Brazil's about to know about us

julio

Hello everybody! This is my first post here. First of all I thank you people for all the material on the website. It was and is a great help to me and a lot of people.

Well ... I understand what I am (asexual) a few days. But, in fact, I'm asexual since I was a kid, I just didn't know that.

Few days ago I was searching on the Web a little on the subject and not found anything in my language (Portuguese). So I decided to create a blog to talk about it (asexual). :)

So far so good. The blog is growing in content and visitors. But yesterday I received an email from a Brazilian journalist from a major TV transmitter of the country.

They want to do an interview with me. :o

Speaking to a television network does not make me very nervous, but talking about asexual, yes. Asex I'm, but talk about the issue is very complicated, as you know. -_-

So... what tips can you give me? ^_^

p.s.: sorry for my horrible english. :redface:

Firstly: Welcome to AVEN! :cake:

I'm doing a radio interview myself in a few days... so I've been thinking about how to prepare as well.

I'd say to just work out how you're going to get some of your most important points clearly. For example: they will probably ask you to explain what asexuality is: so make sure you have an answer that is going to make sense to most people listening!

Another tip: Take your time. You don't have to speak a thousand words a minute.

And most importantly: breathe, and relax. It's an interview: not an interrogation!

You might be interested in PMing DJ... the person who created this site.

His username is avenguy, and actually I believe he is in or is about to be in Brazil right now.

Does anyone know "where in the world DJ is?" :P

Anyways, he has a media pamphlet about how to restate a question in your answer... that way if they do a sound bite of you, it isn't just out of context. And some other tips of how to shift questions into a more positive way when answering them. *hugs and good luck* :cake: :cake:

I know one of my biggest rubs is when people do interviews... and they let too much of their personal definition of what it means to be asexual be how they define asexuality to the world via their interview. However, not everyone on here finds things repulsive, or that you have to be a virgin until death to be asexual.

There is a girl called tourmaline20 on here and she is British. She was on British television recently and she is the type of person who would help you.

You might be interested in PMing DJ... the person who created this site.

His username is avenguy, and actually I believe he is in or is about to be in Brazil right now.

Does anyone know "where in the world DJ is?" :P

Anyways, he has a media pamphlet about how to restate a question in your answer... that way if they do a sound bite of you, it isn't just out of context. And some other tips of how to shift questions into a more positive way when answering them. *hugs and good luck* :cake: :cake:

I know one of my biggest rubs is when people do interviews... and they let too much of their personal definition of what it means to be asexual be how they define asexuality to the world via their interview. However, not everyone on here finds things repulsive, or that you have to be a virgin until death to be asexual.

Thanks EGD, I'll try to follow that up before my interview on Tuesday too- that restating the question thing never even occurred to me!

Tks for all advices, they will be very helpful.
The interview will probably be tomorrow at morning.

I'll post updates soon.

Oh I forgot... http://assexuados.wordpress.com/ « This is my blog. In portuguese, but you can use Google translation to translate it. happy.gif

2015 Edit: The above link doesn't work anymore, and alas, only the home page can be found by clicking here.

Archived