Difference between asexuality and low sex drive?

Devoted Gargoyle

Devoted Gargoyle

Can someone explain the difference to me?

I'm not sure which would describe me, I rarely have sexual feelings, but I do have them. And I seldom have them towards people, it's just my body's doing *shrugs*

I'm curious as to how some of the people here would describe me based on the above. I'm a teenager also, if that means anything.

I'm a newbie here.. Sorry haha ^_^

I think sex drive fluctuates over your lifetime, so if you can look back and think 'I was kinda sexual back then, what happened?' I think it could be sex drive related. (I'm sexual btw, and this was the case with me)

If you've always felt generally the same in that area, I think you're probably more likely to be asexual, because asexuality has to do with a lack of sexual attraction, not sex drive. But sometimes those two things are hard to distinguish.

I'm not completely certain about the sex drive not fluctuatng if you're asexual, however, so take my explanation with a pinch of salt.

silentdreamer

Having a sex drive is having the ability to get aroused. There are asexuals who have high sex drives and do engage in sexual activity, so it can get kind of confusing when defining orientation based solely on sex drive. This is why the definition for asexual is lack of sexual attraction, not lack of sex drive.

So, if you're trying to figure out if you're asexual, you need to figure out if you're sexually attracted to anyone. Did you used to be? Are you now?

It is kind of complex. Some people who are asexual have a high drive, it's just not, well, directed at anything. Others just don't have much of a sex drive at all. If you're not sexually any particular gender at all, that's an indication you're asexual - whether you have some 'drive' there or not.

It is kind of complex. Some people who are asexual have a high drive, it's just not, well, directed at anything. Others just don't have much of a sex drive at all. If you're not sexually any particular gender at all, that's an indication you're asexual - whether you have some 'drive' there or not.

No, it isn't. Asexuality has nothing to do with gender. See comment above -- asexuality is lack of attraction to other people.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

No, it isn't. Asexuality has nothing to do with gender. See comment above -- asexuality is lack of attraction to other people.

Yeah; sexual orientation isn't necessarily related to gender identity. Some asexuals are genderqueer, but it seems to me that most aren't. You don't have to be neutrois to be asexual. Also, some asexuals have high sex drives, but the drive isn't directed toward anyone. Some asexuals have low to nonexistent sex drives. The real defining factor of asexuality isn't lack of sex drive; it's lack of sexual attraction.