Expanded Horizons

Hallucigenia

Hallucigenia

So I've been doing a project that involves looking at long lists of places where fiction can be published.

Much to my surprise, this webzine called "Expanded Horizons", while listing a lot of other things they seek to publish - increasing the number of women, people of color, ethnic diversity, people with disabilities, pagans/wiccans, etc - includes this paragraph on their submissions page:

We want to increase the number of gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer and asexual people in speculative fiction. We are an actively anti-homophobic and safe space for voices of GLBQ and asexual authors and for stories authentically portraying GLBQ and asexual characters and their experiences. Show us positive, realistic examples of strong GLBQ and asexual protagonists. Show us that a story can feature GLBQ or asexual characters without being “about” sexual orientation or lack of. Show us these characters in their own, unique voices.

On the word "asexual", it links to asexuality.org.

Score one for the asexy folks! You can see the whole page here: http://expandedhorizons.net/magazine/?page_id=5

That's cool :)

It would be great to see some (more?) fiction where one of the main protagonists is asexual without the story being about asexuality.

That's cool :)

It would be great to see some (more?) fiction where one of the main protagonists is asexual without the story being about asexuality.

Well, the protagonist's asexuality would have some role to play (even minor), no? Else, it doesn't matter mentionning it, in my humble opinion.

(I was precisely thinking about writing a story like this; an asexual character, but the story would not focus on that, except in one part where it would cause all sorts of troubles, another character falling in love with him etc.)

Well, the protagonist's asexuality would have some role to play (even minor), no? Else, it doesn't matter mentionning it, in my humble opinion.

(I was precisely thinking about writing a story like this; an asexual character, but the story would not focus on that, except in one part where it would cause all sorts of troubles, another character falling in love with him etc.)

Right, but it doesn't have to be the main focus.

And how about something where the asexuality does NOT cause problems, but maybe is actually a good thing? :)

(just thinking there's enough negative opinion when it comes to asexuality...)

Archived