Can someone be Polyromantic?

Cupcake_Master

Cupcake_Master

People always say Heteroromantic, Homoromantic, Biromantic, Panromantic and Aromantic.

What about the Asexual equivalent of Polysexuality?

Okay, to make my question less blunt..

Why does no one talk about it?

Well, people talk about polyamory (basically "loving more") on here fairly often, actually. Is that what you mean - the idea that an asexual can have close relationships with more than one person at a time? I've just never heard the term "polyromantic" come up before, possibly because of the much more widespread use/understanding of "polyamory."

What would the difference be between polyromantic and panromantic?

Polyromantic would describe someone who is attracted to multiple genders, but not necessarily all genders, and not necessarily equally. Panromantic describes an equal potential to be attracted to people of any combination of gender and sex.

What would the difference be between polyromantic and panromantic?

Polyromantic would describe someone who is attracted to multiple genders, but not necessarily all genders, and not necessarily equally. Panromantic describes an equal potential to be attracted to people of any combination of gender and sex.

I thought polyromantic meant you were attracted to more than one person at a time, and panromantic meant you could be attracted to anyone regardless of their gender.

• 1 year later...

That's polyamory; polysexuality (or polyromanticism) is used to refer to something different.

Budding off the original posters comment of how come Polyromantic's aren't talked about; if your definition is correct on the different between panromantics and polyromantics. How come polamory isn't talked about?

As I myself identify as Polyromantic with your defention but also use the Poly to imply that I could have more than one partner at a time as in polyamory

your thoughts?

Polyromantic is a confusing term. I first thought it meant polyamorous and asexual.

I guess it doesn't come up because people just say biromantic or panromantic? I'm not really seeing the difference except that people don't want to think in terms of a gender binary?

Polyromantic is a confusing term. I first thought it meant polyamorous and asexual.

I guess it doesn't come up because people just say biromantic or panromantic? I'm not really seeing the difference except that people don't want to think in terms of a gender binary?

Well, here's how I think of it, but by no means does it mean I'm right. This is just my perception.

I identify as (more or less) polyromantic. I am not polyamorous. I am romatically attracted to cismales and other androgynes, regardless of their physical sex. Now, I identify as an (agender) androgyne. So what would "heteroromantic" mean for me? What is the opposite of androgyne? And anyway, if we were using physical sex for this alone, biromantic wouldn't fit either because I'm not romantically attracted to cisfemales. Panromantic doesn't work either for the same reason. Perhaps we need to further expand the terminology?

I identify as (more or less) polyromantic. I am not polyamorous. I am romatically attracted to cismales and other androgynes, regardless of their physical sex. Now, I identify as an (agender) androgyne. So what would "heteroromantic" mean for me? What is the opposite of androgyne? And anyway, if we were using physical sex for this alone, biromantic wouldn't fit either because I'm not romantically attracted to cisfemales. Panromantic doesn't work either for the same reason. Perhaps we need to further expand the terminology?

Thanks for a good example of where polyromantic fits but bi- and pan- don't!

There's a certain point where it becomes easier to use multiple words to describe yourself and your sexuality. Seems like saying "I'm attracted to cismales and androgynes" is the easiest way as there's no natural one-word grouping for specifically that.

Just curious, are you not attracted to trans men or women who aren't androgynes? If person X is ace and attracted to person Y, does that mean that it's more likely that it doesn't matter what kind of genitals Y has?

Thanks for a good example of where polyromantic fits but bi- and pan- don't!

There's a certain point where it becomes easier to use multiple words to describe yourself and your sexuality. Seems like saying "I'm attracted to cismales and androgynes" is the easiest way as there's no natural one-word grouping for specifically that.

Just curious, are you not attracted to trans men or women who aren't androgynes? If person X is ace and attracted to person Y, does that mean that it's more likely that it doesn't matter what kind of genitals Y has?

I have never been attracted to trans men or trans women, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely because 1) I have known only a few trans people, and 2) because I occupy a "grey area" of romantic attraction, somewhere between being romantic and aromantic. I am only rarely romantically attracted to anyone, but also because I'm not sure if it's truly romantic attraction, or just a wish to have an intimate, non-sexual relationship with someone. The line between platonic and romantic relationships is blurred to me, so that I am quite non-sexually intimate with some of my cisfemale friends, even though I'm not romantically attracted to them. And I'm not sure if what I believe is romantic attraction is actually just a strong desire to have a close friendship with someone (platonic attraction???) But this doesn't make since either because all the friends I've ever had have been people I've known for a while before I start to develop friendly feelings for them. So...would that make me demi-platonic? Honestly, this all gets so confusing that I don't see the point of trying to find words to describe it all. It is what it is.

Archived