Advice for androgyny

chillbox

I like androgyny very much, but I always have a hard time with it. Looking the part anyway. As a girl, those stupid natural urves and everything get in the way. I was wondering if there are any people with the same problems concerning androgyny?

I kind of have an androgynous mind, but I like the way I look. By androgynous mind, I mean, I care about other people & like pretty things, but I can also think logically... why not just accept your natural curves and find the perfect pair of blue jeans to minimize their look. For instance, if you have wide hips, try jeans with wide legs, it reduces the appearance of the hips, sort of. A sports bra may reduce the appearance of the curves up top, too. Hope that helps.

Yup, sounds like me. I've found that trying to disguise my body or wear clothes that don't fit me generally doesn't work. For everyday purposes (i.e., not special drag nights), I prefer selecting clothes for style rather than cut, and finding an androgynous haircut that suits you. Accessories can help you a lot here: nothing like a nice fedora or a pair of men's shoes in your size to accentuate an outfit.

As for binding: I've heard people say good things about the frog bra, but haven't tried it. I generally stick to ace bandages, which I know is inadvisable, but I like the fine control it gives me.

There are plenty of other people here in the same boat who could give you pointers. Basically, though, it's a good idea to accept what you've got and work it.

Yes. Boobies and hips are a pain. :( I tend to just wear unisex tee shirts and sweatshirts that are loose don't show off my chest too much and don't emphasize my hips.

KayleeSaeihr

Facial Hair kind of destroys any androgyny I might've had. Same with voice.

If you're looking to physically appear more androgynous, maybe check out passing tips? Depending on what sex you were assigned at birth, there are lists of ways for ftms and mtfs to pass better, which include things like how to dress and how to manipulate your voice... Obviously these are gendered tips, not androgynous tips, but perhaps they could help you out? Especially in terms of things like hiding curves, etc. Good luck. :cake:

I resort to tight sports bras and large mens shirts and jackets and things, but I'm just too big upstairs to hide it. :(

An androgynous haircut goes a long way.

I have the problem with curves too. No wide jeans or baggy shirts seem to cover them up enough. And I hate baggy shirts.

Currently my strategy is to throw complete androgyny out the window and just go for gender confusion instead.

People think my brown handbag is feminine? Well, it matches the exact colour of my very masculine boots.

People tell me to wear skirts? My favorite current piece of clothing is a kilt. Actually, I've had more people ask me what my gender was when I was wearing that kilt, then I ever had when I was in jeans!

Of course... that's only cute when you're twenty. I'll have to figure out a more effective way to look androgynious some day.

One quick thing from me on this, there is a site called T-Kingdom that sells high quality chest binder shirts that work very very well.

Here is the link: http://www.t-kingdom.com/

Just a suggestion, I hope it helps!

T-Kingdom is really awesome, and I've heard great things, but they're really expensive.

I'm a huge fan of Underworks, which is about half the price of T-Kingdom. Their tri-top did wonders for me.

Good luck!

that_american_kid
Is it strange for me to want to pass even though I'm not trans?

I think I want an answer to this, too. I'm not trans, but I find that some days i feel feminine and some days I feel masculine. I'd love, under the right circumstances, to have a shot at being taken as a guy for an afternoon. I'd also love someplace where I could go by a masculine name- even just online- where I could refer only to my masculine half, who has a name and everything. I realize that makes me sound like I have multiple personalities but I just mean that I have a name I use to think of myself when I feel more boyish and I use my given name when I feel more girlish.

I would be interested to hear what you mean by "pass" if you're not trans.

If you mean you want to appear as a gender other than what you are, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact I would encourage it. Everyone could use a little gender bending now and then :D :cake:

mad_scientist

If you mean you want to appear as a gender other than what you are, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact I would encourage it. Everyone could use a little gender bending now and then :D :cake:

I was going to try the same thing, as a learning opportunity more than anything. But there's no way I could force my figure to look masculine; I'm too curvy. (I could pad out and look like a really fat man, I guess, but looking obese would affect my results.)

I was going to try the same thing, as a learning opportunity more than anything. But there's no way I could force my figure to look masculine; I'm too curvy. (I could pad out and look like a really fat man, I guess, but looking obese would affect my results.)

There are ways to do it. Binding, clothes that draw attention away from hips.... it's all very possible. :) And I don't think that should stop you from dressing masculinely (or however you want to that isn't limited to extremely feminine....)

I'm androgynous in a way that I'm very mixed mentally as both. I have a lot of masculine tendencies. Although in sixth grade I could pass for a boy even with semi-long hair, now it's...hm. I want to get my hair cut shorter for school, though, and I've always worn men's clothes. I think that's because I hated girly stuff growing up, and now it's just because I like the style and it hides my weight.

I'm not trans, but I've found that the idea of passing as a boy is incredibly appealing.

mad_scientist

There are ways to do it. Binding, clothes that draw attention away from hips.... it's all very possible. :) And I don't think that should stop you from dressing masculinely (or however you want to that isn't limited to extremely feminine....)

I already dress masculine, unless I'm wearing a ladies' shirt (I like them). Women can get away with wearing men's clothing without comment in Australia.

There's only so far that you can bind DD cups without pain.

I already dress masculine, unless I'm wearing a ladies' shirt (I like them). Women can get away with wearing men's clothing without comment in Australia.

There's only so far that you can bind DD cups without pain.

Ah, cool. :) Yeah, they're pretty. And that double standard (which exists in most parts of the US as well) always confused me.... not that it's a bad thing, but men should be able to wear women's clothing without comment too, y'know?

No, it's definitely doable. I bound for two years with G cups... It just takes a little bit getting used to and figuring out what technique/etc is best for you. :)

mad_scientist
No, it's definitely doable. I bound for two years with G cups... It just takes a little bit getting used to and figuring out what technique/etc is best for you. :) [/color]

I'll look into it then. Thanks.

mort paradis
One quick thing from me on this, there is a site called T-Kingdom that sells high quality chest binder shirts that work very very well.

From personal experience... the T-Kingdom binders only work well for small chested people.

I also recommend underworks, I use the double front compression.

A couple of examples:

m_b10694ffb0ce452c7178fe9aa7490bc0.jpgm_90eeb9039820c1175b2ab50ffb6df83d.jpg

(for reference...DD >_< using the double front)

Those button up shirts do a pretty decent job of hiding that waist curve. Loose pants (men's) tend to be decent at hiding the hips, but try different styles on to see what works best. Layers are your friend! Except in the summer when you really start wishing that you didn't bind <_<

yeah I mean just appearing male, i get mistaken often enough for a boy anyway cus i have short hair, a pretty flat chest and wear baggy boy clothes. i probably won't get away with looking any older that 15 though.

mad_scientist

From personal experience... the T-Kingdom binders only work well for small chested people.

I also recommend underworks, I use the double front compression.

A couple of examples:

m_b10694ffb0ce452c7178fe9aa7490bc0.jpgm_90eeb9039820c1175b2ab50ffb6df83d.jpg

Those button up shirts do a pretty decent job of hiding that waist curve. Loose pants (men's) tend to be decent at hiding the hips, but try different styles on to see what works best. Layers are your friend! Except in the summer when you really start wishing that you didn't bind <_<

No way are you DD! That's amazing!

Everyone could use a little gender bending now and then :D :cake:

:)

*awards :cake: to Charlieee for awesome comment*

m_90eeb9039820c1175b2ab50ffb6df83d.jpg

:o

That is amazing and so cool. 8)

*awards :cake: to Conri*

mort paradis
*awards :cake: to Conri*

*noms :cake:* :wub:

ty ^_^

gender bending is awesome, I'll be happy when once I can do that without looking like a girl. (in other words...when I'll actually look androgynous when I do it)

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here. My case I cannot hide my hips (I'm pear shaped unfortunately :angry:) Working out my help build up the upper half if necessary (your genetics & work out plan will determine how much it will help). Only advise I can give to people who want to flatten the chest (not my issue at all, just need the right baggy shirt :rolleyes: ) is a sport/minimizer bra & lots of duck tape &/or non-adhesive medical tape (the kind that doesn't stick to hair). I had a friend who had to try to find ways to minimize her chest to do acrobatic gymnastics (large curves get in the way there a lot with the throwing people & tumbling) & my mom was the coach (from whom I discovered the medical tape/not as good as duct tape for flattening affect though I think :unsure: ). Any ideas on how to shrink the other half (hips/butt) would be appreciated!

Now let's all eat some virtual & actual :cake:!

For shrinking the hips, I always use a long t-shirt. I'm pear-shaped but I'm naturally thin (and nearly boobless as well), so a long, baggyish t-shirt makes me look really long and curveless.

From a site for neutrois (people who seek to appear neither male or female, so androgyny via removing gender indicators rather than mixing). The full version is here: http://neutrois.0catch.com/clothes.htm

A shirt that fits should be loose, but not too baggy, and long enough to COVER YOUR BUTT. It's important to have your hips and rear hidden so that someone can't tell if they're curvy, or square.

Depending on how they're cut; pants can make or break you. Anything that fits too closely is a no-no. We suggest staying away from 'flares' as they're made to emphasize hip and buttock lines. Go for square. Cargo pants, or anything cut for a relaxed fit, with straight legs are great. Some people don't like all that material toward the bottoms of straight-cut pant legs. If you're hips are small, go for a slightly tapered pant-leg. Watch those lines and shapes, though. The minute your pants ride your shape, you're a great deal closer to being pegged.

When wearing pants, position them low on your hips. The pants will also hang a little straighter, instead of reflecting the curve they're making over the hips.

I also wear a binder from underworks, the double front compression vest. If you can get it to stay over your hips, it also helps lessen your curves a little. Don't go with bandages or wrapping stuff- that can be dangerous. Binding too tight is extremely dangerous, both in the short term and, if you over do it, in the long term. Buying a binder designed for it will probably lessen this- but make sure to read the sizing charts and instructions so that you don't get one that's too small.

Archived