What do "butterflies in your stomach" feel like?

Cupcake_Master

Cupcake_Master

I've never had a crush, so I wouldn't know.

From what I've heard, it sounds different from being nervous, or hungry.

Do you only get them from crushes?

For me, it's a sense of nervousness, slight nausea, and wanting to flap my hands or do anything to avoid sitting still. XD I get antsy when I have the butterflies.

And yeah, I've had them before going out on a date with someone I really liked, and before an important test, and before I came out to someone for the first time - it's not an exclusively romantic/crush thing at all.

My friend (who is sitting next to me) says that it feels like you are weightless, like you're floating. And nervous and giddy at the same time. It's an amazing feeling. You feel like you could do anything. and this is verbatim. Haha.

I wouldn't know, I've never had butterflies.

Well, I don't think it's exclusively romantic. randakinley's description reminded me of the way I felt going into an anime convention. But I was super-hyper.

My friend is usually super hyper when she does anything so that could be why. Haha. I again say I have never felt it so I am just as much in the dark as some on here.

I get butterflies when I'm super nervous and I feel really nauseous when I do. I only get butterflies when I'm dealing with guys.

My friend (who is sitting next to me) says that it feels like you are weightless, like you're floating. And nervous and giddy at the same time. It's an amazing feeling. You feel like you could do anything. and this is verbatim. Haha.

This is pretty much it, haha.

Well, the crush kind of "butterflies in your stomach" are not really the same (for me) as when I'm just feeling nervous (in a good way) or excited about something. .. Say like; The nervous/excited butterflies in your stomach before going on a trip I've been looking forward to, or the excitement of finally getting your hands on a video game you've been looking forward to.

So yeah, I definitely don't think it's something you only experience when you have a crush on someone.

I think "giddy" is a good word to use, when describing how you feel and act when you have a crush. "Giddy" is such a weird and funny word, in my opinion, and that's pretty much exactly how I feel! :lol:

Actually, I think the English language in general is very good at describing being in love. :) Take the word "crush" for example. The Faroese equivalent would be "early love". Which is kind of correct and to the point, I suppose. But man how boring!

Anyway, for me it feels stronger than butterflies. It's more like a rubber band has been stretched inside your tummy somewhere and every now and then (either by seeing the person or just thinking about them) it goes "twannnnnng" and it tickles like hell and you can't help but smile and curl your toes and maybe giggle a bit or do a big happy sigh. :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

You all have it wrong, except for that persons friend. It feels so incredible. It feels like warm and fuzzy in your stomach you get when your lover/crush/boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife etc moves you.

Like let's say they said something that really made you think, feel, was nice, sweet, so much that it moved you in such a way. It is like that. It feels floaty and drifty and it moves you. It is inexplainable and the greatest feeling. Bad thing is, it happens for like 2 seconds and it is gone. It is a rare rare feeling. It doesn't happen often or stay long. Maybe that is why it is so incredible. It really feels good though.

To me butterlies in one's stomache is just nervousness in general, basically when it makes your stomache feel quesy or even sick and in turn reduces your appetite.

Either that or one has turn into an insectivore.

mephostophiles

I've always used an anger analogy, as I think the physical feeling is more similar than being nervous.

That is, feeling one gets when furious—not the urge to hit someone,

but the part of it that manifests as a burning in your gut and a building pressure in your chest.

At least in my experience, that's what butterflies feel like as well.

I think it's the contexts that differentiate them, as the feeling in-and-of itself is neither pleasant nor unpleasant, really.

But maybe that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

It feels like you're going to throw up.

Seriously. I've gotten the butterflies in my stomach feeling a lot. Sometimes I'm nervous, sometimes I'm overexcited, but either way the feeling is so intense that I feel like I could explode. Dx

Having at one time in my life, a severe adrenal disorder and about 6 panic attacks a day... butterflies in the stomach can be fun (like waiting in line for the new Zelda) or a pure hell torture.

This. I feel like I have to move around. I sometimes have more of a skip to my step. Can't stop smiling. It feels like my stomach is empty, but it feels good. Oh, does it feel good. I love the feeling of butterflies in the stomach. Gives me a bit of a permagrin for awhile.

Ok, two thing about "butterflies"

From personal experience, your whole torso feels like there are butterflies crawling all over it. thus the name. and your limbs sort of feel like they're on fire. its not a painful fire, its a ticklish fire.

second, if you want butterflies, get on a roller coaster. it feels the same, but it doesn't last as long on a roller coaster.

snufflebottoms

This is EXACTLY what butterflys feel like. :D

Archived