"he looka like a man!"

OwlCat

Hey everyone. I'm a complete dunce when it comes to fashion (and it doesn't help that the only place around here I have to get ideas is WalMart), so I'm asking for some advice. I'm genderqueer (physically female), so I'm not going for the whole male makeover. Instead, I just need some help identifying pieces of outfits that look good and are comfortable. I usually wear black t-shirts and flare jeans, but I'm getting tired of such a casual appearance. I mix and match men's and women's clothes as best I can, but like I said, fashion is not my forte. I've looked around online, but all I've been able to find is kind of the "high society trust-fund-baby" look. Also, I should say that I'm so not skinny, so there's no way I can pull off tight fitted clothing.

So I'm basically looking for comfortable mixed men's and women's pieces, but not a completely male or completely female look. I'm very open to all suggestions.

Any takers? Thanks in advance!

(P.S. I wasn't sure if this was a good place to post this topic...if it could go better elsewhere, feel free to move it! :) )

Why don't you just walk through a mall/Walmart/wherever - whatever gendered sections you'd prefer - and finding pieces that you like? Instead of a bunch of anonymous internet strangers? :cake:

Nico-Nico Friendo

Look around the store and find what you like. Put them together in a way that pleases you. Be creative.

The reason I don't do as you've suggested is because the people around here wear spandex, wife beaters, holey flannel shirts, and tube tops (not necessarily in that order, lol). I know I'm generalizing a bit here, but it's rare to see someone dressed well. Our work clothes consist of steel toed boots, a pair of jeans, and a shirt that you don't mind getting dirty (mostly because the washer couldn't get all the dirt out from when you last wore it). A nice outfit for a woman shows tons of cleavage and leg. A nice outfit for a man is that one shirt you set aside for special occasions (like weddings, funerals, dates, etc.) and your best pair of dark jeans (the light ones show too many stains). The main reason I want the opinions of anonymous internet strangers is because there are a wide variety of people on here with different ideas. You all have been exposed to cultures that I haven't. A different person's perspective is a welcome change, even if that person is a stranger to me. I see things differently than you, and you see things differently than me. I would like to know what you see, so that maybe I can see what I never noticed before.

I don't have an eye for clothing, but I want to look nice. I don't have much to go on around here.

That's a good reason. And it's awesome that you want to gain other perspectives. :)

I'm not one for fashion at all. Maybe I'll see someone wearing a style I like and I'll try to emulate that. But yeah, a lot of my clothing choices are just made on what I like - what I think I'll feel comfortable in, both physically and mentally.

That sucks about the fashion in your town. My school's like that, I hate it...

Do you have a TV, or access to lots of different movies? Maybe watch things about different areas, with different kinds of fashions? Which, ok, not the best idea, considering that'd be media-saturated, so even more tube tops and crap like that...

I still think that the best fashion is formed from what you like, and not what others like. Maybe I'm just being cheesy, though. :cake:

I wear WalMart and Target clothing and I get tons of compliments on my "style," so, um, I guess I'm okay with mass-marketed fashion? I agree with the others, just wear whatever you want.

I dress comfortably, but I don't know if it'd be comfortable for you. I tend to go for some sort of plaid button-up shirt with a pair of slightly baggy skinny jeans. Through Polyvore, you can find out how different people mix and match different pieces of clothing. It's pretty neat. LookBook is where rich anorectics are invited to show off their style. It's more "hipster" oriented, both sites, LookBook more than Polyvore, so I have no idea if you'd like them. I enjoy the fashion magazine Nylon, which is filled with pretentious hipsters who pay $45 for a $5 shirt. :lol:

Do like hats? Belts? Ties? Scarves?

Because these are the easiest and fastest way to put a masculine or feminine touch, in my opinion. For example lets say you have a feminine hat and then you have a masculine shirt and tie, with a belt that is neither one nor the other, it tends to make the outfit look put together than just feminine jeans and masculine T-shirt.

Hope that helps.

Maybe look for some men's fashion magazines for inspiration? (there might be some good stuff on the net, I don't know.)

Some of them have pretty nice androgynous styles. Good luck!

Archived