Drinking Habits

Myr

Drinking Habits  

1. 1. Have you ever drink an aloholic beverage?

• No, because I don't want to (for whatever reason).
    • No, simply because I am underage. I plan to try a drink once I reach the legal drinking age.
    • Yes, but I don't want to again (for whatever reason).
    • Yes, and I continue to drink on occasion.
    • Yes, and I drink socially regularly.
    • Yes, and I drink regularly, socially or otherwise.
  2. 2. How much alcohol do you normally consume?

• I don't drink enough alcohol to feel any significant effects.
    • Enough to feel a "buzz."
    • I like to get drunk.
    • It varies.
    • I don't drink, as indicated in my answer to the first question.
  3. 3. Why did you try alcohol? (If more than one answer applies pick the one that played the biggest role.)

• Social reasons
    • To see what it tasted like and if I would like it
    • To see how it complimented certain foods
    • Religious reasons
    • To see how alcohol would affect me
    • None of the above
    • I haven't tried alcohol yet, as indicated in the first question.
  4. 4. Do you think drinking alcohol is a bad thing, regardless of who is doing it or the situation?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Do you think someone who drinks alone is an aloholic, or will become one?

• Yes
    • Not necessarily
  6. 6. Do you think the laws related to alcohol distribution, consumption, and intoxication in your country are fair?

• Yes
    • No, I think they are too harsh.
    • No, I think they are not strict enough.
    • My answer depends on the particular law.
  7. 7. Have you ever driven a car when you were over the legal limit?

• Yes, and looking back it wasn't safe for me to drive.
    • Yes. but I did not feel or appear to be impaired.
    • I don't know.
    • No, even though I can drive and do drink.
    • No, I don't drink, but I can drive.
    • No, I can't drive, and don't drink.
  8. 8. Do you combine alcohol with drugs that are known to intensify and add to the alcohol's affects (including marijuana and/or those that are legally prescribed)?

• No, but I do use them separately.
    • No, I don't drink or use those kinds of drugs.
    • No, I just drink.
    • No, I don't drink, but I do use those kinds of drugs.
    • No, but I may in the future.
    • I have in the past, but don't want to anymore.
    • Yes.

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm just curious what people's attitudes about alcohol and drinking behaviors are. Feel free to post your answers and reasoning, but please be respectful of other people's responses.

I'll post some of my answers and thoughts:

I do enjoy drinking very much, but not cheap, nasty alcohol. I enjoy the complexities of beer and wine in particular, and can appreciate a good whiskey/scotch and martini. What I drink depends on what I am eating, who I am drinking with, and what the occasion is. Sometimes I drink a small glass of Irish cream to fall asleep.

I do often drink alone, but I seldom get drunk (even when I am drinking socially). I don't entirely understand why many people think drinking alone is such an awful thing. I just enjoy a good drink, whether or not anyone else is present. However, I do feel strange drinking alcohol in a social situation when no one else is.

I also don't understand why certain religious groups who use the Bible believe drinking is wrong- Jesus' first miracle was to turn water into wine, and he used wine in Holy Communion.

If you understand my political views, you know my thoughts on drinking laws.

My family encouraged me to try alcohol (wine). They seldom let me drink more than a couple of sips, though would sometimes give me a glass of wine at family parties once I entered my teenage years. I first went wine tasting in Baja California when I was twelve, but didn't go tasting again until after I reached the legal drinking age.

Mr. Ten Below

I don't drink. I've tried sips of different types of drinks here and there, just to see what they tasted like, and I didn't like any of them. Alcohol tastes even worse than it smells, to me. Only once did I take a second sip of any one of them, and it was because I'd accidentally tried the champagne before I knew there was going to be a toast -- you can't just lift up your glass for a toast and then not take a drink, haha. Well you could, but I didn't want to be rude so I took another sip. It was disgusting. :lol: I coughed and choked and gave it to a friend to finish.

That being said, I also don't want to start drinking because my father is a recovered alcoholic and most of his family is too, and I am afraid I'd become one pretty easily. Kind of an addictive personality. Oh, and also, people turn into morons when they get drunk. I've seen it too often. Just not interested in doing that myself, thanks very much.

"I get paid, paid to get drunk..."

Okay, not really. I first started drinking at 19, out of curiosity I guess. I got pretty drunk sometimes in college, but not nearly as often as a lot of other people that I knew, I was often "the sober one". Now, I don't drink too often because I'm poor and none of my friends live nearby; I'm not going to drive somewhere, drink, and drive home (which answers the drunk driving question). I know it's illegal and dangerous also, but I have bicycled drunk many a time. Also, I hate throwing up or feeling sick, which means I usually drink in moderation. I'll have one drink with a meal by myself, but that's all for drinking alone. For me, drinking was always a social thing, and I really do miss those alcohol-laden times :D

Have you ever drunk an aloholic beverage? No, because I don't want to (for whatever reason).

My reason for this is that I've known far too many people with alcohol problems and it scares me so much that I avoid alcohol as if it were the plague.

How much alcohol do you normally consume? I don't drink, as indicated in my answer to the first question.

Why did you try alcohol? (If more than one answer applies pick the one that played the biggest role.) None of the above. I've tried sips here and there just to see what all the fuss was about. Tastes as bad as it smells! :wacko:

Do you think drinking alcohol is a bad thing, regardless of who is doing it or the situation? No. However, I do lean a little towards yes since there are certain situations where it can be a bad thing.

Do you think someone who drinks alone is an aloholic, or will become one? Not necessarily.

Do you think the laws related to alcohol distribution, consumption, and intoxication in your country are fair? In my honest opinion, no, I think they are not strict enough. Then again who am I to say such a thing since I'm not speaking for the majority of people who enjoy drinking alcohol (moderately or otherwise). So am going to go with 'not sure' on this one.

Have you ever driven a car when you were over the legal limit? No, I can't drive, and don't drink. oops :P I put can't drive, I can... I just don't.

Do you combine alcohol with drugs that are known to intensify and add to the alcohol's affects (including marijuana and/or those that are legally prescribed)? No, I don't drink or use those kinds of drugs.

I drink on occasion, mostly beer and wine. I like them, but I don't think being drunk is cool. I've never been drunk or buzzed; I don't think there is anything cool about getting drunk.

I drink socially, when alone with my partner, or when alone in general from time to time. I don't think drinking alone makes me or anyone else an alcoholic in the making.

I don't need alcohol to enjoy myself, aside from a couple of "no-nos" that make me very sick rather than tipsy, it doesn't really effect me. I've developed a taste for dark rums recently, but otherwise favour wine (although it doesn't like me), vodka, coffee liquors and absinthe.

I like the taste of what I drink.

I've tried maybe 5 molecules (exaggeration) of alcohol. Not even a full sip, I just touched my tongue to it- and it was disgusting. No thanks. I've tried screwdrivers heavy on the orange juice- but even a glass of orange juice wiht a drop of vodka tastes awful to me. I just can't stand the taste, smell, or effects of alcohol.

As for the drinking laws- it's not like anyone follows them.

Have you ever drunk an alcoholic beverage? Yes, and I continue to drink on occasion.

How much alcohol do you normally consume? Enough to feel a "buzz."

Why did you try alcohol? (If more than one answer applies pick the one that played the biggest role.) Social reasons.

Do you think drinking alcohol is a bad thing, regardless of who is doing it or the situation? No.

Do you think someone who drinks alone is an alcoholic, or will become one? Not necessarily.

Do you think the laws related to alcohol distribution, consumption, and intoxication in your country are fair? Yes.

Have you ever driven a car when you were over the legal limit? No, even though I can drive and do drink. (Although, like CBC, I don't have my license. Or at least, not my full license. I have driven before when I still had my learner's - which I technically still have, so I could drive, but the opportunity to drive very rarely comes up.)

Do you combine alcohol with drugs that are known to intensify and add to the alcohol's affects (including marijuana and/or those that are legally prescribed)? I have in the past, but don't want to anymore. (Depending. I won't blaze if I've already been drinking, but I might if it's offered to me before I start drinking. In my experience, combining the two has made me feel really sick.)

Have you ever drunk an alcoholic beverage?

Yes.

How much alcohol do you normally consume?

Sometimes I'll get drunk, but I learnt not to get too drunk because it was pretty hard to deal with afterwards...

Why did you try alcohol? (If more than one answer applies pick the one that played the biggest role.)

I think the first time it was to taste with food. (Wine if I recall correctly)

Do you think drinking alcohol is a bad thing, regardless of who is doing it or the situation?

No.

Do you think someone who drinks alone is an alcoholic, or will become one?

No.

Do you think the laws related to alcohol distribution, consumption, and intoxication in your country are fair?

Well, I had the privilege to buy alcohol before AND after the law reducing the alcohol distribution come into place, I have to say it was easier before, you just went and buy what you needed. But it's never been a problem since the law is applied, I just buy booze earlier in the day.

Have you ever driven a car when you were over the legal limit?

No, although I do drink and I do drive, I never do both. If I know I'm gonna drive then I don't drink. If I know I'm gonna drink then I don't drive. That's the reason a lot of my friends didn't even know I had my licence :P

Also, driving is a big part of my job right now, so if I lose my licence... no job!

Do you combine alcohol with drugs that are known to intensify and add to the alcohol's affects (including marijuana and/or those that are legally prescribed)?

I've had in the past. I haven't done any drugs in a long time and I don't think I want to...

pawprint prettysure

Have you ever drink an aloholic beverage?

Yes, and I continue to drink on occasion.

note: "on occasion" means about once or twice a year

I don't drink enough alcohol to feel any significant effects.

Why did you try alcohol?

To see what it tasted like and if I would like it

Do you think drinking alcohol is a bad thing, regardless of who is doing it or the situation?

No

Do you think someone who drinks alone is an aloholic, or will become one?

Not necessarily

Do you think the laws related to alcohol distribution, consumption, and intoxication in your country are fair?

Yes

No, even though I can drive and do drink.

Do you combine alcohol with drugs that are known to intensify and add to the alcohol's affects (including marijuana and/or those that are legally prescribed)?

No, I just drink.

Nalle Neversure

This:

Have you ever drink an alcoholic beverage?

Yes, and I continue to drink on occasion.

note: "on occasion" means about once or twice a year

I don't drink enough alcohol to feel any significant effects.

Why did you try alcohol?

To see what it tasted like and if I would like it

No

Do you think someone who drinks alone is an alcoholic, or will become one?

Not necessarily

Yes

No, even though I can drive and do drink.

No, I just drink.

smallnsparky

I had to misvote on the Driving question, as I do drink, but I can't drive but there wasn't an option for that choice.

I mainly drank during university, when I'd go out with my friends and have a laugh, or at student parties but right now, post uni and broke, I don't go out, but it's more of a fincancial/away from my friends reason more than I chose not to, as I would go out tonight if I had the means and company.

On the subject of getting drunk, I liked feeling tipsy, but I've never gotten drunk for the sake of it and I'd usually have water or fizzy pop between alcoholic drinks mand eat something before going out and after. Being so drunk you can't walk isn't attractive or safe.

There was no option for I do drink but can't drive. I drink way too much, and I tie it with my anxiety. I've been cutting back for that, and to avoid all the calories! I was drinking until I get drunk nearly everyday for a while, and I could just feel my health deteriorating.

I never drink in public, always at home alone. I only drink where I feel safe. I mostly drink beer and whine, but sometimes my mother and I decide to make mix drinks for everyone and on New Years the whole family drinks champagne. In Texas, you can't buy hard alcohol on Sundays; I don't care too much for that law.

There was no option for I do drink but can't drive. I drink way too much, and I tie it with my anxiety. I've been cutting back for that, and to avoid all the calories! I was drinking until I get drunk nearly everyday for a while, and I could just feel my health deteriorating.

I never drink in public, always at home alone. I only drink where I feel safe. I mostly drink beer and whine, but sometimes my mother and I decide to make mix drinks for everyone and on New Years the whole family drinks champagne. In Texas, you can't buy hard alcohol on Sundays; I don't care too much for that law.

Love your liver :) (that's my drinking motto)

I drink occasionally, to get a buzz. I usually drink alone but am nowhere near an alcoholic, I'm just a happy loner.

One question I couldn't answer accurately because I drink but don't drive.

I enjoy drinking. But not to the point of oblivion, I love that happy drunken state. As long as you know your tolerance and your own personal limit, I dont think there is a problem with using substances.

Most ppl dont know their limit, or choose to ignore it and go above and beyond when drinking or doing whatever. How can you enjoy being drunk, if you get plastered? You cant, and then its not fun anymore..its a mess and hell to clean up.

I have tried it twice before. Mostly because I was curious about how it would affect me. The first time was just a buzz, and had little effect, the second time, I was so drunk, I got sick. -_- The second time I did it was out of sheer curiosity to see what being drunk was like. I did drink alone, which is why I say that drinking alone doesn't necessarily make you depressed (I didn't even know that drinking alone was associated with depression until after, when my friend told me, and I was like, no...).

I don't drink anymore. It's not a strict rule or anything, and I would drink again, I just don't want to and don't think I will. I have nothing against other people drinking, as long as they're relatively safe about it. As far as the law goes, I think they should just lower the drinking age to 18 (I'm in the US). It's stupid that you can be considered an adult at 18, can be locked in jail or thrown in the army, but you can't have a drink. I think people would be a lot less stupid about drinking if we were more open about it and allowed younger adults to have some. Everyone does it anyway, so... the law is kind of pointless.

midsummer.mist

Yes, I drink alcohol regularly. I like wine very much (I prefer red wine to white wine) and so I drink nearly every day wine in the evening for dinner, but seldom more than one or two glasses. And occasionally I drink a small glass of liqueur. Limoncino ... hmmmm ...

I drank more in college than I do now, probably like everyone else. I do still drink in social occasions, but I do not drink enough to get drunk. There are far too many alcoholics in my family and the thought of being like them scares the hell out of me.

I don't drink. The reason I don't drink is I don't like the taste and see no need to "develop" a taste.

I have no problem with other people drinking unless it's to excess and they cause problems (such as drunk drving, harrassing other people because their judgement is impaired from drinking, etc.).

Both my grandfathers were alcoholics. My mother also drinks quite a lot.

I started drinking at age 16, and started smoking weed as well. By the time I was seventeen, I also started using speed, E, and coke.

I stopped using hard drugs when I hit 18, and stopped pot a few months ago (I'm now 19). I however continued drinking frequently, about 5 times a week and often 8-12 drinks.

I've just decided it was enough with this, and had my last beer on Friday night. It's been only two days but I hope I can stay sober and never drink again, or at least never until I learn the meaning of the word moderation.

I don't drink. I did have a few glasses of wine as a kid, because my family would give them too me at special dinners, but at that point in time I wasn't aware of what alcohol did. I never liked it though, the taste was gross. Now I don't drink for many reasons.

As one of Aven's more prolific drinkers...well, you can probably guess what my answers were.

I'm not a big fan of beer, unless it's microbrewed, I tend to stick to higher-end whiskeys and scotch drinks (I love me a good whiskey sour) though I will drink the cheaper stuff if it's the weekend and I just want to get drunk. Also vodka, occasionally tequila and cognac. I recently had a scotch, pyjamas and cigar party....drank Buchanan's finest (12 year scotch) and a 15 and 16 year old scotch that I can't quite recall the names of right now. Bourbon is by far my favorite, however.

Admittedly, if you've heard me talk in chat before, you know my drinking has gotten me into massive trouble before, and I'm probably a bit of an alcoholic (if I don't drink at least a few drinks at night I have trouble getting to sleep.)

Hard to answer on some of them, (because I DO drink, but not much) but what it amounts to is this:

I drink about one drink every few months or more, when I see fit. Beyond that I tend not to drink.

I've been tipsy a couple times (inadvertently, I'm a lightweight, so one drink can do that if it's strong).

I tried alcohol first due to pressure (mostly because they bought me a drink and I felt badly to not try it). I've tried other things to find things I like and have a few I can tolerate, but I'd prefer a milkshake or a soda, quite honestly.

Don't drink and drive. Don't do any other drugs or mix anything with the booze.

I think the drinking and driving laws should be harsher and the legal age should be lowered.

CrazyCatLover

I drink on occasion, but never more than 2 units at a time. When I drink alone (which I do not believe makes me an alcoholic -- current or future), it is usually to cure insomnia. I don't do drugs at all.

I NEVER drink and drive. One of my friends was killed by a drunk driver when we were both 14... Now his little brother drinks and drives which makes me want to punch something, but that's a different topic.

• 2 weeks later...

All right, so I basically picked the harshest answers against alcohol, this must make me some kind of bigot against alcohol. :P

Alcohol is like sex to me, except worse. At least I'm just mostly indifferent to sex, but alcohol consumption, and especially how it's made to be the greatest thing ever _ and if you don't drink, you're a massive loser/geek _, just plain pisses me off. I'm a college student in south-western France, where "student parties" (which I believe involve nothing but sex and massive amounts of alcohol) happen every week and many people actually look forward to them (they're actually proud of it), and god help you if you ever say something about not drinking out of choice. Getting pissed is the finest thing in life, and if you don't like it, well you're part of the silent minority who should really stay quiet. Being in Bordeaux, where wine is basically worshipped, doesn't help. I'm just bitter. <_<

Speaking of bitter, I did try a few drinks out of curiosity, and all of them tasted like shit. I guess people don't drink for the taste but just to get drunk. :rolleyes:

Archived