AVED 2009!

ily

annwyl_cariad

Didn't get a ton of reaction to my facebook status post today (except that 3 of my friends that I had already come out to "liked" it! The support felt cool! And Sammie, one of them commented that he liked the "don't give a fuck" line!)

I did get one friend who commented that she once formed an "Asexuality Club" with her friends to vent frustration about dating drama, and I just replied that as much as I hate dating drama as well, this was actually about the orientation, haha. :rolleyes: She hasn't said anything back, but that's okay. If she does, I'll answer her questions, and if she doesn't, at least I exposed her to this.

Oh, and Ily, you're welcome to it! :) I like your flier idea!

The only friend who responded to my tweet on twitter said something along the lines of "they have a day now??"

She doesn't know that I'm ace. She knows that one of our mutual friends is though, so that's how she knows of the term asexual.

I forgot about it until it was too late to do anything. Oh, well. I suppose I can still try later; it doesn't have to be AVED to help visibility.

I snuck a reference to AVED into a status update, but no mentioned it. I got a few likes but they may or may not have taken notice of that part. I'd like to have made a more direct reference, but I don't have the courage to come out to my family yet, and there would've been trouble if they'd seen that. Ah well.

I did wear my "...are better than sex" shirt around campus. It got a few strange looks and a few laughs from my friends; I'm not sure they got that it wasn't just a gag, but I'm going to keep wearing it openly from now on. At some point I'm sure people will start asking questions =D

SpirallingSnowy

I chalked in a car park - pics to follow!!

also posted it in twitter, and shared the event on facebook!!

I already came out to everyone on there when i was on tv, but i felt i needed to do something :)

I feel like I let the team down...I just shared the link to the AVED event on Facebook..that's all :(

Oh well at least it's something ;)

I did the post-it thing, and some fliers, but I also took a little less-conventional action -

See, I never heard anything back from the campus newsletter OR from the Spectrum people. (Wrote them weeks ago, and not even a reply...I thought that was a little rude) So, I decided I didn't need an organized lecture to spread the word. Not having an AVEN t-shirt, I wrote "Ask me about AVED" on my hand. I actually got a few takers!

Next year, though, I think I'll go with a t-shirt...or at least a sticker. The top of my hand isn't as readily visible.

The only two people who replied to my thread both already knew about Asexuality, but they are asking me questions (it looks like the AVEN campaign already reached these two, lol, one of them was talking about an article...) One of my favourite bits of the reply was "I guess I feel that sexual orientation is a bit of a farce. Like, we state that we are hetero, homo, bi, or asexual, but can we know this for sure? Are we hetero because we have not met the right member of the same sex? Are we homo because we have not met the right member of the opposite sex? Are we bi because we are all so overexposed to sexuality? Do we experience feelings of sexual attraction because we feel that we should? Do we not experience feelings of sexual attraction because we feel like we shouldn't?" That's like the Anti-You Just Haven't Met The Right Person Yet response :D

annwyl_cariad
One of my favourite bits of the reply was "I guess I feel that sexual orientation is a bit of a farce. Like, we state that we are hetero, homo, bi, or asexual, but can we know this for sure? Are we hetero because we have not met the right member of the same sex? Are we homo because we have not met the right member of the opposite sex? Are we bi because we are all so overexposed to sexuality? Do we experience feelings of sexual attraction because we feel that we should? Do we not experience feelings of sexual attraction because we feel like we shouldn't?" That's like the Anti-You Just Haven't Met The Right Person Yet response :D

My god I love that response. It totally deconstructs the idea that our sexuality is static. Words and labels are fine to help people understand our typical inclinations or lack thereof, but ultimately nobody fits perfectly into those categories throughout their whole life.

A friend sent me the best message on Facebook ever in response to my status:

Yay! I'm not the only one I know!

I did a little dance around my room when I got that! It's a nice feeling to have connected and to have a friend close by who understand all the crap (and the awesomeness) that comes with being asexy.

I then got another message from another friend who thinks she may be asexual! Which is interesting. She said she had a lot of thinking to do about it but I hope, even if she decides she isn't, that I helped some by putting the info out there.

Oh, and I also got the super positive response of:

Well done you. You don't have to want something just because other people want it or expect you to want it. Go your own way!

:cake:

I wasn't able to do something yesterday but today at my gay queer equality club meeting, I'm going to hand out some of the pamphlets

AFlyingPiglet

I know ages ago, I said I was going to drop a line about Asexuality to the Equality & Diversity Team at my place of work. Since I have been looking for and buying a house, this has gone on the back burner. I did nothing on AVED day itself, but it inspired me to pull my finger out and do something about the above by the end of this week.

I have finally just 'penned' the Equality & Diversity Team a line (which I have emailed to my work email address to check over and send off to them through the internal mail on Monday). I will send it to them with the attachments I have printed off. I have also hinted in the note that I would like a response and that I am happy to talk further.

I'm so happy XD I put one of the papers with the defintion on the inside of one of the clear plastic newspaper holders in my dorm (so that it wouldn't rip/be torn off/etc) & noticed today that it was moved to the inside of another one (I'm guessing because so it wouldn't get in the way of newspapers)! This may sound insignificant, but it shows that someone not only noticed it, but was considerate enough to still keep it around instead of just throwing it out.

Archived