Sheldon Cooper and the Big Bang Theory wiki

mad_scientist

mad_scientist

A quote from the Big Bang Theory wiki article on Sheldon Cooper:

Sheldon is not asexual, having interest in sexual activity, but resilient and confused by such activity. The pilot shows clearly he is aware of his sexual organ.

Personally, I think that there is practically no way that Sheldon isn't asexual at this point. He might almost get away with just being an extreme misanthrope, but it's pretty damn unlikely -- they had that one episode in which Sheldon's friends explained that "Sheldon has no 'deal'" and proposed theories on his asexual reproductive methods, and he makes his asexuality pretty damn clear sometimes, such as talking about satisfying sexual desires -- "assuming that one is afflicted with such".

What this comment does show is somebody blatantly misunderstanding asexuality. Apparently academic interest in the social aspects of sex and the ability to masturbate make one sexual.

Just thought I'd throw this out there and see what people thought. Source is here:

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper

KayleeSaeihr
The pilot shows clearly he is aware of his sexual organ.

What? :huh:

mad_scientist

In the pilot they go to donate sperm to a high IQ sperm bank, or as Sheldon puts it, "Today we tried masturbating for money".

The original contained implications that Sheldon masturbates regularly, but the revised script for the aired episode didn't contain these. Unless I've mixed the two up again.

KayleeSaeihr

Yes, but what does having awareness for one's sexual organs have to do with asexuality?

In the pilot they go to donate sperm to a high IQ sperm bank, or as Sheldon puts it, "Today we tried masturbating for money".

The original contained implications that Sheldon masturbates regularly, but the revised script for the aired episode didn't contain these. Unless I've mixed the two up again.

also in the pilot, there was one insinuation by leonard that sheldon was well accustomed to doing that

to take the pilot episode as implicit proof is to show that the person has no awareness of television programs. the pilot is a testing episode and things are changed from

Hallucigenia

Also, even if he masturbates regularly, that has absolutely nothing to do with whether he's asexual or not.

KayleeSaeihr
Yes, but what does having awareness for one's sexual organs have to do with asexuality?
Mr. Ten Below

Nothing at all. That's what mad_scientist is getting at, I think.

Something is wrong on the internet...

What is this "sexual organ" of which you speak?

gif21.gif

gif21.gif

oic

mad_scientist

Nothing at all. That's what mad_scientist is getting at, I think.

Something is wrong on the internet...

Yeah, that was my point. I think somebody's using a different definition of "asexual".

• 4 weeks later...
carried in bags

the pilot is forgivable. sheldon is asexual, as is leonards mum! when people say they like TBBT i want to tell them this!

• Like 1

For those who haven't visited the wiki, it was edited on August 19th. It no longer says anything about Sheldon's sexuality or lack thereof.

Love the show, and I think it's great that they have an asexual character, even if the writers and CBS won't admit it explicitly. What astonishes me is the viewing public's refusal to believe that Sheldon is asexual. They accept all of his other personality traits and life history, even weird and unbelievable bits (like that he got a hold of some yellow cake uranium when he was like, 12 and had it taken away by the government). But they can't step outside their own experience enough to accept that someone might not be interested in sex. There's a whole topic on the show's forum all about whether or not Sheldon and Penny should get together, and someone mentioned his asexuality and it was immediately shot down by everyone else because of the pilot and that "semi-pro" at masturbating comment--the validity of which we've already argued here. My point, though, is that I sincerely hope the writers are dedicated to Sheldon's asexuality (and it seems they are), and don't write anything that will damage that. Because even though he's often the butt of jokes and full of flaws that might give the wrong impression of asexuals to an uninformed audience, he's still the first step in the mainstream acknowledgement and acceptance of asexuality.

Btw, somewhat tangentially, there's a strong rumour that Sheldon's character is based on ex-Harvard physicist Lubos Motl, whose well-known blog http://motls.blogspot.com I've been reading for many years. He's well known for attacking loop quantum gravity (and every rival model of quantum gravitation to string theory), environmentalism, feminism and generally anyone who disagrees with him.

Someone collected some of his most priceless insults at http://prime-spot.de/Bored/bolubos_short.doc - some of them are as hilarious as they are inappropriate!

He eventually alienated virtually all of his colleagues as a result of his online behaviour and left academia completely a couple of years ago. As far as I can tell, though, Lubos is not asexual. (That's probably a good thing - I find it annoying enough that Sheldon apparently is.)

"Ladies and gentlemen - though, by virtue of his youth and naivete, Dr. Kim has fallen prey to the inexplicable need for human contact, let me assure you that my research will go on uninterrupted, and that social relationships will continue to baffle and repulse me. Thank you."

<3

"Ladies and gentlemen - though, by virtue of his youth and naivete, Dr. Kim has fallen prey to the inexplicable need for human contact, let me assure you that my research will go on uninterrupted, and that social relationships will continue to baffle and repulse me. Thank you."

<3

It's amusing but I think it just underlines how much we can do without Sheldon becoming an asexual icon. Especially as we still comparatively little visibility, and so any high profile asexual figure is likely to have a large impact.

I hadn't really thought about it that way before, but I guess you're right. I was too busy fangirling over Sheldon to think about whether he was propagating a positive image of asexuals. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

A quote from the Big Bang Theory wiki article on Sheldon Cooper:
Sheldon is not asexual, having interest in sexual activity, but resilient and confused by such activity. The pilot shows clearly he is aware of his sexual organ.

Personally, I think that there is practically no way that Sheldon isn't asexual at this point. He might almost get away with just being an extreme misanthrope, but it's pretty damn unlikely -- they had that one episode in which Sheldon's friends explained that "Sheldon has no 'deal'" and proposed theories on his asexual reproductive methods, and he makes his asexuality pretty damn clear sometimes, such as talking about satisfying sexual desires -- "assuming that one is afflicted with such".

What this comment does show is somebody blatantly misunderstanding asexuality. Apparently academic interest in the social aspects of sex and the ability to masturbate make one sexual.

Just thought I'd throw this out there and see what people thought. Source is here:

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper

i thought that the person in qeustion is the only person able to 100% define them selves as asexual never the less he is an asexual character so hes not capable of thinking... relatively speaking. Plus if he was asexual do you not think that they would have incorperated that into the script? it would certainly add a twist to the publics views of his personality but wheither or not it would boost the programes ratings directors and writers generaly have a vision for this sort of thing and going on the fact that Sheldon does not express him self as asexual id have to say hes asexual. persoanly i think sheldon has alot of issues but is not asexual he is just permantly at a loss with reality a fairly important part of any relationship so sex naturaly plays a relatively insiginificant role in his life. that dosent mean hes asexual i would go as far as saying that he is celibate but just because u dont have sex or express no immenent intrest in having sex does not mean you are asexual. He might have a very very low libido but from what i can pull from the show hes not asexual. Its not like he would hide the fact he is extremely open/transperant and brutaly honest if he was asexual i dont doubt that he would pull the fact out often and at regular intervals.

Btw, somewhat tangentially, there's a strong rumour that Sheldon's character is based on ex-Harvard physicist Lubos Motl, whose well-known blog http://motls.blogspot.com I've been reading for many years. He's well known for attacking loop quantum gravity (and every rival model of quantum gravitation to string theory), environmentalism, feminism and generally anyone who disagrees with him.

Someone collected some of his most priceless insults at http://prime-spot.de/Bored/bolubos_short.doc - some of them are as hilarious as they are inappropriate!

He eventually alienated virtually all of his colleagues as a result of his online behaviour and left academia completely a couple of years ago. As far as I can tell, though, Lubos is not asexual. (That's probably a good thing - I find it annoying enough that Sheldon apparently is.)

there is a physicist that is a consultant to the writers and producers on it.

i'm not sure of his name though

<3

It's amusing but I think it just underlines how much we can do without Sheldon becoming an asexual icon. Especially as we still comparatively little visibility, and so any high profile asexual figure is likely to have a large impact.

I think the answer to that is more asexual characters, not less Sheldon. But that might just be my inner Sheldon fangirl talking.

It won't be Lubos - the script would be much more fanatically pro-strings if he had any direct influence on it!

The A Life Team
I think the answer to that is more asexual characters, not less Sheldon.

I completely agree!

Hear, hear! ('nother sheldon fan.)

Um, this should totally have been from my personal account. I seem to have forgotten that I was logged in with the Podcast account. If a moderater could delete this, it would be awesome. Rebecca, who needs to turn on her brain for a while.

It won't be Lubos - the script would be much more fanatically pro-strings if he had any direct influence on it!

I hadn't seen the show before, so recently borrowed the first season dvds from a friend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The consultant is David Satlzberg, PhD :)

The consultant is David Satlzberg, PhD :)

cheers :)

a work colleague said he saw it last night and said he didn't like it. tut tut tut.