What's your problem?.

ChaliceFlame

ChaliceFlame

The other day we ran across an androgynous looking person. I thought she was a he too. Now the point of this is when my mom found out "he" was a she...She started to talk about her and offer theories about what her problem was.

She might be lesbian(the male counterpart kind), she might be transgendered, she might a transvestite, she might have other problems. She looks angry...Yeah, her eyes look sad.

I'm like MOM....people don't need to have a problem to like being androgynous, it's a lifestyle choice. *SIGHHH***.

There's really nothing more to it, though individuals may have issues for different reasons unrelated to their lifestyle choice.

Maybe she does have sad eyes and maybe there is something going on, but I doubt it has anything to do with androgyny.

I guess I shouldn't say to my parents that I find androgyny attractive, I just can't pull it off easily because I have a curvy body , too big boobies and I wear my hair long in a ponytail.

Not that men can't have long hair, but having short cropped hair does help portray androgyny I think.

It's sad that your mom thinks someone who is androgynous has to have something wrong with them. :C

I too, am attracted to the androgynous types. <3 I sometimes try and pull it off myself [mostly by wearing manly clothes] but I can't pull it off effectively. I really wish that I could. I would probably spend most of my life wearing suits. :I

Guest member25959

Androgyny isn't just a lifestyle choice, it can be one, but sometimes its just the way someone is. Like with me, i have a 'Curvy body' and and a very female/male face, but i don't really choose for it to be that way.

Some people do choose to be androgynous though, when it comes to clothes.

She might be lesbian(the male counterpart kind), she might be transgendered, she might a transvestite, she might have other problems.

I know this is an obvious thing to point out, and I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest otherwise: but none of these things you listed are problems.

I guess I shouldn't say to my parents that I find androgyny attractive, I just can't pull it off easily because I have a curvy body , too big boobies and I wear my hair long in a ponytail.

Not that men can't have long hair, but having short cropped hair does help portray androgyny I think.

Actually, I once saw someone who fit your description and assumed the person to be biologically male. I thought the breasts and curvy body just came from being fat (which he/she was), but closer inspection revealed otherwise. I don't know if the person was just a masculine lesbian (the partner was a woman, very feminine) or a man in a woman's body.

It's more about how you act than how you look.

She might be lesbian(the male counterpart kind), she might be transgendered, she might a transvestite, she might have other problems.

I know this is an obvious thing to point out, and I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest otherwise: but none of these things you listed are problems.

I'm hoping that's the point of her post. Her mom suggested all of these for "what is your (the girl's) problem?", when not only are these not problems- but it's not a problem if she's cisgendered and just likes that style. But it is kind of hard to tell if the mom was coming up with genuine reasons a person would look androgynous other than just "they're cis and enjoy androgyny" and the OP misread it as "ZOMG, cispeople can't be androgynous!" or if the mom intended these as problems to be remedied so she can look like a normal girl.

Both sides can assume that a straight cisgendered person can't be androgynous, though. I know GLBT people who get pissed when they say non-queer people dressing androgynously, as if they're stealing the style or making a mockery of being LGBT when it's entirely possible that the person just likes the style. And then straight cis people can go "well, only those queers would dress like that- so you can't be cisgendered/straight if you're dressing like that". Which both makes androgyny something that labels someone a freak and something that straight cispeople aren't allowed to do, which hardly seems like a good system because there are straight cispeople who enjoy androgyny, and enjoying androgyny shouldn't be something that's shunned.

Even in this thread- some people have assumed that because a person was androgynous or appeared to be the opposite sex on first glance, they must be gay or trans.

Archived