What do you call someone that has no gender?

I had this idea, that will probably seem absolutely insane to the majority, but it's about having my genitals sexually removed. I told a good friend of mine that, and she laughed and said I was being stupid and I'll miss out on all the fun. I can't stand gender for some reason. If it's other people, it's ok, but if it's me I can't. I planned really suddenly, that I wanted a complete removal of everything that makes me female. That would mean a mastectomy, oophorectomy, hysterectomy, and vaginectomy. I'd want male hormones into me, even though it's gender, for the sake of balancing out. The only thing i wouldn't be able to control is my chromosomes. Sounds like a TON to endure just to satisfy myself, but I can't tolerate myself being the way I am. I've never crushed on anyone, I don't like romance that involves me. Sorry for talking so much about that. Anyway, what is someone who is "no gender" called? Not a hermaphrodite, not someone who has both reproductive organs. But someone who has neither. :cake:

Tralfamadore
I had this idea, that will probably seem absolutely insane to the majority, but it's about having my genitals sexually removed. I told a good friend of mine that, and she laughed and said I was being stupid and I'll miss out on all the fun. I can't stand gender for some reason. If it's other people, it's ok, but if it's me I can't. I planned really suddenly, that I wanted a complete removal of everything that makes me female. That would mean a mastectomy, oophorectomy, hysterectomy, and vaginectomy. I'd want male hormones into me, even though it's gender, for the sake of balancing out. The only thing i wouldn't be able to control is my chromosomes. Sounds like a TON to endure just to satisfy myself, but I can't tolerate myself being the way I am. I've never crushed on anyone, I don't like romance that involves me. Sorry for talking so much about that. Anyway, what is someone who is "no gender" called? Not a hermaphrodite, not someone who has both reproductive organs. But someone who has neither. :cake:

The process of voluntarily having body parts removed is called 'nullification' and there is actually a psychological term for it: apotemnophilia, which is the desire to be amputated.

Since medically there is no such instance I am aware of as a person being born without sexual reproductive organs, doing this could possibly make you an apotemnite....im just making that word up.

Nonsexual comes to mind too.

KayleeSaeihr

Agendered

I feel fairly similarly about wanting to get rid of certain things that make me physically female, but I avoid any and all medical procedures/surgeries/treatments/etc. like the plague (heck, I probably still would even if I actually had the plague...), so I'm not willing to go to the lengths of surgery, thus outweighing my desire to physically change myself.

"Agender" is the identity/feeling of lacking a gender. A similar label would be "neutrois," which from what I can gather from other AVEN posts (mostly within the "Gender discussion" subforum of "Off-A", which might be helpful for you to explore) is a kind of neutral third gender, possessing neither male nor female characteristics. "Neutrois" implies the desire to want to physically change your body to be more androgynous (e.g. through surgery), but it is considered a gender identity.

And I bet someone will post after me and correct my pieced-together definition of "neutrois," but I encourage them to do so, as I'm no expert and don't want to misinform, and I'm still a little fuzzy about the exact difference between "agender" and "neutrois," myself.

That what Bero said is what I've understood myself

An agendered person is someone who feels zhe has no gender.

A neutrois is someone who feels zhe has no gender (agendered) and this causes them enough distress to actually do something and change things on their body related to gender.

So, I guess you could identify as neutrois

This might be a little off-topic, but how would you call someone that feels his inner-gender matchs his biological gender but would still want to get rid of his genitalia ? Genderqueer ?

Guest Fosco

atheisit - A person who does not believe that deities exist.

asexual - A person who does not experience sexual attraction.

ahermaphrodite - A person who has no gender.

Usually the addition of an 'a' at the start of the word changes that word to the exact opposite.

Check out the term, "neutrois", particularly this site, http://neutrois.0catch.com/defin.htm . The site itself is old - it was originally on neutrois.org around a decade ago but it disappeared many many years ago, someone took the site from the Internet Archive and uploaded it onto a free webhost a few years ago so as to be more accessible, which is where this page comes from (and why it looks so outdated).

The term's a neologism, and nearly all places that use the term go back to that one site, which is where it was coined. Although the term itself may or may not be the ideal term to use, the concept it describes certainly exists, and describes the feelings of many people, (including myself).

Agendered is a similar term. The terms aren't necessarily used as synonyms though - agendered simply refers to the general feeling of nongenderedness while neutrois is usually used to specifically refer to those who also experience bodily dysphoria and would ideally have a sex-neutral body.

There's also quite a few discussions on this topic here on AVEN, if you search for it.

As I understand it, agender/genderless refers to somebody who identifies with neither gender. I fall into this category, as I feel like neither or boy nor a girl, but still have female parts (so to speak). Someone who physiologically has neither male nor female "parts" or wants to achieve this state is called neutrois.

I've been thinking about getting a hysterectomy (after all, if I'm not going to give birth, why bother with a period?), but I heard they're really expensive and frowned upon without a medical reason. (Would hormone therapy be able to counteract the estrogen enough by itself?)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I feel fairly similarly about wanting to get rid of certain things that make me physically female, but I avoid any and all medical procedures/surgeries/treatments/etc. like the plague (heck, I probably still would even if I actually had the plague...), so I'm not willing to go to the lengths of surgery, thus outweighing my desire to physically change myself.

A friend once asked me, "If you don't feel like a woman, then why don't you get a sex change?" My automatic response: "Because I don't like surgery." XD I guess I was supposed to come up with something more substantial.

Goodness, if I felt this way, I don't know if I could handle surgery. >< But that's me. Plus, my dad's sitting nearby talking on the phone about botched surgeries, and cutting things by accident and such. <_<