Am I agender or neutrois?

Oka-sama

I thought I was agender, until I saw the definition of 'neutrois' in the 'definitions' thread. I guess it's like this...

I have a female body, and I guess I'm okay with that body. I can live with it. But if I could have anything I wanted, I would probably get rid of my fairly large chest. It's so annoying sometimes; but although I'd like no breasts, I don't want a...um...you know. Boy...thingamajig. :redface:

I have androgynous tendencies, but I'm predominately in the middle or kind of male-ish sections of the gender section. On the rare occasion I do act feminine, I blame it on my parents for trying to force me to be more feminine as a kid, and as they are now. (They forced me to wear dresses when I was a kid, even though I was making my <_< face.)

I'm confused...I'd just like to settle the whole 'gender' thing soon...

Mr. Ten Below

From my understanding, agender is about internal identity (I am agender and I'm not a man or a woman or anything in between) and neutrois is about presentation (wanting to appear genderless, i.e. get rid of any masculine or feminine characteristics).

Guest member25959

I think I may be Androgynous Neutrois aswell, and by the sounds of things you may be aswell?

Agender (also referred to as "gender-neutral") is a term used to describe persons with neither a female or male gender. This person can be any physical sex, but their body does not necessarily correspond with their lack of gender identity. Often, these people are not concerned with their physical sex, but some may seek to look androgynous. Sometimes, an agendered person is also neutrois.
Neutrois is a term used to describe persons who are agendered and also seek to be without the physical characteristics of their sex e.g. genitalia, breasts, body and facial hair.

I'm pretty sure that they are very close to the same thing, and wouldn't worry too much if neutrois sounds good since agender does, if anything it should more solidify that agender is right. :)

The difference I've heard is that neutrois wish to transition and change their sex, while agender might want to change their appearance without going to any medical length, sort of the "if there were a magic wand that could give me the perfect body, I might go for it- but as it is I'm okay" thing, while neutrois are more "I don't care what it takes or costs, I'm getting as close to the right body as I can, I cannot survive like this". So, the real way to tell if you're neutrois vs agender is this:

Are you content enough with your body, even if you do want to dress as neutral, that transitioning isn't a requirement/goal? If you don't need to transition unless, say, a fairy godmother popped up or you won the lottery or whatever- you're probably more agender. If, like me, transitioning is necessary for you to have any quality of life, I'd say neutrois.

But, ultimately, labeling is up to you- so if you like neutrois better, go for it.

mad_scientist

I was under the impression that agender was "no gender identity" and neutrois was "an identity of 'no gender'"?

I was under the impression that agender was "no gender identity" and neutrois was "an identity of 'no gender'"?

Genderless is no gender identity. Agender is kind of a blurry, it could be seen as either, but in terms of agender as a gender identity- it's similar to neutrois.

Archived