Why is it called drag?

KayleeSaeihr

KayleeSaeihr

Why is cross-dressing called dressing in drag? What's dragging? I don't get it.

From wikipedia:

A folk etymology whose acronym basis reveals the late 20th-century bias, would make "drag" an abbreviation of "dressed as girl" in description of male transvestism. The other, "drab" for "dressed as boy," is unrecorded. Drag is practiced by people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.

But it also claims that drag is slang for any clothing.

KayleeSaeihr

Hmmm interesting.

Hmm, good question.

According to wikipedia, the term, "drag" apparently originally referred to any clothing one can wear, despite the fact it's usually used to refer to crossdressing. With that in mind, I suppose "drag" could give the impression of robes dragging across the floor or something.

This is merely speculation on my behalf though. *wants a better answer*

Drag_Racing_Car.jpg

Haha, sorry. I'm not adding anything constructive. I really don't know how dressing in drag and drag racing go together.

I've also heard it was short for Dressed As a Girl. Agan, on wikipedia. Yeah, they can't make up their mind.

I really don't know how dressing in drag and drag racing go together.

You get delightful puns of a bunch of men in heels hitching up their skirts and racing each other.

You get delightful puns of a bunch of men in heels hitching up their skirts and racing each other.

What an image! I also imagined a couple of tough bikers in evening gowns racing each other on their bikes.

ChildOfTheLight
I've also heard it was short for Dressed As a Girl. Agan, on wikipedia. Yeah, they can't make up their mind.

That's almost certainly a myth -- there aren't any words that are actually acronyms from before WWII or so.

That's almost certainly a myth -- there aren't any words that are actually acronyms from before WWII or so.

Yeah, that's just a silly "folk etymology". Doesn't even make a lot of sense when you think about it. It would mean most women dress in drag most of the time! :lol:

mad_scientist

Yeah, that's just a silly "folk etymology". Doesn't even make a lot of sense when you think about it. It would mean most women dress in drag most of the time! :lol:

I thought it was used for scripts and suchlike?

sakura_alice

What an image! I also imagined a couple of tough bikers in evening gowns racing each other on their bikes.

"drag race" commercial

omg, you guys have totally reminded me of this commercial!

Archived