Castiel (Supernatural)

zwitterion

Any Supernatural fans?

Yes, I think Castiel is asexual. (Lol, remember when Oblivious!Dean took Cas to the whorehouse? XD... yeah.) I think that's pretty obvious though, and not really why I'm posting.

I'm posting cause I came across this (old) LJ entry asking why people ship Dean/Cas. Tons of great answers, no arguing, but I felt like I kinda had to get my word in since the author never really seemed to grasp it. I don't even know if they'll read it, since it's so old, but I just found myself getting really into this subject, and learned quite a bit in the process.

I'd like to know what you all think of my theories and views on different types of relationships (asexual and non).

Click here.

(my posts are the last three, the only ones from Oct.)

First of all, I too think Castiel is asexual. He is also non-human. Make of that what you will.

And I do like the idea of him developing a strong attachment to Dean.

With the way the character thinks, acts and feels though, it would have to be very carefully done. I'm not entirely certain whether I can imagine him having any kind of romantic feelings, as I'm not sure he understands the idea of wanting something for himself. As we see on several occasions, when he has no orders or pressing business to attend to, he simply sits quietly and waits. He doesn't even pick up a book to entertain himself.

It is also telling that he does not show the slightest sign of being uncomfortable in the body of a very young girl; physical form is not something he has come to view as a part of himself, which suggests he's still mostly angel.

However, I can imagine him wanting to prove to Dean that he is not worthless, that he is deserving of love. I can see him trying to give Dean a hug, and I can imagine Dean being rather nonplussed. But I have difficulty imagining anything more.

Because in my mind, Castiel is still something of a child. Cognitively, he is several millennia old. But angels have no emotions, remember? He's only had to deal with those pesky little chemicals interfering with his rational thoughts for approximately one year. I don't know about you, but I'm twenty one and I still haven't got the hang of it. There's also the matter of his innocence, or even just his inability to gauge appropriateness. Despite knowing what a brothel is, he fails utterly in comprehending the sort of behavior one ought to adopt in such a place.

And he's still saying things like, "This has nothing to do with flat bread.", showing a marked lack of comprehension where sarcasm is involved. It's the old book smart vs street smart argument: in anything pertaining to the thwarting of the Adversary, he is highly proficient, but when it comes to functioning in the human sphere, he's still got a little way to go.

There's also the fact that before the Uriel's betrayal and demise, Castiel had never made a choice for himself.

I thought it was really interesting in the episode you mention (the one with the whorehouse) that in the future, when Dean sees what Castiel would be like if he was more like what Dean considers a normal human, he tells him at the end "Don't ever change." That may be due to the shear creepiness of his flaky, somewhat hypocritical attempt to initiate a mass orgy.

But his sexuality (or lack thereof) is only part of the equation. An outward sign of something fundamental to his personality. Because I think the thing that defines Castiel, the thing that separates him from his angelic brethren (except perhaps Anna), is his hesitant yet genuine compassion. At the end of It's the Great Pumpkin Sam Winchester, he admits that he hoped Dean would choose to save the town, because 'these people. They're all my father's creations." He even manages to feel compassion for the denizens of the den of iniquity Dean so ill advisedly drags him to. This isn't a power play for him, as it is for Uriel, and arguably Zachariah. Castiel is driven by a desire to do what is right, to protect the people he has been ordered to love. In some ways, I think placing the life of one person above others has already forced him to compromise some of his ideals. It's difficult to say what sort of changes a deeper attachment might bring.

Wow. That was really long. Sorry, I guess I got a bit carried away...

Violet_Loves_Iliona

That was great - and the scene where Dean reveals hi bi tendencies was hilarious, Space Cadet! :cake:

Though of course they've discussed an even more over-the-top storyline, which they appear to have lifted from the lines of the many internet message boards - in one episode they talked about how so many people "ship" them together (it's called "Wincest" :blink: ). It was done for comedy, and indeed those guys play up to it at every opportunity, but they did say they weren't that way. :P

But getting back to Castiel, I strongly agree with you. I absolutely think that Cas is asexual, but I have also thought that Cas was romantically attracted to Dean for a long time now. Not in a sex way, but in a very strong, asexual way... I'm glad to hear someone else mentioning it.

After all, on several occasions

he disobeyed what he understood to be direct orders from God because of his love for Dean; In the last year's season finale, he even told Dean how he could destroy Lilith, by deliberately putting the prophet in danger, forcing the archangel tied to the prophet to smite her in order to protect the prophet

And it certainly doesn't hurt that I love the character of Castiel (who apparently was originally only going to be in a couple of episodes, but since the actor and character were so great and because there was such great chemistry, the makers of the show decided to extend keep Castiel in the show!).

Violet

I had never considered that Dean might be bi until I read this thread. He's always so staunchly and adamantly hetero. But now I'm beginning to see what you mean... And it sort of makes sense. Because let's face it, Dean is just so ridiculously over the top in that department he's reaching toward Captain Jack territory, a thing we Tropers like to call "Anything That Moves".

I still can't bring myself to interpret anything Castiel does as having any kind of romantic undertone, but that's the great thing about this show: they leave a lot of room for personal interpretation and debate.

And yes, every time they mention the fandom, I laugh. A lot. The look on their faces when Sam is trying to explain slash is priceless... It's very like the look on my face when I discovered there was a thing called "Petrellicest". I don't think I've ever been so creeped out...

• 8 months later...

I had never considered that Dean might be bi until I read this thread. He's always so staunchly and adamantly hetero. But now I'm beginning to see what you mean... And it sort of makes sense. Because let's face it, Dean is just so ridiculously over the top in that department he's reaching toward Captain Jack territory, a thing we Tropers like to call "Anything That Moves".

I still can't bring myself to interpret anything Castiel does as having any kind of romantic undertone, but that's the great thing about this show: they leave a lot of room for personal interpretation and debate.

And yes, every time they mention the fandom, I laugh. A lot. The look on their faces when Sam is trying to explain slash is priceless... It's very like the look on my face when I discovered there was a thing called "Petrellicest". I don't think I've ever been so creeped out...

I have been known to read some Dean/Cas. LMAO Dean and Captain Jack hit the town would be hysterical. Ah tropes. Aliens made them do it was a favourite for a long time.

Yes I think I had that same look on my face too!

Seriously, I want some Dean/Cas fic that explores Cas being asexual. I read one but it.... it was well written but it wasn't exactly showcasing asexuality in the best of ways.