Religious Histories

endplusone

Your Religious History  

1. 1. Pick what best describes you!

• I was raised into a religion, have since affiliated with other religion(s), and currently associate with a different religion than what I have affiliated with in my history
    • I was raised into a religion, and have since then affiliated with another religion and maintained that religious belief
    • I was raised into a religion, have since then affiliated with other religion(s), and currently am non-religious/atheist/agnostic
    • I was raised into a religion, became non-religious/atheist/agnostic, and have since then become religious/currently associate with a religion
    • I was raised into a religion, and have since then become non-religious/atheist/agnostic and still am non-religious/atheist/agnostic
    • I was raised into a religion and have maintained that religious belief
    • I was raised non-religious/atheist/agnostic, have since then become religious/affiliated with other religion(s), and currently associate with a different religion than what I have affiliated with in my history
    • I was raised non-religious/atheist/agnostic, have since then become religious and have maintained that religious belief
    • I was raised non-religious/atheist/agnostic, have since then affiliated with other religion(s), and now currently do not associate with a religion/am atheist/agnostic
    • I was raised non-religious/atheist/agnostic and still am non-religious/atheist/agnostic
    • I fluctuate between religions and non-religiosity so much it?s too difficult to answer/I have no clue what I believe!

This poll is closed to new votes

silentdreamer
I just call it "Whatever, man. I don't care. It's just a label-ism" :lol:

This may be the church for you, then:

http://www.uctaa.net/

:)

I love their motto: "We don't know and we don't care".. hilarious! Too organized for my tastes though. The only like kinds of people I prefer to gather with are aces.

• 1 month later...
gray_imagination

....none of the above? I was raised in a household who went from a vague sense of Christianity to eventually non-religious. It was neither really a religion nor non-religious, imho.

my Da was a Catholic (high school an all) and my Mum was a baptist and neither were strict into it...I was raised with a kind of vague sense of Christianity in my early years but both my parents sort of lapsed as we all got older and we never went to church or anything. I became an atheist in 8th grade but when I first actually SAID it out loud to my parents my Da dropped his fork and said "you're a WHAT?" but then like blinked and was ok with it, it was sort of a conditioned response, he was more of an agnostic for a long while but by the time he died he was an atheist. Mum's been an atheist for AGES. If she could muster any belief in the supernatural, she'd go pagan, but like me...she just can't be serious about any kind of faith anymore.

my sister and I are 5 years apart and there's a big difference in our exposure to religion. I'm familiar with bible stories and have a definite Catholic flavor to what I know. Its not MUCH mind you, but my sister was raised with NO influence from home. What she knows she got from high school friends, and its even less than me.

My sister identifies as apathetic--it is of no importance to her at all whether there's any kind of supernatural element to the world, its not that she doesn't know so much as she doesn't care.

TheMelbourneMethod

"I was raised into a religion and have maintained that religious belief." Yup, that's me, though I'm not very comfortable saying it since the specifics of my faith deviate severely from the ones I held when I was little.

I picked the boring one. I was raised Lutheran, am still Lutheran, will die Lutheran. I seriously saw no point in changing, so I decided to make it simple. I'm one of those who probably would've stuck with anything they were born into. I know that makes no sense to most around here, just like asexuality would make no sense to the vast majority of society. Yet people tend to equate it with closed-mindedness. If I'm at peace with my decision why should it matter anyway? I believe I am capable of seeing and understanding many point of views and can use reason. I see that faith and reason go hand-in-hand, and it works for me. Contradiction is good. It balances things out. I also see the entire Universe as one big contradition and yet it works! :blink: Yeah, I'm crazy like that. So sue me.

This also sounds a little bit like me. Several things about my religious belief blatantly contradict, but through lots of research and soul-searching, I'm slowly reaching an equilibrium. And right now, while they contradict, I really don't care. So I'm Lutheran! So what? I read the bible and I make of it what I will. The essence of Lutheranism, if you will. (Don't overanalyze that, though.)

Raised Catholic, became non-religious. I'm still non-religious. My family doesn't seem to mind too much.

Guest member25959

My Dads side of the family were quite religious, but I wouldn't say that religious they believed in God and all that, but I don't recall them ever attending church, they were Methodist (both of them). And my Aunt is the same. My other aunt and two Uncles however are all atheist

My Moms side of the family, well, my Grandma was very religious, I was baptised in order to satify her (and my Dads parents, but mostly my Mom's Mom) She was Methodist/Protestant aswell. My Grandad, however, was the least religious out of all of them, I would have said he was Atheist, despite the fact he was (Irish) Roman Catholic!. My uncle on this side of the family, is a Mormon, as for my other uncle and only aunt on this side, they are fully atheist.

Both my Parents are strongly Atheist, they don't believe in that God/Heaven/religion buisness at all, especially my Mom, which is pretty much the same as me and my two other sisters.

And, my Family histories are Irish, Welsh and German, family origins have big influences on their religion and beliefs

Cupcake_Master

I was raised Catholic, but I've never cared for religion, especially not Christianity. My family has never been very religious, though they mention "God" and Christian stuff casually.

I changed to Buddhism when I was twelve, and I'm an Atheist now so..

Yea.

I was raised into a religion, and have since then become non-religious/atheist/agnostic and still am non-religious/atheist/agnostic

Raised a christian. My mother became a mormon of all things :P My grandmother is a presbyterian, which I found equally distasteful. My sister's an AME, which I don't find as bad as the other two. However, on the whole I find christianity culturally unappealing.

I was raised nothing and joined Judaism when I was 18 on my own, 50 years ago. I've been quite satisfied with it since but I belong to the way-liberal end of the religion. We do not believe in a personal God who sits up there watching what we do.

*However, she says uneasily, I'm hoping to be inscribed in the book of life for another year...*

Raised Catholic, became non-religious. I'm still non-religious. My family doesn't seem to mind too much.

This is me as well. No one seems to care except for my grandmother, though. She's one of those people who watches EWTN (the Catholic channel on cable) and prays along with the nuns at least twice a day. She prays that I'll go back to church, but that's been an exercise in futility.

Even if I could believe the doctrine wholeheartedly, I can't take the scandals and the moneygrubbing. A complete turnoff for me!

I was effectively raised agnostic/atheist. My parents were nominally Christian, but all that meant was that I was baptized and exchanged Christmas presents. Around age 15 I decided that Judaism was the path for me, but my actual religious beliefs fluctuate between religious Reform and agnostic. It's sometimes hard for me to parse a God after not thinking about it for most of my life. I haven't legally converted yet, but I plan to.

Raised Roman Catholic, now a Zen Buddhist for over five years; my parents really don`t have an influence in my beliefs and I guess don`t care to interfere - which is nice. (forcing a belief is one of my biggest pet peeves)

Archived