When people say your name sucks

Shinnok

Yeah another random topic post. Just something that came across my mind

I change my first name a lot..and I mean a lot. More than my username (if that's even believable lol). I go through names like every week. I have yet to find one that really fits me. With the way it's going I probably never will. But I still go through them just maybe in the off-chance I might find the name for me. Sometimes when I pick names though I'll ask someone "What do you think of the name *insert random name here*?" and I'll be pretty keen on the name but sometimes people's responses are "Bad choice", "Lame name", ect. Once they say that I look at the name and think "Is it really that bad? Maybe I should switch..." and I usually do switch. The more bad things I hear about a name the more I'll switch to a different one. I've picked a name yesterday that I'm thinking of trying for as long as I can til I decide to switch but everyone who has commented on it said some kind of negative thing about it. I'm trying to stick with names longer than before but when I hear negative feedback on the name I feel like switching. I dunno. Even though it's just their opinion it seems to be everyone's opinion. I still dunno

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Why not just adapt your birth name to a name that suits your gender and stick with that?

My name is very androgynous so I never thought of changing it, but if I were to change it, I'd stick as close to my birthname as possible. It's what I've spend my life with and it's the name my parents gave me and I'll cherish that.

Names aren't usually perfect. Most people never choose their own name.

My mom said if I was born a biological male she would've named me "Andrew". That name is like a male version of my birth name but I'm not really keen on it. I dunno..

My mom said if I was born a biological male she would've named me "Andrew". That name is like a male version of my birth name but I'm not really keen on it. I dunno..

Andrew sounds cool.

Anyway, more people have names that were given to them by their parents aty birth and they have to deal with it from then on. No pondering or daily name changing. That's it.

So, (since I am probably older than you mom) I dub thee Barnabas.

No changing. That's it from now on. Barnabas, as in Barnabas Collins.

No, seriously, your name is Vincent and that's that.

*bows* x3

martianJusticiar

I guess it's not the exactly the same thing, but some people, including my best friend, are VERY weirded out by the fact that I have a masculine name (albeit with a different spelling - Shain rather than Shane), and some even have asked me why I haven't changed it. O_o It's weird how worked up people get about that.

*bows* x3

Not bad. I'd name him Gareth though.

I rather like the name Andrew as well. I'd be tempted to name a girl that because I love genderconfusing names. Like guys named Jane or girls named Simon. Awesome.

Andrew? Then I'm guessing your name is Andrea? Perfect time for me to post one of my favorite performance poems:

Andrea Gisbon - Andrew

Hello Shinn :)

Shakespeare once wrote in 'Romeo and Juliet': "What's in a name? That which we call a rose; By any other name would smell as sweet."

Whatever name you choose, you still will be the same person, it's important who you are, not what your name is. It's just a name, a word, that people use to communicate and that allows them to recognize whom they are talking to, or whom they are talking about more easily.

Of course I understand for some people their name is an important thing, so...

Your name is yours only, it's no one else's business, pick the name you like and just don't ask what people thing about it. It's your decision. If you want the name that everyone likes, you won't get one, because there'll always be someone who doesn't like it. Listen to your heart and follow what it says.

In some European contries it's become very popular to make names that never existed before. Maybe you should do it that way.

All what I said it's not only about your real name, but also about your username.

Cheers :)

well, I think everyone probably gives you negative responses and don't censor themselves because you go through name changes so frequently they probably think that names mean nothing to you. If you picked a name you really liked and said you were going to stick with it then people would respect your name and not tell you they thought it sucked. But in the meantime, I would say don't ask for people's opinions and if they give them, just ignore them. Most people dislike certain names for really arbitrary reasons and if you, their friend, took a name they didn't like, they would get used to it and like the name because they like you.

well, I think everyone probably gives you negative responses and don't censor themselves because you go through name changes so frequently they probably think that names mean nothing to you. If you picked on name you really liked and said you were going to stick with it then peopel would respect your name and not tell you they thought it sucked. But in themeantime, I would say don't ask for people's opinions and if they give them, just ignore them. Most pople dislike certain names for really arbitrary reasons and if you, their friend, took a name they didn't like, they would get used to it and like the name because they like you.

I was going to say something very similar. I think the reason you find people scrutinising your name might stem from the many changes. If I were to change something once and then stick to it, my friends and family would eventually adapt to it. Once something is changed over and over, people feel the need to be more overly critical. Whether they want to help you find the perfect name or whether they're frustrated that they started connecting a name to you and now it's something else, it's still your choice.

I also agree that people just dislike names for arbitrary reasons (Maybe they knew someone that they disliked with that name, maybe it was the name of a historical figure that they hated because they didn't want to learn about history in school or something...etc. etc. etc.) I like the idea of a name no one else has. Let the name become associated with you rather than act as a mask just to identify you. Don't let people's reactions to your name bother you too much.

My two cents.

I've also gone through the long and difficult process of choosing a name for myself.

Personally, I think that when you find a name that really means something to you; you'll know it: and no matter what other people tell you, you'll have this feeling that the name you chose really does belong to you.

Guest member25959

Yes, i just recently decided to change my first name. Mainly because my original name was a Dog's name, so i decided to go with 'Felix' instead :D , I like that name.

No one has yet said that its a stupid name, atleast not in my face. Though my Mom says she won't call me Felix.

Elliott Ford
I've also gone through the long and difficult process of choosing a name for myself.

Personally, I think that when you find a name that really means something to you; you'll know it: and no matter what other people tell you, you'll have this feeling that the name you chose really does belong to you.

This happened to me - eventually. And lots of people i respect really don't like my name, tell me to change it again, don't believe me that i've really chosen for good this time (in the last year i've been known publicly by four names, known privately by more). But I made my descision and i'm sticking with it. My Mum wasn't sure about my new name, my aunt went hysterical, my best friend demanded that i chose something that wasn't the name of her ex - and i kept it.

My name? William, Liam for short. And it's taken 6 months of fuss to get here.

SorryNotSorry

Some people (especially mothers) are fetishistic about names, and they say all sorts of supernatural calamities will result from us changing them. Personally, I'd run right out and get my own suckety-wuck name legally changed---and believe it or not, there are websites where I can download the State of CA forms, then just fill them out, get them notarized, and file them at the county courthouse like I did with my homestead declaration---but unfortunately I have a homeowner issue which may take another year and a half to wait out, or else it will look like I'm trying to duck out on a debt (which really isn't mine to begin with, but thanks to our wonderful former president Bush...)

Also, I haven't decided on a new last name yet... I may reach further back into the family tree to find one that's tough to mangle.

Some people (especially mothers) are fetishistic about names, and they say all sorts of supernatural calamities will result from us changing them.

Taiwanese actually change their complete name (first and last) when they wish to get rid of serious bad fortune. It's quite common for a Taiwanese to change his name once or twice in their lifetime. The law only allows three changes though, to avoid people changing yearly.

Enjoy that bit of entirely useless information.

Thanks for the posts ^___^

I've kinda wondered if people who I've asked about the name changing thought I took it lightly. One of my friends said she liked one of my past names (which was Kristoph) but after a while it got old. She got disgusted that I changed it. Now all she tells me is "Stop picking names from video game characters" and I'm like "....ok?" And I'll admit that some of the names I've picked did come from a game character. But not all of them. I picked the name "Edgar" once and that didn't come from any character I knew of. That's the name my brother knows me by...lol..(he doesn't call me it or anything, he's just seen me use it before)

I'm rambling :mellow: The only name I ever felt comfortable using was Luis

I'm curious. Care to give us a list of some of the names? if it's not to personal a question..

*conjours up brain power* Ok I'll put down the ones I can think of right now. I've been through so many that I probably forgot some O____O. Ok here goes...

Eddie

Daryan

Kristoph

David (for like a day)

Vega

Diego

Antonio

Luis

Edgar

Zach

Vincent

Even

And that's all I can remember right now x__x

Edit: Remembered one. "Juan"

Many of them are, from my experience, not very common names. That's just fine, but you should know that if you choose an uncommon name there will always be some people who don't like it. (With common names it's the same, though somewhat less). The more remarkable the name you choose, the more you'll have to withstand critisism.

Which doesn't mean: if you're going to choose your name, don't choose an uncommon name.

I mean: choose a name you'll love no matter how many people would critisize it.

Easier said then done of course.

In some European contries it's become very popular to make names that never existed before. Maybe you should do it that way.

Then you incur the wrath of the 'that's not a name!!!' brigade... <_<

...Yeah, I've been on the receiving end of that online (and that's one of the reasons I'm not called Lekzýs offline, much as I think of it as my name), and my name is actually based on a real name, albeit loosely.

But, you know, people speak a lot of nonsense sometimes, and often do have personal reasons for disliking a name. That doesn't make a name bad, and, although it's very difficult, sometimes you just have to do what you want to do. Hmm...maybe you should try changing it less frequently, though - what people have said about others taking it lightly may be right ...

On a vaguely-related note, I hate the insistence that people should have a surname...but that's probably just because I don't want to have one. :rolleyes:

Then you incur the wrath of the 'that's not a name!!!' brigade... <_<

I hate that....it's never happened to me but I've heard weird responses to the name "Vega" like this

Random person is shitty chat room: It sounds like a prostitutes name

Me:...srsly..wtf did you get that from?

And I didn't even ask for their opinion on the name. They just asked what my name was >___<

Andrew sounds cool.

Anyway, more people have names that were given to them by their parents aty birth and they have to deal with it from then on. No pondering or daily name changing. That's it.

So, (since I am probably older than you mom) I dub thee Barnabas.

No changing. That's it from now on. Barnabas, as in Barnabas Collins.

I would of named him Caden or Cade, just because I randomly name things that.

I hate that....it's never happened to me but I've heard weird responses to the name "Vega" like this

And I didn't even ask for their opinion on the name. They just asked what my name was >___<

Vega's a star -- a really important one. It's a great name.

"Vega (α Lyr / α Lyrae / Alpha Lyrae) is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra, the fifth brightest star in the night sky and the second brightest star in the northern celestial hemisphere, after Arcturus. It is a relatively nearby star at only 25 light-years from Earth, and, together with Arcturus and Sirius, one of the most luminous stars in the Sun's neighborhood." (Wikipedia)

Ouch! No, I have never changed my name, but seriously, being told your name sucks? Ouch!

For the record, I'm team Vincent (not that what I like really matters), I've always thought that name rocks ;)

When people say your name sucks....

Tell them their face sucks.

Problem solved.

:cake:

Vega's a star -- a really important one. It's a great name.

"Vega (α Lyr / α Lyrae / Alpha Lyrae) is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra, the fifth brightest star in the night sky and the second brightest star in the northern celestial hemisphere, after Arcturus. It is a relatively nearby star at only 25 light-years from Earth, and, together with Arcturus and Sirius, one of the most luminous stars in the Sun's neighborhood." (Wikipedia)

Mmm..I've gave this name some serious thought and am still considering it. Everyone calls me it so I'm used to being told "Hey Vega" and so on

ProdeFemme: Yeah it sucks <__<

Charlieee: I had that plan in mind already XD

Oh wow, that sounds like it'd be an awesome name, then, with a meaning like that! :cake:

But when most people hear the name "Vega" they think of this

(I'm sure I've posted this link on other topics before. I think...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vega_(Street_Fighter)

If I decide to choose this name or use it for a while...hopefully if someone says "OMG u copying characters naems u suck" I'll have the nerve to tell them their face sucks

Archived