age you first thought of yourself as asexual?

About around 12~13. I realized towards the end of middle school I didn't want to be with anyone sexually ever. Most people would say thing like "That will change when you get older" but it never did.

Blood Angel

Come to think of it, during college I used to have seizures of some kind in sex education classes, it only became noticable in college really when somebody pointed out, that I looked as white as a ghost. Basically in my perspective, I began to sweat drastically and it felt like my mind was leaving my body, my vision became blurred to a point I was blind.

I never found out what these seizures were, but I remember it happened a few times when I was stoned and when I first ever used a treadmill. I find that eating food and orange juice help bring me back down to earth, so if anyone can figure out what these seizures were, then 1+ internets to you.

But I think it was brought on by all the talk of STI's etc. I guess it may have put me off sex a little bit.

I knew I was different sexually since I first became sexually active at 14, but I thought that other things (body issues, anxiety, etc) might have been inhibiting my libido or sexuality in some way. Within the last few months, I discovered AVEN and realized that I am actually a gray-a. I'm 20.

TheAceOfHearts

I started to go "hang on, Im not like everyone else" at 12-13 but only since the end of last year did I discover the name for it :)

Just a few days ago when I found AVEN at 24 years old.

Up until then, I thought I was wrong or broken in some way because society and friends made me feel like I should want sex. I allowed sex to happen because "it's what a good girlfriend would do to please her partner" and "maybe if I just get used to it I'll like it more". It was also confusing because I could often enough enjoy the physical sensations once they were happening, so I never realized that asexual was an option for me, just a girl with sex issues or something. It's still more confusing because I'm aesthetically/physically/romantically attracted to people. But I've never felt physical sensations in the pants just by looking at someone and thought that having sex with them would be something to aspire to. I'm reasonably sure that makes me asexual, but I'm still giving it a lot of thought, and AVEN is an amazing resource for figuring myself out :)

about 12 or 13, other girls started to wear make up and make themselves attractive, I never had the urge. In my late teens I did have some crushes but absolutely froze when the other person started to want physical stuff. I have never felt the need for that.

I was twenty when I first heard the term asexuality (in the context of orientation) and AVEN. I've been aware of that lack of attraction, however, since adolescence.

I was probably 16 or 17.

I never thought as myself as anything. My friends would joke and say "You don't like sex or interested in it at all? What are you? Asexual?"

The name stuck for me and I've used it thinking that pretty much I was the only one that thought this way... until of course I was introduced to this site yesterday.

darkpoetess

I realized it from a very early age, I just didn't know that I could name it. Before adolescence, everything was fine with me, boys and girls pretty much looked the same body wise and nobody was having sex. And I remember dreading growing up. I cried every birthday until there was no point in crying anymore because adolescence finally arrived. I was horrified to see my body changing even though I knew it would happen. Sorry if I'm going TMI here but while all my other female friends were excited when their cycles started, I was convinced my life was over. I nearly passed out and my mother had to catch me and keep my head down. She didn't know what the hell was wrong with me, lol.

I finally came to terms with it when I realized that I didn't have to do what everyone else was doing. I just decided on my own that I was ok with being who I was and that my physical changes had no bearing on the person I am now.

darkpoetess

about 12 or 13, other girls started to wear make up and make themselves attractive, I never had the urge. In my late teens I did have some crushes but absolutely froze when the other person started to want physical stuff. I have never felt the need for that.

I can really relate to this. I didn't start wearing any makeup till I was 15, my mother couldn't believe she never had to fight me not to wear it too young. I did have some crushes also, holding hands and kissing I enjoyed, but it angered me that they would want it to go further. I couldn't figure out why things couldn't stay as they were. I refused to wear bras too until my mom practically had to force me, lol. I was in total denial over growing up physically. I was a lot like Vada from My Girl....no wait, I'm still like Vada from My Girl lol.

I suppose I have known that I was asexual since I was very young as a child. But, back then, I labeled myself heterosexual because I felt that I mostly leaned to the straight side a little bit. But, it got increasingly more obvious that I never liked anyone sexually, and I felt different for bit, but not broken. I labeled myself asexual about 2 years ago when I was 19 years old and discovered AVEN.

Well I had no idea about asexuality before discovering AVEN at 18, but I did get a couple of hints before that.

Throughout most of my teenage years I identified as heterosexual, because overall I found men more aesthetically pleasing. I had (few) "crushes" on both men and women, but since I found the men cute, I considered myself heterosexual.

I talked about these to my friends, who answered stuff like "Oh, yeah, I bet you dream of him naked ! Why don't you ask him out ?", and I was left thinking "No I don't, and no... should I ? :huh: ". It occurred to me that all I wanted to do with these "crushes" (yeah, so squishes in fact) was ... talk ? And I wasn't sad at all when they didn't turn into romantic relationships, quite relieved actually. Apparently this isn't what actual crushes are supposed to be OR SO I'VE HEARD. :lol:

During high school I've begun to feel more and more left out as my friends started getting boyfriends (I was really upset when my then-squish did). I remember feeling so crushed and somewhat disappointed when I discovered that two girls who were "like me" (geeks, in another word) had already kissed and been in relationships.

And then there was this incident right before my 18th birthday, when an obnoxious salesman started making idle chitchat with me and eventually mentioned "my boyfriend", to which I replied I was single and not interested in anyone at the moment. Then he just stared at me with this weird, disbelieving look. Um, okay ? I had no idea what could be so wrong and strange about what I had just said.

A couple of months later I discovered AVEN and had an epiphany. :cake:

35 this might sound wierd though if i knew it was a option which i did not know until a few weeks ago i would of defined my self asexual in my teens

worldwanderer

I started just questioning if I was either straight or gay around 19-20.

Dropped the whole thing when neither one seemed to fit, until I ran across a "Don't like sex" topic in Deviantart which lead me here. Been at least three or four years since.

I first joked about being asexual some time after taking biology and health in middle school. Probably around 13-14? I didn't care at all at that point, but I had to give some kind of answer to my friends who were beginning to realize that boys exist. After entering high school I still didn't really care. While the rest of the people in my circle of acquaintances went on to a "more adventurous" high school life, I hung out with people who were too busy reading giant math, physics, chemistry, and biology textbooks to waste energy on talking about sexuality and dating and all that wonderful mess.

But there was this particularly intellectually oriented upperclassman who, one day through some casual chatting with me, told me, "You're probably asexual, like me." The 15-year-old me laughed and half-jokingly, half-seriously affirmed his statement. I really did feel like I didn't belong in any of the 3 conventional categories of sexual orientation, but I would some day find out right? I can't just be asexual and that's that. Don't know how it came to be but after junior year, I just settled down on the idea (too busy being a nerd and worrying about college I suppose). Then I found this place =)

biromanticseniorgal

I've identified as asexual for around 25 years, before that I identified as bisexual.

mad_scientist

Huh, a lot of people identity as ace from a fairly early age. Around puberty.

That's when a lot of their friends are becoming sexual.

Yeah exactly. Although plenty of people seem not to have found out about asexuality till they were much older, and hence had no name for themselves.

A couple of days ago and I'm 16. I went through many different stages before I got to this one though... I thought I was bisexual when I was 11/12, then thought I was homosexual, then thought I was pansexual not too long ago, then thought I was homosexual again, then realised I'm a homoromantic asexual. :P

I was 17, which was in 1975.

I don't use the word asexual, I prefer ace. My gay friends don't tell people that they are 'a homosexual'.