Taken steps to remove fertility/gendered organs/hormones?

Has anyone here taken medical/surgical steps to remove their hormone-producing organs (testicles, ovaries), internal organs like the uterus, external genitals, or fertility (castration, medical/chemical castration, vasectomy, hysterectomy, tubal ligation, long-term IUD)?

I recently underwent an abdominal hysterectomy (removal of the uterus through an abdominal insision) for medical reasons related to fibroids. I was interested in removal of the ovaries, but because of my age, the docs would not do that. It was a 10 year long fight with the docs just to get the hysterectomy! I was put off continually by my (female!) doctor questioning my intent as to relationships and parenthood! She would not do my hyst. for 10 years because I wasn't married and hadn't yet popped out a sprog! I finally had to get angry and pushy with her to get me to refer me to the gyn. who had me scheduled for the surgery after one visit! My surgery took place two weeks after my visit to the gyn.

The reason for the surgery was primarily medical, but there was some psychological stuff in there as well. As a child, I was raped.. and last year I had to make a sexual harassment complaint against someone at work, so I have been feeling somewhat more vulnerable to being forced into a non-consentual sexual situation. I have known since I was a child myself that I did not ever want to be a parent, even (or more appropriately, especially) accidentally and unwillingly. I am glad I never again have to deal with a period, which I always found repulsive, and am glad that I have no risk of forced parenthood even though I am not and do not intend to be sexually active.

I was just wondering if anyone else had done anything about the gendered/sexual/hormonal state of their bodies.

Sara

Silly Green Monkey

At one time I was interested in removing the whole works, but then I learned more about the roles of hormones throughout the body. I think I would still be willing to remove the vagina and uterus, but I'd leave the ovaries alone. Osteoporosis isn't all that fun.

Kombucha2000
At one time I was interested in removing the whole works, but then I learned more about the roles of hormones throughout the body. I think I would still be willing to remove the vagina and uterus, but I'd leave the ovaries alone. Osteoporosis isn't all that fun.

I'm the same. I'd also want to keep the ovarian hormones for the secondary appearance.

I have often thought about having a vasectomy, and, occasionally, I still think about it. But I haven't yet done it. Mainly because the chances of my becomeing a father are non-existent as it is and there are better ways to spend my money. That, and I don't like check-ups, much less actual medical proceesures. . . .

I have often thought about having a vasectomy, and, occasionally, I still think about it. But I haven't yet done it.

If the chances of becoming a father are non-existen anyway, then you needn't bother with the vaesectomy because that's all it does. It doesn't compare in any way, shape or form to the alterations Sara is talking about. All that does is cut off the vas ducts so sperm can't get through, nuttin' to do with hormones, everything else functions normally and nothing is removed. Look at it like a traffic tunnel. The cars go through. You can build a wall, that'll keep the cars from coming out the other side - that compares to a vaesectomy. What Sara is talking bout is removing the tunnel and roads that feed to it all together and turn it into a shopping mall. Changes entire functions and is very very expensive and high maintenance.

Sara, your situation sounds just like mine but I had endometriosis. Same thing, female doctors kept telling me I was overreacting (I weighed 97lbs and couldn't walk upright, does that sound like an overreaction?). Doctor after doctor "reminded" me I didn't have kids yet as though it's my 'duty' to fart out a couple of kids before my time is done. Finally (18 years of arguing) I told them "you do it, or I'm going to go so crazy one day that I'll do it!") That was May and by the August I was coming out of the hosp. minus one uterous. The only thing that was different was that I was very adamant about keeping my ovaries. I guess one was covered in cysts and almost had to be removed anyway but they left them in.

I'm interested in having the whole works done as I hate periods, hate my breasts and never want to have kids. But even though I have felt this way my whole life there's no way my doc would agree to let me have that done despite the fact that my body makes me feel miserable. Surely it is my right to do as I please with my own body...? :x

I'm interested in having the whole works done as I hate periods, hate my breasts and never want to have kids. But even though I have felt this way my whole life there's no way my doc would agree to let me have that done despite the fact that my body makes me feel miserable. Surely it is my right to do as I please with my own body...? :x

if your doctor isn't doing what you want to do, find someone who will. You can even ask your current doctor if he/she knows someone who will preform such procedures.

have you heard of the term neutrios? In a nutshell they're people who want to become physically sexless. There are some neutrios yahoo groups, but they're not active, but this is a good site:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010726112745/...s.com/defin.htm

in the mean time, there are some things you can do about your periods and chest. The depo provera shot stops both ovulation and menstruation completely (all though I've heard that there is a lot of breakthrough bleeding in the first few months of taking it)

and you can bind your chest with wide ace bandages meant for the chest/shoulder region. My friend also sent me a link to simpler products that flatten the chest:

http://t-kingdom.com/

It was a 10 year long fight with the docs just to get the hysterectomy! I was put off continually by my (female!) doctor questioning my intent as to relationships and parenthood!

I had both my uterus and ovaries removed by a scalpel happy OB/GYN. I only saw him three times before the surgery as he was filling in for my regular physician. I had uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts (which he had convinced me were malignant) and he said a TAH/BSO was the only way to go. I was 21. Luckily I already had both of my children but the hormonal issues have been hell. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who did not absolutely HAVE to have it done.

I'm all for anyone getting any surgery they want but if it's not a physical reason then it should come out of the patient's own pocket.

ISTR reading something about this on a BBC news article a while back - I *think* the gist was that being sterilised (which can simply mean having the tubes tied) is something you can now demand as a human right in the EU, so if a doctor tries to give you the "you've not had kids yet" line, let them know they're in breach of the Human Rights Act and say, quietly but insistently, that if they persist you'll enlist a solicitor to sue their practice.

It's still liable to be quite a fight, but the law is now on your side and if necessary you can take them to court and force the issue. I think. IANAL though!

Or as another poster said, go private. Will cost a bit though.

on kids: i really would like a kid and think i'd enjoy being a parent, though the child certainly wouldn't be coming out of me. adoption sounds like a great idea, especially in indiana where the foster care system is often fatally dangerous for children.

a member of my family underwent removal of her ovaries due to cancer, and the less than supportive response from her female relatives was awful.... i remember listening to one woman asking her almost mocklingly if she felt "bad" about not being able to have any more kids. god!

I've been on Depo Provera for several years now- it is ostensibly a contraceptive but I use it to suppress my hormones-not that I'd mind an ovirectomy but it isn't practical.

On the up side I haven't had a period in almost seven years no paranoid delusions (not kidding), no pms, no cramps, no bloating, minimal mood swings (only toward the last couple of weeks befor my next shot) and I have lost any and all fear of needles. I actually look forward to my shot every two months.

From what I've read about a third of women on depo stop menstruating entirely and if someone changes their mind on the kids issue (no way man!) it is reversable. Just stop taking it for a year. :roll:

Silly Green Monkey

I'm on depo too, they give me a shot every three months. I know now that the pain in injections depends entirely on the person holding the needle.

I never had mood swings before, but I'm glad to be rid of the messyness and cramps. It got so bad one time when I was first menstrating that I was awakened at three in the morning and couldn't stop moving. Moving eased the pain slightly.

Bestatued Head
a member of my family underwent removal of her ovaries due to cancer, and the less than supportive response from her female relatives was awful.... i remember listening to one woman asking her almost mocklingly if she felt "bad" about not being able to have any more kids. god!

I have an unmeasurable amount of disgust for women who hold that opinion on other women. Can't they understand that it's better to cure yourself of a terminal disease than to die; either way the woman won't be having children. :evil:

I have an unmeasurable amount of disgust for women who hold that opinion on other women. Can't they understand that it's better to cure yourself of a terminal disease than to die; either way the woman won't be having children. :evil:

you know, in many cases i think it's other women, not men, who pressure women to emotionally reduce themselves and their bodies to fertility machines. :x

since when is anyone less of a woman or a mother (or a person) if they're unable or unwilling to bear any more children? that attitude is alarmingly and oppressively archaic (not to mention cruel) and needs to be done away with. seriously.

SorryNotSorry

"For what it's worth Luxi, I'd suggest you go private: a lot of private doctors will do whatever elective surgery you want if you're willing to pay for it (and presumably get you to sign something saying you won't sue later)."

Sounds like a great system to me... too bad I can't access such doctors, without leaving the country for Tijuana, Mexico!

Personally, I wouldn't be the least bit perturbed by having a vasectomy ("they took away my manhood... blubber, blubber"), and since I'm an artist who works with cadmium red paints, they can take my prostate out too, and I'd never miss it turning malignant on me. Problem is, nothing short of a massive lobotomy can erase a human's need to feel loved, and I'm talking emotionally, not sexually.

BTW you ladies who seem to have no compunction against getting a hysterectomy... I'd probably be of the same mind if I were female. But do your damndest to keep them from removing your ovaries... lose those, and you'll end up looking like a wrinkled old witch in no time.

If your dr starts talking down to you, threaten to cut the damn thing out yourself with an X-Acto knife! THAT will force him into line.

SorryNotSorry

BTW To Daphne...

I can understand your resentment at other women, who think women should just be "baby-making machines". Unfortunately, one of my cousins has made herself the black sheep of the family for choosing to be childless, and not accepting this outdated POV.

From a male perspective, I likewise resented my own mother's pressure to "have some grandchildren for her". What am I, somebody's prize stallion??? If my dear old mother honestly wants to sit and watch me consummate my marriage, she better be ready to pay me a stud fee.

Bestatued Head
BTW To Daphne...

I can understand your resentment at other women, who think women should just be "baby-making machines". Unfortunately, one of my cousins has made herself the black sheep of the family for choosing to be childless, and not accepting this outdated POV.

From a male perspective, I likewise resented my own mother's pressure to "have some grandchildren for her". What am I, somebody's prize stallion??? If my dear old mother honestly wants to sit and watch me consummate my marriage, she better be ready to pay me a stud fee.

I believe their is something very wrong with the way these types of women percieve birth. It's one thing to encourage a woman who wants a child, but another when women encourage other women to have children without knowning their health status or personal opinion. I feel as if these female friends and mothers have no self-confidence and want to pressure them like their mothers and female friends had pressured them...it's a merciless cycle.

I believe the same is true for mothers to their sons-- It is terribly stressful to live up to your mothers demands to inpregnate, especially if you don't have children as a high priority on your list or for whatever other reason.

I considered a breast reduction after I had an accident and was laid up for a while - put on a lot of weight including going up to a D cup in bra size. Totally hideous. Sexual men continually staring at your chest. However I lost most of the weight and now the boobs are almost back to normal.

I would be very wary of surgery. These things are not reversible. Just cos you've got the bits doens't mean you have to use them. There are so many risks associated with surgery.

I've thought about having a vasectomy for years long before I really had any clue that I was asexual. But, I wouldn't get rid of everything else because I still enjoy being a male, I just don't want to anything with anyboy else with it.

yeah id love to get rid of those parts and get smaller breasts. i hate looking at myself naked because the nude adult body is just...ugh. sorry if that sounds extremely immature but all that hair and stuff. eww...also its be nice to get rid of aunt flo.. i dont intend to have kids why does my body insist on preparing for them? lol

I think that's a fantastic way of putting it :D