Six Feet Under

Violet_Loves_Iliona

Violet_Loves_Iliona

Hi to everyone :)

I haven't seen mention of it so far, but was anyone here a fan of Six Feet Under?

One of the characters in it, Arthur, certainly appeared to be Ace, and was even referred to as being asexual.

David, the main gay character at first thought he might be gay and said so to his boyfriend, who replied by saying "no, I don't thing he's Gay, so much as A".

He also had a romantic relationship with David's mother, Ruth, despite their age differences, which ended many episodes later when Ruth became sexually frustrated. She still looked back fondly on their relationship at the end of the series, describing to her then-partner how she and Arthur "had our own language" and used to express their affection physically by standing facing each other and "nuzzling" like horses.

I didn't much care for the DVD commentary referring to Arthur as "immature", but I'll excuse it since it was so wonderful to see another asexual portrayed respectfully and intelligently on the screen.

Has anyone else seen this wonderful series (which would have been wonderful even if it hadn't had Arthur in it)?

If you have, what did you think of it?

Violet

Yup, it's come up quite a few times on here. If I'm not mistaken, Arthur is the only character on a mainstream drama that has been explicitly referred to as asexual.

I haven't listened to the commentary, but I can go along with the "immature" comment too. I wouldn't take that as a reference to his asexuality so much that he did appear to be emotionally stunted to some degree. It's not really a criticism as I really like the character, but I wouldn't take that as a swipe against asexuality.

Outside of Arthur, I've maintained for a while now that Six Feet Under is essentially the pinnacle of modern drama. It's going to be a hell of a long time before something comes close to topping it.

Yup, it's come up quite a few times on here. If I'm not mistaken, Arthur is the only character on a mainstream drama that has been explicitly referred to as asexual.

There's also Gerald from the NZ series Shortland Street :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been renting Six Feet Under from Netflix and love it. It's one of my favorite shows.

I saw the Arthur scene a few months ago, and actually thought about posting about it in here... but then I didn't. Glad someone else got to it, though!

I got so excited about that part--the fact that on a show I love, and a show people actually watch, there was some ace visibility. I even told my mom about it and said, "Another reason to love this show!"

But one thing... I thought it was Keith who mentioned to David that he thought Arthur was gay, not the other way around. And then David suggested Arthur was A, and Keith said something about how he believed asexuals were just gay and in denial. I could be wrong, though. Either way, visibility, woo!!

I loved Six Feet Under and I was really pleasantly surprised when Keith mentionned to David that Arthur was probably asexual and not gay :)

Although, we'll never know for sure what the writer had in mind with him, but that was a great character !

Violet_Loves_Iliona
I've been renting Six Feet Under from Netflix and love it. It's one of my favorite shows.

I saw the Arthur scene a few months ago, and actually thought about posting about it in here... but then I didn't. Glad someone else got to it, though!

I got so excited about that part--the fact that on a show I love, and a show people actually watch, there was some ace visibility. I even told my mom about it and said, "Another reason to love this show!"

But one thing... I thought it was Keith who mentioned to David that he thought Arthur was gay, not the other way around. And then David suggested Arthur was A, and Keith said something about how he believed asexuals were just gay and in denial. I could be wrong, though. Either way, visibility, woo!!

No, you've got it the wrong way around there. Kikyou... David was buying Arthur a suit and taking him under his wing because he thought Arthur was gay, and Keith, being the great guy that he was, gently opened David's worldview a little.

Great show and great storyline - I only watched one episode and stopped watching it, then came back to it just recently and watched every single episode, from series 1 episode 1, to the very final episode of series 5 (which was one of, if not THE, best final episode of any any show, of all time!) :)

No, you've got it the wrong way around there. Kikyou... David was buying Arthur a suit and taking him under his wing because he thought Arthur was gay, and Keith, being the great guy that he was, gently opened David's worldview a little.

Nope, you've got it round the wrong way:

Keith [About Arthur]: Maybe we should buy him a whole new wardrobe. Do they ever do that? Queer eye for the gay guy.

David: I don't think Arthur's gay, I think he's A.

Keith: I don't know, I think asexual people are asexual because they don't wanna come out of the closet.

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome show. It's definitely the most intelligent TV show I've seen, by a mile. HBO productions are the only ones worth watching. The relatively new show Mad Men isn't bad either..

^I agree with the first part. Alan Ball probably wrote the best episodes in the series, I wonder if his new one True Blood is comparable.

Archived