Return of the Hormones! (Eeeeeeeeeeeek!)

I was recently talking with my Mom (who in the course of three months pretty much found out I'm asexual =D) and she said something about a surge of sex hormones around age nineteen or twenty in humans. I'm like "...What?"

"Yeah." she said. "I wasn't really interested in sex at all when I was in high school,probably just because I was so shy,but then I turned nineteen and it all changed."(turning her into the biggest nymphomaniac the world has ever seen)

"But I'm almost seventeen! I thought I was done with puberty! O_O"

"Nope."

Now,I'm assuming this is true (This article supports it) and I have always heard that around twenty is when people reach their "Sexual peak". I already have a low level of those troublesome hormones that cause sexual desire,probably due to the fact that I took high amounts of prescribed prozac all throughout puberty. I'm off them now,though,because they were actually making me MORE depressed instead of curbing depression.

Um....the point is...those of you here over 20 or so: ....that "surge of hormones" my mom talked about isn't as horrible as it sounds to this asexual,is it?

I'm just a little worried,that's all. My rare occurrence of sexual dreams has increased since I went off medication,and that's starting to scare me. I certainly don't want it to bleed over into my awake life and turn an asexual into a self-forced celibate.

I COULD get antidepressants when I'm 19,but for what purpose? I'm not depressed like I was in gradeschool and junior high. The doctor would ask me the reason and I'd tell them and they'd be all like "WHAT THE HELL? NO! That's not healthy and normal! Go out and have sex,you stupid girl!"

BAH! I should just have a hysterectomy and ovariectomy and be done with it!

Live R Perfect

I don't recall having increased sexual desire at that age. If anything, the exact opposite was true! :)

Cate Perfect

A woman's sexual peak is in her early 30s. The sexual women I know all went through a particularly 'prolific' period during that time.

I was much more interested in relationships and wanting one when I was 17-20 but I still wasn't interested in sex. *shrug* You can't know how/if the hormones will affect you. Also, even if it's a surge in hormones for a while it will probably return to your baseline libido after that. Sexuality and sex drive is fluid at any rate so you should just go with the flow. Trying to fight nature is a bad idea. It won't work and it'll only serve to make you miserable.

Cate

Silly Green Monkey

I'm just past that age, and whether or not I had a 'hormone rush' (which I don't think causes sexuality or sexual desire), I wasn't more interested in relationships. That was the time my husband was carefully courting me though, being friends first then trying to make the friends permanent. That's all I think marriage is anyway, promising to be friends forever. A lot more likely than promising to be sexually attracted forever.

I also wanted to remove the reroductive tract, but I was thinking of leaving the ovaries. The hormones are very useful for keeping bones strong and skin flexible. I compromised by using depo to stop periods.

I'm 21 and I feel no desire to have sex whatsoever. I'll admit to a slight increase in interest in relationships over the past year or two, but those would be of the asexual variety, and it could very well be that over that time I discovered that such a thing was possible, not because of some hormonal surge.

The only difference I've observed over the last few years is that I feel a bit more mature, happy with myself, and generally self-aware than I was.

Silly Green Monkey

I doubt it was any biological cause for your mother to become nympho anyway. Nineteen sounds like the usual time when parental constraints come off, high school's over, and college begins. Suddenly there is time and opportunity for sex, and that's probably what she took advantage of.

*Thinks back*

I don't remember anything of the sort. But it WAS the time when I had just moved away from my parents and all other forms of supervision, just as SGM said. Therefore, I was pretty lonely and looking for relationships, but not sex.

I was forced to conclude that one without the other was impossible, though, so I eventually compromised - only to discover that it was a big waste of time. Teenaged guys (sexuals, that is) aren't going to settle down and stay in a long-term relationship for ANY reason.

They just aren't ready. It's not their fault.

-Greybird

Actually, that idea really only applies to guys. Guys are supposed to reach their sexual peak around nineteen or twenty; women, on the other hand, reach theirs in their thirties, as someone said earlier.

Anyway, my sex drive decreased with time and was non-existant by nineteen. Oh, the irony. :roll:

borrowedTime

I had less sexual desire at 19/20 than I have now, at 26...

Really, it sounds like one of these things that may well average out like that in the statistics, but varies so much with individual people that it ceases to mean much.

42 and still nuttin'. Hey, remember that articles once denied that cigarette smoking was bad for your health? Remember there were ones that praised thalidomide (for you yung 'uns it was a tranquiliser 'safe for pregnant women' that caused severed birth defects).

Silly Green Monkey

Thalidomide is safe for human consumption, at least one form of it was. The drugs that were made had both kinds (L and D), so the problems showed anyway. If there was a way to selectively form only the harmless isomer, thalidomide could be used again. Public opinion could easily crush it though, even if it was harmless.

I took high amounts of prescribed prozac all throughout puberty. I'm off them now,though,because they were actually making me MORE depressed instead of curbing depression.

Same here.........that shit is NASTY!

well im only in my early- middle twenties so i suppose im still reaching my "peak" if such a thing exsists.... i cant recall having learnt anything about hormonal changes between the end of puberty and the beginning of the menopause.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, if you get a surge you get a surge, you can deal with it if and when it happens. I wouldnt concern yourself too much about sexual dreams either, after all you can have dreams about all sorts of things, if you dream you steal something that doesnt mean your going to become a criminal, if you dream your having sex that doesnt mean your going to become a nympho....