French, an asexual language?

devdev

Le français, qu'est-ce nous pensons de cette langue?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Your status:

• want to learn french
    • am learning french
    • have no desire to learn french
    • meh (don't care either way)
    • already fluent
  2. 2. Are you in a country where it is important to know French?

• Yes, it's important where I live.
    • No, but I want to move to a place where it is important.
    • No, I just like the language.
    • Don't care either way.
    • Other.

I took french for 4 years in high school and again in college. It occurred to me that although it was less popular than Spanish (which isn't a surprise, living in Southern North America), but the people in my French classes tended to be either flamboyant gay or of questionable orientation. Of course, my sample size was quite small, but these observations seemed to be overwhelmingly consistent, which makes me curious what you all think.

I also remember reading a poll about the languages people on AVEN spoke. Thought it was interesting which percentage of people speak French, but perhaps that's only because it's a more popular language than the others. Although I've never been to France, I love French culture and language.

Please note, I'm not trying to say that people who want to learn French are tend to be asexual, but that asexual people might tend to want to learn French more than other languages. Am I crazy, or could there be some sort of correlation?

When I was younger I wanted to learn French...then I had an interest in Spanish (for a short time), but in high school i studied German, and now I'm studying Japanese...

I think I just have an interest in languages in general. I don't care about learning french, but if i had the opportunity, i would probably take it for the mere reason that it would be another language to add to my developing list (not while i'm taking japanese classes though...i have my hands full with that right now)

i think Russian would be cool to learn (realizes that this statement doesn't really have to do with the subject...is simply stating her humble opinion.)

Eh, who knows if there is a correlation...only time will tell (or like the number of licks to the center of a tootsie pop, the world may never know*)

*the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop depends on each individual, and can be solved rather easily with simple calculus. :lol:

note: due to lack of sleep M.H. is losing all logic, so if her posts do not makes sense, that is why...sorry for any inconvience :P

Well I don't know if French would be an Asexual language. I'm into the Asian languages (Japanese, Chinese, Hindi, ect). And I'm into Spanish

I would like to learn French mainly because I love to learn, but also because I have a few Moroccan friends who often speak it. However, I would rather learn German, Russian, Icelandic, and Gaelic.

I took Spanish in high school, and really should have taken German. I would have learned more because I like the language, and the teacher was better than the Spanish teachers. Plus, I would have been able to go to Germany my senior year of high school. I only took Spanish because Hispanics are the majority ethnic group where I live.

pawprint prettysure

Your status:

have no desire to learn French

Are you in a country where it is important to know French?

Other. (Knowing French is not important and I have no desire to learn the language.)

I like language, but non (excluding Spanish) are important enough in my environment for me to learn. I'd probably never use French anyway; that's one reason I don't spend a lot of time on languages.

What's ironic about this thread is that it runs totally counter to the popular cliché that French is a very sexy/romantic language. For me what's even stranger is that the only reason I am currently studying French is that I plan to move next year to a French-speaking country and live with a fellow AVENite so I guess I would have to agree that French is an asexual language. :blush:

What's ironic about this thread is that it runs totally counter to the popular cliché that French is a very sexy/romantic language.

That was essentially my initial reaction, haha.

No offense, but personally, I can't stand the way French sounds; it just grates on my ears. But, then again, I think German is a beautiful language, so that should tell you how valid my opinion is. :P

I'm studying German and Japanese at school, and I've taken a year of Irish Gaelic. I'm planning on picking up Anglo-Saxon sometime in the next few years, too.

Salut!

Well, I just moved to France for a year..... and i'm asexual... LIKEOHMYGOD. Just kidding :P Not about moving - I am actually in France. My story's a bit different guess... I used to live in France when I was 10 till I was 13, but went to the British School of Paris, so didn't learn the language much. It did give me a headstart when I was back in England and I guess it planted a seed in me - I always felt an urge to return and actually immerse myself in french. So, 10 years on, here I am, teaching Engish in 2 primary schools.

It's been a while since I took french lessons (except for the 1 month this summer in Montpellier) but thankfully i'm feeling waaay more comfortable than before. It no longer hurts my head when i'm surrounded by french-speakers - and can actuallt participate in a lot of convos. I'm FAR from fluent - but YAY FOR PROGRESS!

I think languages are fascinating, and i'm fed up with the 'Oh but there's no point learning languages cos English is the Global Language'. I find it a bit disheartening. The knowledge of other languages can create new links and enable people to share ideas. It depends where you live and what your situation is, but I think languages will become increasingly important as the world gets smaller.

I'd love to learn Spanish properly too, and Icelandic. This one language called Kannada that they spoke in India where I was ages ago remains the most beautiful language i've come across though! Written, especially.

I am French-speaking and asexual, but of course, that's just a coincidence.

I have to second what bydefault said because I have this impression too (although I don't feel it that way) that French (and Italian) language and people are often used in movies, jokes, etc to depict romantic or sexy things so completely opposite to asexuality (e.g. Pepe Le Pew :P ).

Also, in French, all words have a gender (female or male), we don't have neutral (like in German or like the "it" in English) so it makes it a more "gender-aware" language and therefore less asexy (IMO, again).

Perhaps many people on this board learn or know some French because it's one of the usual foreign languages that is widely taught in the world in high school (right after Spanish, but probably as much or a little more than German) and we have many people on AVEN who are well / highly educated, graduate or graduating and with wide interests / fond of learning new things (languages being one of them).

What's ironic about this thread is that it runs totally counter to the popular cliché that French is a very sexy/romantic language.

Haha that's what I thought.

I have no intention of learning French ever in my life. The language isn't appealing to me.... No offense ><

I'd be fine if I just know English for the rest of my life.

I am French-speaking and asexual, but of course, that's just a coincidence.

Me too :)

I like french but I wish I knew another language just as good. I still have to go to some english-speaking place to really practice my english. I learnt german for almost 10 years and still I can hardly speak it, I can understand a decent amount of it but it's hard to answer back.

Oh and here, everything you buy has it's name in 3 different languages :P

I seem to know enough French words to make people think I know more than I actually do. :D I don't have any special plans to travel to a French-speaking country, and it's definitely not a useful language for California, so my basic statements about haricorts verts are going to have to do.

Don't want to learn French. German, Japanese, Russian, Farsi, etc, all rank much higher. Spanish would be far more useful as well.

I know French as well because... I'm French. But it is no use for me currently because I'm not in France. I don't think French is an asexual language. Actually, I don't think any language is asexual given that ,for example , none of the languages is gay.

My father basically made me take French in high school. I hated it, more because I was being forced to learn it and would have rather studied Japanese than out of actual dislike for the language. But I don't particularly like the sound of it. I don't get why people say it's pretty or romantic...

Assez confiant.

I think it's a fantastic language.

Oh and here, everything you buy has it's name in 3 different languages :P

Switzerland is fantastic though.

J'ai vécu trois mois à Montreux

Archived