Asexuality on Queerty

queerunity

Saw this asexual article on queerty referencing the article in Sfgate, it's great to see asexuality gaining so much attention among the LGBT press.

http://www.queerty.com/tell-queerty-do-ase...glbts-20090825/

2015 Edit - For future reference:

NONSEXUAL IDENTITY
TELL QUEERTY: Do Asexuals Have It Harder Than GLBTs?

asexual_tshirt1-387x300.jpg

Is it time to add the letter “A” to LGBTQ? Because a new sexual class keeping making its way out of the closet: the asexuals.

Men and women who simply have zero interest in sticking phallic objects into orifices are here, and they aren’t queer — well, not always, ’cause plenty of asexuals still have romantic relationships. Just no sex.

They’re not looking for “special rights,” just “respect in a sex-obsessed culture,” notes the SF Chronicle. They’re talking to you, Abercrombie & Fitch marketing department.

But men and women who have no sexual desire do have an umbrella organization, as all demographics do. It’s called the Asexual Visibility and Education Network, founded nine years ago by 27-year-old grad student David Jay, which as far as we can tell is not a dating service. (Speaking of: Anyone know a decent asexual hook-up dating site?) You might know Jay from when Tucker Carlson made fun of him on MSNBC, or when the New York Times covered this trend four years ago.

With the mainstreaming of a whole new sexual identity — namely, a group of people who, you could argue, have none — it’s time to play the “Who has it the hardest in life?” game.

When it comes to LGBTs, we’d argue gays and lesbians get off the easiest (“mainstream” society is starting to accept them!), followed by bisexuals (some still consider them a joke!) and then transgender folks (when you’re most often referred to as a “shemale,” you can imagine the stigmatization).

Where would you put the “As”? Especially when you’ve got folks like Johns Hopkins University’s director of the Center for Sexual Health and Medicine, Dr. Leonard R. Derogatis, saying things like: “Sex is a natural drive, as natural as the drive for sustenance and water to survive. It’s a little difficult to judge these folks as normal.”

Which group is most discriminated against?
Gay men 11%
Lesbian women 1%
Bisexuals 2%
Transgender folks 79%
Asexuals 3%

Closed
Total Votes: 673

The replies? How about the article itself?

With the mainstreaming of a whole new sexual identity — namely, a group of people who, you could argue, have none — it's time to play the "Who has it the hardest in life?" game.

:huh: I know it's all supposed to be in good fun, but that's just kinda stupid and, in fact, not a whole lot of fun.

ETA: But I'm still happy that the article appeared at all.

Conor Wilson
The replies? How about the article itself?
With the mainstreaming of a whole new sexual identity — namely, a group of people who, you could argue, have none — it's time to play the "Who has it the hardest in life?" game.

:huh: I know it's all supposed to be in good fun, but that's just kinda stupid and, in fact, not a whole lot of fun.

ETA: But I'm still happy that the article appeared at all.

Me: Siggy, I'm with you.

Conor

KingOfCookies

I like how this website posted an article about us, and implied that we think we have it worse than others. They just made us look like sh**.

We should get David Jay to send them some sort of official message saying they misrepresented us. Judging by the comments on the article, this turned a lot of people against us.

Your reply was great :D

I tried to write a reply (reply? it was an essay!) but my internet and that site obviously don't like each other. I pressed Send and the screen went blank and wouldn't load, so I don't know if it posted it or not.

Well queerty isn't a mainstream gay online newspaper, it's more satire and sexual in nature but I have seen it covered positively in other gay areas such as the advocate and blade.

Archived