ASEXUALITY SHOW IN MELBOURNE FRINGE FESTIVAL

Sar

Just wanted to say hello, and tell any Melbourne kiddos who may be interested, that I have co-written a show for the Melbourne Fringe Festival called "Donna & Damo: an asexual love story" on between September 25-Oct 10 2009 at 'The Loft' (in the Lithuanian Club), 44 Errol St in North Melbourne, nightly at 6.45pm (show is 1 hour in length).

There's been a lot in the media recently about asexuality, and I happened to see/hear a number of articles and interviews and became interested in exploring asexuality further, and I suppose giving a voice to it. I am not asexual myself, however in researching the topic found that there were a number of asexuals with stories and experiences which were utterly inspiring to me as a theatre maker.

So many stories from the asexual community are hilarious, and sometimes mind-blowingly disturbing (in terms of what asexuals have come up against from the attitudes of sexual people). I suppose the topic is inherently fascinating, and I certainly empathise with the shared experiences so many asexuals have.

I've somehow ended up with a Fringe show based around asexuality, and if you live in the Melbourne area it would be terrific to have you along.

The style of writing is often humourous, but also touching and heartfelt. There is always a certain whimsy to the characters I create and an 'other-worldliness' to characterisation. My hugest fear is being criticised for how we have portrayed our two main (asexual) characters, because there is quite a simple, Australian flavour to them, and an ordinariness which infiltrates the overall stye of the show...Please if you come along, know this is merely the writing style I have developed over a long time and does not tie in to the portrayal of a sexual orientation, nor is it used to exploit it. Simply, my writing tries to reflect the ordinary in the extraordinary and the extraordinary in the ordinary - that says it all, really! The comedy and entertainment value that come with the show are merely incidental and do not rely on asexuality to work their magic.

If you have any questions, please say hello and have a chat with me. I really tried to research and get to know the many and varied experiences of a large number of people in the asexual community before writing the show. The show is subtle in its approach, and will hopefully be a great laugh and an entertaining night out for anyone, asexual or otherwise.

Cheers!

Sarah

Awesome! I'd love to come see that. I live in Geelong so it's not a great stretch for me.

hey sarah, that sounds awesome.

kinda wish i was still in australia to see it....

good luck. hope it goes well.

any chance u could send me a copy of the script?

Good luck on the production and i hope it goes well

I was just thinking recently that there should be a play about asexuality; I'm glad to see that there is. I would love to see it, but unfortunately, I'm on the wrong continent. If you put the script and/or footage of it online, let us know.

Nuts! I am booked to go to Melbourne on the 13th of October!

Violet_Loves_Iliona
Just wanted to say hello, and tell any Melbourne kiddos who may be interested, that I have co-written a show for the Melbourne Fringe Festival called "Donna & Damo: an asexual love story" on between September 25-Oct 10 2009 at 'The Loft' (in the Lithuanian Club), 44 Errol St in North Melbourne, nightly at 6.45pm (show is 1 hour in length).

Wow, I can't wait - I've just put it in my diary now! :)

... I can't wait to see it! :)

hi sarah,

i saw your show the other night. it was really, really cool and very funny. so just wanted to say congrats and also cheers for taking on the issue.

Violet_Loves_Iliona
The style of writing is often humourous, but also touching and heartfelt. There is always a certain whimsy to the characters I create and an 'other-worldliness' to characterisation. My hugest fear is being criticised for how we have portrayed our two main (asexual) characters, because there is quite a simple, Australian flavour to them, and an ordinariness which infiltrates the overall stye of the show...Please if you come along, know this is merely the writing style I have developed over a long time and does not tie in to the portrayal of a sexual orientation, nor is it used to exploit it. Simply, my writing tries to reflect the ordinary in the extraordinary and the extraordinary in the ordinary - that says it all, really! The comedy and entertainment value that come with the show are merely incidental and do not rely on asexuality to work their magic.

Hi Sarah, I just came from your show a few hours ago, and wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your show. :cake: :cake: :) :cake:

It was funny, and also provided a wonderful explanation of asexuality for any non-Aces that might come along. There were also some quite heartfelt moments, but overall it was a very funny comedy, and I really enjoyed myself, so I'm really very glad I went along.

As it happens I was running late and wasn't going to go, but boy am I glad I did! :)

If you have any questions, please say hello and have a chat with me. I really tried to research and get to know the many and varied experiences of a large number of people in the asexual community before writing the show. The show is subtle in its approach, and will hopefully be a great laugh and an entertaining night out for anyone, asexual or otherwise.

I would have liked to have told you in person how wonderful it was, but I had to leave straight away, so please accept my congratulations here on this forum for a mighty fine show indeed. :)

Kind thanks for putting on a show on such a little-heard-of group of people as us, and once again congratulations on a wonderful show! :)

Violet

Oh wow!!!! That is so wonderful!!! Thank you so much for your feedback. We have been getting such positive feedback (4 stars in the Herald Sun!!!) and I am thrilled to know you were able to come along and see something Close to home that didn't mock or get in the way of entertainment value.

You are the best way for us to gauge how we tackled the subject, so I am hugely pleased you enjoyed it! Thankyou for taking the time to see our little show, and giving feedback! We will be having another season later this year, which is very exciting!

Sarah x

Hi Sarah,

You have no idea how shattered I am that I can't come and see this show. Shattered, shattered, shattered, shattered. I live in Melbourne, but I am overseas at the moment, and won't be back until March next year. I am a friend of Rosie, Lucy and Brigi, and nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw this on Facebook. I know you've already written the play, but if you're ever interested in asking questions/talking to/meeting an Asexy person 'for real', I'd be delighted. Truly delighted. I commend you absolutely for giving heart, soul, visibility and humanity to asexuality, in a world where we are often invisible or much much worse. I am proud of who I am, and I am proud to see that identity reflected in your creative passion.

Thank you for your interest, your respect and your willingness to take this risk.

Your 'friend of a friend' x x x

Archived