown you? Never!!! You're still the hippy sunflower I know and love!!!"

.....Said the friend who started screaming at the top of his lungs IN CHURCH because he was so bewildered. And HE's the one who asked!

.....Said the friend who started screaming at the top of his lungs IN CHURCH because he was so bewildered. And HE's the one who asked!

This made my day. I can't stop laughing now. :lol:

This made my day. I can't stop laughing now. :lol:

Hahahaha..glad I could be of service :)

Emily - Coral

I've had a few entertaining ones.

I told friend of mine from college.

Me: "Well I think I'm pretty much asexual."

Friend: "I don't think we could deal with two of you so could you wait to clone yourself after we leave college."

Me: "I mean I don't get attracted to people, in a sex way."

Friend: "Thank God for that, I did wonder how you could be attracted to your boyfriend" (I've now split up with said boyfriend)

Another one was where a drunk guy tried to chat me up in a bar, I told him I wasn't interested because I was aseuxal. He stopped and thought for a minute and then said "Okay, can I just have your breasts then?"

pineapple_cake

one of these idiot guys at my work always makes sex jokes at me (one day asked me if my boyfriend had make me a woman yet O.o think of the most stereotypical guy you can!). So this is kinda how our conversation went;

guy: hey can I ask you a personal question?

me: I don't see why not

guy: are you a virgin?

me: yes

guy: when you --

me: I'm asexual, will you leave me alone now! (he bugs me about this stuff way to much!)

guy:whats that mean?

me: I'm not sexually attracted to anyone

guy: REALLY!!! how can I be asexual!? that would make my life so much easier!

. . . and so I continued to laugh my ass off for a while, and I'm now hoping he will leave me alone about all the 'well one day when you meet the right man and he makes you a woman' BS XD

Best:

Me: "You know I'm asexual, right?"

Miss Bennett: "You are? Hm, that kinda makes sense I guess."

Me: *checking for confirmation of positive response* "You know what asexual is, right?"

Miss Bennett: "Yeah, I think so."

Me: "I don't experience any sexual attraction."

Miss Bennett: "Yep. Sweet! I think I love you even more now; you're not like Pensive or any of those other idiotic males I hang out with."

Me: *=3* "You gotta find more girl friends."

Funniest:

Me: "I'm asexual."

Kitakka: "Like a dandelion!"

Me: "No, that's the biological definition, I mean I don't experience any sexual attraction. ><"

Kitakka: "Just accept it, Nate! You're going to sprout fuzz like a dandelion and you'll reproduce asexually!"

Me: "You guys aren't getting it..."

Chibialchemist: "It's okay, you can be dandy!"

The two of them still joke with me about that, so it is kinda our inside joke. And I refered to my friends by their DeviantART usernames as we all refer to eachother by our usernames (with exception to Miss Bennett, who doesn't have a username of any sort so I gave her a name(btw, she is actually 2 years younger than me, so don't let the name fool you), and exception to Pensive (whose name was given to him by Miss Bennett and she calls him that in real life)).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

The best responses I've gotten are just those people who accept it, but ask questions and want to know more, because they just don't really know what it is/means. Mind you, I've only told four people and they've all pretty much had the same response, but still. I appreciate it when people seem to actually want to know more.

Best:

Me: "You know I'm asexual, right?"

Miss Bennett: "You are? Hm, that kinda makes sense I guess."

Me: *checking for confirmation of positive response* "You know what asexual is, right?"

Miss Bennett: "Yeah, I think so."

Me: "I don't experience any sexual attraction."

Miss Bennett: "Yep. Sweet! I think I love you even more now; you're not like Pensive or any of those other idiotic males I hang out with."

Me: *=3* "You gotta find more girl friends."

Funniest:

Me: "No, that's the biological definition, I mean I don't experience any sexual attraction. ><"

Kitakka: "Just accept it, Nate! You're going to sprout fuzz like a dandelion and you'll reproduce asexually!"

Me: "You guys aren't getting it..."

Chibialchemist: "It's okay, you can be dandy!"

The two of them still joke with me about that, so it is kinda our inside joke. And I refered to my friends by their DeviantART usernames as we all refer to eachother by our usernames (with exception to Miss Bennett, who doesn't have a username of any sort so I gave her a name(btw, she is actually 2 years younger than me, so don't let the name fool you), and exception to Pensive (whose name was given to him by Miss Bennett and she calls him that in real life)).

Hhahahahahahaaaa! :lol:

My friend (talking about me): "She's asexual. She doesn't like sex."

Friend's prom date: "Thats cool."

Lol, maybe he wasn't even listening to her. :D

Not directly linked to me but in my english class a student teacher is leading a unit on the media and advertising. Today was the focus on sexuality in the media and asexuality was listed along with the rest. Quite a few people knew what it was and the class had a bit of discussion. The definition was slightly off so I gave our student teacher a link to aven.

Still it was a good class. There are now about 30 more people in the world that now know that asexual means something other than asexual reproduction.

Archived