The Ace as a Symbol of Asexuality

Typical Power

So I've been thinking.

There is a lot of talk about weather the Ace should be a Spades or Heart.

(Obviously each has their opinion including both, or none.)

But I was thinking....

Wouldn't it make sense to use the Ace of Hearts as a symbol for the Asexual romantics,

and the Spade as a symbol for the Aromantic Asexuals?

I'm probably not the first one to suggest this, but I'd like to know your opinion on it.

And I don't mean to confuse anyone with the symbols we already have..

And In case you don't know,

Here are the asexual symbols:

http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?t...s_of_asexuality

Hmm i like your thinking but i dont really think it would be the best of ideas in sucha a large/wide spread community such as asexuals we really dont need something that would force us to break us up into smaller factions I think it would be better to stick with just the one but again i do like your thinking

how about like in your picture an upside down heart, it looks like a spade and a heart. and you can color it to your preference, black like a spade for aromantic or red or rainbow for romantics, but the upside down ace means asexual

how about like in your picture an upside down heart, it looks like a spade and a heart. and you can color it to your preference, black like a spade for aromantic or red or rainbow for romantics, but the upside down ace means asexual

That's interesting,

except for the fact that I'm colourblind and have issues seeing red as black.

Hahahaha.

Hmm i like your thinking but i dont really think it would be the best of ideas in sucha a large/wide spread community such as asexuals we really dont need something that would force us to break us up into smaller factions I think it would be better to stick with just the one but again i do like your thinking

I realize this, but I think that there is already a distinction.

It's just a superficial one anyways.

Which I why I kind of think that it should be both, BECAUSE we are toghether,

and the ace's represent these two distinct groups toghether...

If that made any sense at all...

I actually like the idea. It brings a sense of togetherness because we are all asexuals (ace), but we do have our distinctions (suits). Plus, hearts is my favourite suit ^.^

I actually like the idea. It brings a sense of togetherness because we are all asexuals (ace), but we do have our distinctions (suits). Plus, hearts is my favourite suit ^.^

I'm glad to know that other people like the idea too! :blush:

I think it's a cute idea.

But there is a little problem. A lot of people here feel that, for them, the aromantic/romantic distinction isn't a good one. They feel they are inbetween, or neither, or unsure. I think the spades/hearts dichotomy inadvertently excludes those people.

But there is a little problem. A lot of people here feel that, for them, the aromantic/romantic distinction isn't a good one. They feel they are inbetween, or neither, or unsure. I think the spades/hearts dichotomy inadvertently excludes those people.

True.

But they're still ACE!

I can see where you come from.

But I also think it's impossible to include EVERY distinction.

The Aces' are already symbols, and this thing that I came up with just

kinda puts more meaning to it.

That is a very legitimate concern.

However, I don't think those people would mind too much either.

Not a bad idea I guess, but I personally prefer the heart more. We're capable of love too.

XjanuaryXmoonX

dude, ive totally had the exact same idea for a while now. i carry an actual ace of hearts around with me everywhere i go, and i chose hearts becasue im a romantic asexual. awesomeface, im all for it ^-^

I think people should be allowed to choose whichever Ace they want, it's just that spade and hearts are the most common. Spade because it's the most common in general- generally it's the fanciest ace, too- hearts because of romantics.

I, personally, don't really like the idea of the upside down ace being it- but that's just because it bugs me that it's upside down.

Why do people feel the need to mark themselves anyway?

Well, the triangle (edit: when applied to lgbtq people) comes from the Nazis applying it to LGBTQ people, before they reclaimed it, so I don't know why asexuals would feel the need to have a triangle (I know what its supposed to mean).

It also looks like a vagina to me

:P) The black ring thing is a bit meaningless, lots of people wear black rings. The thing is, symbols that actually do what they're supposed to tend to develop organically.

An ace of spades with a heart on it? I like it better than anything else. Especially if Ace of Spaces (

or the Tokyo Yankees featuring X-Japan visual-kei version,
is our anthem :)

I know, there's a Chris Rea song called ace of hearts, but he's not nearly as cool!

Oh good, it's not just me!

I've always thought that about the triangle--maybe if the shading was in a different direction, it wouldn't remind me so much of not a vagina so much, but a frontal view of female genitalia without legs. I think the shading reminds me of pubic hair.

Personally, I can't be bothered with in-group symbols of asexuality IRL because I don't know anyone who would recognize them. *shrug* I think the black ring is enough, personally.

[quote name='typicalpower' date='Sep 14 2009, 12:09 PM' post='1369865'

I realize this, but I think that there is already a distinction.

It's just a superficial one anyways.

Which I why I kind of think that it should be both, BECAUSE we are toghether,

and the ace's represent these two distinct groups toghether...

If that made any sense at all...

touche

I've always thought that about the triangle--maybe if the shading was in a different direction, it wouldn't remind me so much of not a vagina so much, but a frontal view of female genitalia without legs. I think the shading reminds me of pubic hair.

Exactly, it's the shading!

Maybe it's because we're asexual?

It can't be just us, right?!

:lol:

• 5 months later...
Moondragon007

Maybe they can use diamonds or clubs?

I get the in-between part... I think.... but how can you be neither romantic nor aromantic? It's like saying a light switch is neither on nor off - and no cracks about Schrodinger's Cat!

I ID as demi-romantic. I like the ace of spades :) It was always my favourite card even before I found out about asexuality.

I just like the Ace of Spades because I like singing the Motorhead song after explaining my sexuality to people.

...I really like Motorhead.

Darn all of you. now I have to go figure out how to put an ace of spades in my signature.

I wasn't hear during the whole symbol of asexuality thing. Never even knew we had any. But I like the Ace of Spades. I am an aromatic asexual and i agree that doing a distinction like this might not be wise. but heck, if its not official, then I don't see the harm.

Moondragon007

Am I the only one that still thinks of the ace of spades as a symbol of death?

:blink:

Apparently you are.

Guest Pelagic

I get the in-between part... I think.... but how can you be neither romantic nor aromantic? It's like saying a light switch is neither on nor off - and no cracks about Schrodinger's Cat!

Well, I'm personally not too sure whether I'm aromantic or romantic. I think that, for some people, it's very fluid... Changing back and forth between the two, or being aromantic with a great deal of romantic traits, etc. I'm not too educated on the matter, but it's not really a light switch thing.

Am I the only one that still thinks of the ace of spades as a symbol of death?

No, I think that, too!

I personally like Ace of Hearts, but we could have it black instead of red. I think it would be distinct enough for people to take notice, and the ace of spades does remind me of death and stuff (also, a lot of people wear ace of spade stuffs). The heart also kind of means orientation, so it makes more sense.

AND DON'T FORGET THE JOKER!

I'm a Motorhead as well, but I am partial to my "Ace" avatar! I have that tshirt as well - one of my favorites!

ThePieMaker

I don't like the idea of creating separate symbols. Just because we're already a small enough group as it is, it's like really dividing us further. For once in the history of humanity can we look at what we all have in common instead of insisting we divide because of differences? It just annoys me. I know this point is probably more relevant in a more serious discussion, but it's just such a pet peeve of mine.

sitdownstandup

I think our symbol is ruined for me now. We need a new one.

I don't like the idea of creating separate symbols. Just because we're already a small enough group as it is, it's like really dividing us further. For once in the history of humanity can we look at what we all have in common instead of insisting we divide because of differences? It just annoys me. I know this point is probably more relevant in a more serious discussion, but it's just such a pet peeve of mine.

heh, point taken. the obsessive accountant in me likes to break things down as far as they can go and quantify them that way, but I see your point.

An ace in general works. Ace of Hearts is just best for an orientation. Course, I like the Ace of Spades (I don't get the death reference), so I'll probably stick with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived