• Asexual with MPD/DID
    • Asexual with a history of abuse
    • Asexual suffering from depression
    • Asexual and i can tick of 2 of those above
    • Asexual and i can tick of 3 of those above
    • Asexual and i can tick of 4 of those above
    • Asexual and i can tick of 5 of those above
    • Asexual and all of the above
    • ASEXUAL AND U CANT PUT ME IN A BOX DAMMIT!! (hiding)
    • Asexual and I am unsure if any or all of the above apply to me
    • Asexual. Just asexual and none of the above apply to me
  2. 2. Neurotic

• Yes
    • Mild
    • Very mild
    • Almost non-existent
    • No
    • Maybe
    • I dont know
    • Im not c-c-c-crazy
    • I find this poll offensive <-(everyones welcome to their own opion thats how i get away with calling that denial)

This poll is closed to new votes

Ive been hanging around this site for a few months now and have only recently joined and im seriously starting to wounder wheither or not this whole asexuality is present in 1% of the population is actualy true. This entire site is laced with anti-sexual themes, indeed whole threads seem to be devoted to them as the rest of us seem to casualy/hurriedly step out of the lime light.

But it dosent stop there there seems to be a multitude of groups setting up inside aven who may or may not be using asexuality as a catch all end all phrase in order to find a community of like minded people where they can in some way fit in or be a part of and its not like these people are even hard to find. All throughout this site more and more post's and polls are popping up dealing with issues that some people seem to talk about as if they were by-products of asexuality or a significant coincidence like aspergers, depression. People that by all means are neurotic in nature or all ready socially repressed in one way or the other. While i think and i hope im not alone in this that asexuality is a byproduct of the issues, but still can u call it asexuality, is it asexuality at all or is it meerly another facet of sexuality or something different all together that seems to have slipped into the grey zone between

So i was just woundering if my thinking or if my musings were right ill accept that any conclusion that i pull from this may be flawed but still it should be interesting all the same.

Weeeeellllllll...I'm probably going to feed into the asexuality is by product of an issue mentality now by checking the depression box. I suffer from depression so I'll check it.

What this fails to realize is that I was asexual before I suffered from depression AND...my depression is clearly the result of the race race fighting for a job, fighting with my parents, my stupid intimacy drive, having my career and college interests denied and suffering from a chronic illness*.

I would say the job and depression connection has always been the strongest going by how my depression got better when I saw hope for getting a job and when I landed a good paying job, my depression went way way down, until I was laid off for now reason before the job started.

Then I was more depressed then ever.

My depression and asexuality are not connected IHO.

* On the other hand, I do suspect my chronic illness which started when I was ten yrs old as being a suspected cause.

It messed up me up so much physically that I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't develop normal sexual desires as a result.

I wonder if I should count that suffering from abuse?...That is one of the feelings I got being trapped by my illness, but not sure it's the traditional defination.

I'm just straight up asexual. All though I think my extremely practical nature might be related to it. Or me being an egomaniac.

I'm just straight up asexual. All though I think my extremely practical nature might be related to it. Or me being an egomaniac.

egomania.... might have too add that in the future because now that u mention it i do view the general poulation as inferior....

While i think and i hope im not alone in this that asexuality is a byproduct of the issues

Tons of sexual people have issues.

And tons of asexual people do not have issues.

I fail to see the logic of the connexion you're trying to make.

While i think and i hope im not alone in this that asexuality is a byproduct of the issues

Tons of sexual people have issues.

And tons of asexual people do not have issues.

I fail to see the logic of the connexion you're trying to make.

who said it was logical???

i only said the results would be interesting.

And as for people having issues well everyone knows that, i was just wounding if those outlined above could possibly contribute to people forcing themselves into asexuality as i personaly think a small minority could be and wheither anyone else shares similar or opposite views.

Weeeeellllllll...I'm probably going to feed into the asexuality is by product of an issue mentality now by checking the depression box. I suffer from depression so I'll check it.

What this fails to realize is that I was asexual before I suffered from depression AND...my depression is clearly the result of the race race fighting for a job, fighting with my parents, my stupid intimacy drive, having my career and college interests denied and suffering from a chronic illness*.

I would say the job and depression connection has always been the strongest going by how my depression got better when I saw hope for getting a job and when I landed a good paying job, my depression went way way down, until I was laid off for now reason before the job started.

Then I was more depressed then ever.

My depression and asexuality are not connected IHO.

* On the other hand, I do suspect my chronic illness which started when I was ten yrs old as being a suspected cause.

It messed up me up so much physically that I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't develop normal sexual desires as a result.

I wonder if I should count that suffering from abuse?...That is one of the feelings I got being trapped by my illness, but not sure it's the traditional defination.

Goes to shwo that u can never ask to many questions lol

still very interesting and defiantely food for thought thanks for the input

I know that depression can cause a decrease in sexual urge/ libido ('cause I'm a psych major and all), but the point there is that it's a *decrease*, which means that the person has experienced some kind of sexual attraction to start with. Also, I've worked in a mental hospital (the kind you don't check yourself into) with some extremely messed up people--but most of them were still sexual. In fact, quite a lot were hypersexual.

The average depressed person isn't depressed all the time. There are ups and downs. If you're asexual when you feel like crap and still asexual when you don't feel like crap, maybe you're just asexual.

But anyway, from personal experience, I'm just asexual. I'm well grounded, fully adult, and I've experimented enough to know that there's nothing there. Nothing bad happened to me as a kid. I have good genes that are full of reproduction. I just don't want anything to do with it.

If you're asexual when you feel like crap and still asexual when you don't feel like crap, maybe you're just asexual.

Uh oh...Whenever I have days when I'm not feeling crappy I seem to switch over to "sexual" mode. But when I feel crappy which is often I feel asexual....*sighs uncalmly*

Why can't demis vote? Or do you just want 100% asexy folks? :unsure:

ohh opps totaly slipped my mind, so sorry. Umm vote anyway dont see me complaining :D

I'm grey-aromantic and I have been 'abused' in the past. Not by family, but by my peers. I suffer from social anxiety disorder because of the bullying I had to put up with for many, many years.

I highly doubt that has anything to do with my asexuality as I can and do develop close relationships with people. And there are people I have been attracted to in the past, albeit not sexually. The most physical I've ever felt like being with them is cuddling and kisses on the cheek.

Uh oh...Whenever I have days when I'm not feeling crappy I seem to switch over to "sexual" mode. But when I feel crappy which is often I feel asexual....*sighs uncalmly*

Thanks for the honesty, and i seriously doubt your alone hope more people end up finding this page

I'm asexual.

I'm part of a multiple system, none of us have MPD or DID. We don't fit any of the symptoms of either.

I have depression.

I'm demi or grey in everything else- I'm demiromantic, only polyamorous when I'm intereseted in more than one person and totally fine iwth monogamy the rest of the time (no, this isn't true across the board), etc.

I don't know if I'm neurotic.

Yes, I suffer from Depression/OCD.

Yes, I've been abused, sexually and psychologically by boyfriends I've had.

No, my asexuality has to do with neither.

I've been asexual since as far back as I can remember. I hit puberty early. Not super early, but early for my class. I just never developed a sex drive. I don't even feel anything down there. I've had my thyroid checked and no hormonal issue.

I feel like every post is just testing my orientation or trying to force me to justify it. What else is there to explain?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a very happy asexual (romantic hetero asexual). I've never suffered from any disease, illness, abuse, etc, which may have caused my asexuality. I'm just like that.

Asexual suffering from depression

I know I'm not depressed because I'm asexual... but am I asexual because I'm depressed ? doubt it :unsure:

I view asexuality as only one small facet of myself as opposed to some all-encompassing self definition, I fail to see how most other events in my life are really relevant.

"I'm asexual" is not an accurate portrayal. I'm me, and me happens to be asexual as well as at least 75 other things. That's how I see it.

I feel like every post is just testing my orientation or trying to force me to justify it. What else is there to explain?

Exactly. We've had about 15 threads on this issue. How many more do we need?

Archived