Sheldon Cooper and the Big Bang Theory wiki

mad_scientist

I don't think Sheldon is supposed to be asexual, but I've seen this hypothesis pretty popular lately.

5075celebrity-pictures-big-bang-theory-boobs-vista.jpg

KayleeSaeihr

Vista FTW! :P

I believe this was from the most recent episode- "Interesting. It would seem sex modifies behavior faster than chocolate. I wonder if anyone else has stumbled on this." (not exact quote)

• 3 weeks later...
mad_scientist

Kill the blasphemer!!

I know nothing about computers, but I want to shoot people for Vista. This hunk-of-junk resource hog that came preinstalled on both my computers (no point in even asking otherwise, the salespeople have less clue than me about this stuff and won't listen to a girl, even a paying one) slows all programs down to a crawl and is clunky and unmanageable. And for some reason you need to be connected to the internet to play the preinstalled games (if I want games on the internet, I will find them on the internet...). I wish I had a copy of '98, although it wouldn't run anything nowadays. I liked '98.

Oh, and you know what's even worse than Vista? Vista on a Mac. Why did they even make that?!

Kill the blasphemer!!

I know nothing about computers, but I want to shoot people for Vista. This hunk-of-junk resource hog that came preinstalled on both my computers (no point in even asking otherwise, the salespeople have less clue than me about this stuff and won't listen to a girl, even a paying one) slows all programs down to a crawl and is clunky and unmanageable. And for some reason you need to be connected to the internet to play the preinstalled games (if I want games on the internet, I will find them on the internet...). I wish I had a copy of '98, although it wouldn't run anything nowadays. I liked '98.

Oh, and you know what's even worse than Vista? Vista on a Mac. Why did they even make that?!

I was fine with what you're saying...At least until you said 98 was good... It most certainly was not.

mad_scientist

Kill the blasphemer!!

I was fine with what you're saying...At least until you said 98 was good... It most certainly was not.

Well perhaps my memories are skewed, I was a child at the time. '98 was the first OS we had after we finally replaced the Commodore 64, so, y'know, comparison problems.

Kill the blasphemer!!

Well perhaps my memories are skewed, I was a child at the time. '98 was the first OS we had after we finally replaced the Commodore 64, so, y'know, comparison problems.

If you want a good OS, then there's Windows 2000...Now that was a windows OS that new what it was doing!

Also you're problems with Vista might stem from a lack of RAM. Alot of places that sell pre-built PCs will put Vista on machines with only 1gb of RAM, which is insufficient for Vista to run properly. You need at all 2gb.

mad_scientist

Kill the blasphemer!!

If you want a good OS, then there's Windows 2000...Now that was a windows OS that new what it was doing!

Also you're problems with Vista might stem from a lack of RAM. Alot of places that sell pre-built PCs will put Vista on machines with only 1gb of RAM, which is insufficient for Vista to run properly. You need at all 2gb.

I consider the fact it needs more that 1G of RAM just to run properly to be one of its major flaws. It's just an operating system! Its job is to help run other programs! That's it! Why does it need more resources than practically everything else?! What's it doing with it all?!

Kill the blasphemer!!

I consider the fact it needs more that 1G of RAM just to run properly to be one of its major flaws. It's just an operating system! Its job is to help run other programs! That's it! Why does it need more resources than practically everything else?! What's it doing with it all?!

Yes it is a serious drawback of Vista. My partner's machine only has 1gb though...And it runs Vista fine. Obviously not as fast as mine which has 3.5gb

It uses the RAM for alot of background services, some of which are completely superfluous and I disable.

Many of my old peripherals are not supported on Vista, even though they work perfectly fine otherwise. That's one of my big beefs about it. Things like a flat bed scanner and a digital camera. Sure, they're old (in technology terms), but they work fine. But then the manufacturers don't update the drivers for Vista, so it's technically not MS's fault (except they're the ones who made Vista).

I guess it's almost time for a new camera, but now I'm waiting until I can upgrade to the next big Windows OS.

Back to the op - looks like Sheldon Cooper isn't the only possible asexual on BBT... (I was just watching season 2 on dvd)

• 2 weeks later...
mad_scientist
Many of my old peripherals are not supported on Vista, even though they work perfectly fine otherwise. That's one of my big beefs about it. Things like a flat bed scanner and a digital camera. Sure, they're old (in technology terms), but they work fine. But then the manufacturers don't update the drivers for Vista, so it's technically not MS's fault (except they're the ones who made Vista).

I guess it's almost time for a new camera, but now I'm waiting until I can upgrade to the next big Windows OS.

Back to the op - looks like Sheldon Cooper isn't the only possible asexual on BBT... (I was just watching season 2 on dvd)

If you're talking about Leslie, I think she's just really practical.

Nope, not Leslie. Not one of the regulars, a relative of one of the guys.

Nope, not Leslie. Not one of the regulars, a relative of one of the guys.

Lennard's mother :)

Leonard's mother :)

Right. (I tried to put it in a spoiler in case people wanted to be surprised, but for some reason I couldn't get the spoiler to work and didn't know the tags to type it in). Thanks! :)

mad_scientist

Leonard's mother :)

Right. (I tried to put it in a spoiler in case people wanted to be surprised, but for some reason I couldn't get the spoiler to work and didn't know the tags to type it in). Thanks! :)

Oh, I forgot about that one. That was a good episode.

• 11 months later...

On a related note..

The comments there are better than I expected too.

Seriously, I read the link and totally despaired... they cannot sexualize Sheldon Cooper ><

Quoted from a comment on the link: "There are already three other horny dorks on that show; leave Dr. Cooper out of it."

This sums it up for me :D

mad_scientist

A field test with my friends shows a generally negative reaction to sexualising Sheldon, even from those whom I don't think know anything about asexuality.

On a related note..

The comments there are better than I expected too.

Seriously, I read the link and totally despaired... they cannot sexualize Sheldon Cooper ><

Quoted from a comment on the link: "There are already three other horny dorks on that show; leave Dr. Cooper out of it."

This sums it up for me :D

it's just one person's opinion in that link

The Sheldon Cooper character is definitely ace, and "double a" seems likely. I was kind of worried early on that they were going to ruin it by having him "find the right person" or whatever, but at this point I'm no longer concerned.

There was an episode where his friends thought it would be funny to put his information in to a dating website and see if it found a match for him. It did, and Lenard told him he had hidden a dirty sock somewhere in the apartment, and wouldn't say where it was unless he went out with the girl. So he does, and she says she is only there because she has an agreement with her mother to go on a date once a year in exchange for her silence on the matter. He explains that he is there because he is being blackmailed with a dirty sock. She then informs him that "all forms of physical contact up to and including coitus are off the table" and he responds with "Can I buy you a drink?" Then they became friends and started discussing the possibility of having a child together, but not by the usual method. I think if they were going to make his character sexual or even romantic they would have done it then, with the whole "dating website says it found his perfect mate" thing, but instead they had her be asexual too.

And as far as the stereotype issue goes, it doesn't bother me at all. First of all I loved the character even before I realized he was ace. Second, overplaying things is, well, kind of the point of entertainment. It would be boring to have an asexual character who acted totally normal and fit in with the rest of society, and the only way we knew they were is because they said so once or something. That's what real life is for. Let entertainment be entertaining.

There's no mention of asexual on the wiki now which is... a bit odd.

And yeah, the writers could have made Sheldon sexual already if they'd wanted. Doesn't mean they can't change their minds for whatever reason though - I hope they don't.

• 2 weeks later...

This is so awesome! I never even considered sheldon to be ace, or a double-a as someome said! Who would have ever thought that I would have something in common with him :lol:

And wiki has mentioned asexuality about Sheldon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper

According to several reviewers, Sheldon appears to be asexual. Noel Murray of The A.V. Club stated that "giving Sheldon a girlfriend, boyfriend or even a "friend with benefits" would be [...] far outside the scope of the character".[51] Kona Gallagher of TV Squad wrote that "the idea of Sheldon with a lady is a jarring one".[52] Series co-creator Chuck Lorre said: "Part of what’s wonderful and unique about [sheldon] is he has chosen not to play in the relationship game either way — heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, any sexuality".[53]

Penny once asked what is Sheldon's "deal", meaning his sexual orientation. Leonard responded that "we've been operating under the assumption that he has no deal", with Howard suggesting his theory being that Sheldon reproduces by mitosis, and will one day eat an enormous amount of Thai food and split into two Sheldons. Leonard later had a nightmare of this exact scenario occurring.[54]

Others, however, are opposed to this interpretation. Jon Weisman of the Los Angeles Times wrote that "the right woman could draw [sheldon] out of his shell".[55] In an interview, Parsons said that he thinks that his character eventually will have a romantic relationship.[56]

Despite Sheldon's lack of romantic or sexual leanings, Sheldon has somehow managed to attract at least three women and one man with little effort. He has, however, on each occasion completely misunderstood the situation.

Edited by GirlDreamer

While I do think that Sheldon is probably asexual, I wonder if that is a good thing.

Sheldon is a presumptuous, socially awkward, know-it-all. (Yes it is funny on the show) but I wouldn't want people associating me with him.

I would not want to explain to someone "I'm asexual, like Sheldon Cooper from BBT" becasue I feel that it also perpetuates stereotypes associated with not being sexual.

I love this show, and I do love Sheldon; he delivers so many lines which, to me, are just hilarious from an asexual perspective. One I saw recently which I loved was:

Leonard: You do realise we're asking Howard to choose between sex and Halo?

Sheldon: No, we're asking him to choose between sex and Halo THREE. As far as I'm aware, sex has not been updated to include high def graphics and enhanced weapons systems.

But yeah I could see the concern about him being an icon, though I don't think the point of him is 'asexuality makes you an antisocial weirdo', I think the writers just aimed to make a character as disconnected from, and uninterested in, the world around him as possible, and asexuality is just one characteristic that can fit into that nicely. But of course, some people could easily misinterpret that, as has been shown here...

I don't think they'll ever call him asexual either- labelling Sheldon would make him less elusive and therefore less funny. Certainly why they've refused to say whether he has Aspergers or not.

I think that the producers/writers of the show actually has denied that Sheldon is asexual... I still see him as an asexual character though...

Today, (the new series starts tonight in the UK), my friend said that Sheldon was a bit like me! In the, 'nudge-wink-like-me' sense, as in she agreed he was ace-like.

I'd just expressed my D: face because apparently in this series he goes on a date.

D:

I actually think the character of Amy has been dealt with really well. I'm not surprised they've decided to try to give Sheldon a girlfriend, but I would be surprised if he had a sexual relationship- until maybe 4 or 5 years down the line when the show goes stale and they've got nothing else to do with the characters...

we have some professional scientists in this very forum and you can see elements of sheldon within thier arguments

in that it has to be facts facts facts and more facts to prove-dissprove an opinion otherwise it's not valid

I see sheldons love life like that..it's an emotion as such it's not logic so he has little or no time for it

I certianly do not think he is asexual

• 4 weeks later...
Nico-Nico Friendo

I am a bit baffled by some of your concerns about Sheldon becoming an asexual icon. Some of you seem to think he is a "negative image" for asexuals, but in my opinion, he's cooler than the other guys on the show.

Yes, he can be a narcissistic ass, but I think that has more to do with his huge freakin' IQ than his asexuality. And about these comments to the effect that he makes asexuals out to be socially inept weirdos . . . Um, what about the other nerds in the show?!?! What about Howard? He's creepy as hell. They are ALL socially inept weirdos, not just Sheldon. So I don't see what the big deal is.

I think Sheldon is asexual, and I will stick to that hypothesis until otherwise proven wrong. Really, I can't imagine him being in a sexual relationship. The thought of it is just too ridiculous. Can you imagine it without having to seriously tweak his personality? (Because personally, I can't.)

Nico-Nico Friendo

Oh yes, and another thing . . . to the person who said Sheldon is "definitely not" asexual, I would have to seriously disagree. For one thing, Sheldon has certainly expressed his disinterest in sex on multiple occasions. For instance, when his new "girlfriend" (from the Internet dating site) said coitus (sex) was "off limits" Sheldon offered to buy her coffee as if he highly approved of this rule. He has also made plans to reproduce via petri dish in a surrogate womb because he views sex as a messy and unpleasant biological process. So, this is how he plans to "procreate" with his Internet girlfriend -- without sex. So as far as how all the clues are pointing, they say "asexual." In order to change this, the writers would have to alter patterns of thoughts and behaviors that already seem quite established in his character.

Some quotes that are clues which point in the asexual direction for Sheldon:

Penny: I know this is none of my business, but I just... I have to ask — what's Sheldon's deal?

Leonard: What do you mean, "deal"?

Penny: You know, like, what's his deal? Is it girls...? Guys...? Sock puppets...?

Leonard: Honestly, we've been operating under the assumption that he has no deal.

Penny: Come on, everybody has a deal.

Howard: Not Sheldon. Over the years we've formulated a number of theories about how he might reproduce. I'm an advocate of mitosis.

Penny: I'm sorry?

Howard: I believe one day Sheldon will eat an enormous amount of Thai food and split into two Sheldons.

Leonard: On the other hand, I think Sheldon might be the larval form of his species and someday he'll spin a cocoon and emerge two months later with moth wings and an exoskeleton.

Penny: Okay, well, thanks for the nightmares.

Leonard: Sheldon, think this through. You're going to ask Howard to choose between sex and Halo.

Sheldon: No, I'm going to ask him to choose between sex and HALO 3. As far as I know sex has not been upgraded to include high-def graphics and enhanced weapons systems.

Leonard: [sarcastically] You're right, all sex has is nudity, orgasms and human contact.

Sheldon: My point.

Raj Koothrappali: Sheldon, I have hidden the dirty sock from the roof somewhere in this appartment. Unless you agree to go with us and meet this girl, that sock will remain hidden, forever.

Sheldon Cooper: You're bluffing.

Raj Koothrappali: Are you willing to take that risk?

Sheldon Cooper: Curse you.

Sheldon Cooper: After your little experiment fails, what reaction shall you prefer? An "I told you so" with the classic neener-neener, or my usual look of haughty derision?

Raj Koothrappali: You haven't even met her.

Sheldon Cooper: Haughty derision it is.

Amy Farrah Fowler: Pardon me. I am Amy Farrah Fowler, you are Sheldon Cooper.

Sheldon Cooper: I'm afraid you are here under false pretenses. You were fooled by faulty algorithms designed to prey on the lonely. I am here because my friend has hidden a dirty sock.

Amy Farrah Fowler: If that is slang, I have not heard it. If you are being literal, I share your aversion to soiled hosiery. I am here because my mother and I agreed that I should date at least once a year.

Sheldon Cooper: My mother and I have the same agreement about church.

Amy Farrah Fowler: While I am not adverse to the concept of a deity, I am confounded by the concept of one that demands attendance. Before we proceed, I must warn you that all physical contact, up to, and including coitus, is off the table.

Sheldon Cooper: Can I buy you a beverage?

Amy Farrah Fowler: Tepid water, please.

Howard Wolowitz: Good Lord, what have we done?

Amy: I find the notion of romantic love to be an unnecessary cultural construct that has no has no value to human relationships.

Sheldon: Amy Farrah Fowler, that's the most pragmatic thing anyone has ever said to me.

Amy: I trust this clarification allows us to return to boyfriend/girlfriend status?

Sheldon: Of course. Would you like to join me for Chinese food?

Amy: Sheldon, please, you're suffocating me.