Guess who was on TV?

LonePiper

I did an interview about asexuality a couple of weeks back for a public broadcasting station here in Australia. Sure it's low budget, but it's a kinda cool show they've got going. It's called the Naughty Rude Show, but I felt they actually gave asexuality the fair hearing it deserved, rather than trying to poke holes in it.

It's supposed to be up on youtube soon, but until then you can check out the programme on the channel's website.

I can't work out a way to fast forward it, and unfortunately I'm in the very last segment. And additionally there's no way I can link directly, so you have to search for it.

http://www.c31.org.au/new/

Search for "the Naughty Rude Show" (Making sure you put "the" at the start) and look for the episode on the 13th of July.

If you don't want to wait for me to put up the Youtube link, you'll have to watch the whole thing. There are some funny bits in it though, and it's fairly interesting! Be warned, there are a few fairly graphical and sexual themes and images.

(By the way, I feel kind of embarrassed watching it. I tend to act differently with a camera in my face, and I think I put on a very strong, stereotypical Australian accent that I normally don't use.)

[edit]The show is now up on Youtube as well.

link removed

My interview starts at about 19 minutes 30 into the video

[/edit]

[edit x 2]I removed the link because the video was removed from YouTube. Silly YouTube![/edit x 2]

2015 Edit: Thanks to Genosse for saving this video! I've also found an article on it here:

Sex talk from a Gen Y perspective

rude_wideweb__470x311,0.jpg

Courtney Burger, Anthony McCormack, Jackie Doran, Dom Billings and Stephen Porter make sure their show is informative without being smutty.

June 18, 2009

A new sex show talks to all sorts, writes Bridget McManus.

BJORN WORPLE is asexual and proud. So liberated is he by the realisation that it's OK to be attracted to neither gender, he's prepared to talk about it on television. As the camera rolls, he is at ease with the interviewer's line of questioning, which covers everything from whether he simply hasn't found the right partner yet, is possibly gay and how often he masturbates.

Luckily for Worple, he is not the subject of a freak-show segment on a tabloid current affairs show but a guest on The Naughty Rude Show, a program about sex produced for and by young people, broadcast on C31. The situation is begging for crass jokes, yet reporter Tim Brown not only keeps a straight face but steers the conversation about Worple's sexuality, apparently shared by about 1 per cent of the population, in an intriguing direction, keeping it light but always respectful.

The exchange sums up the vibe of the program, which sprang from a weekly radio show of the same name airing for the past five years on youth station SYN FM. Smart and sassy, silly but never smutty, the show's hosts facilitate honest banter about the complicated world of young people and sex.

"Sometimes it's alarming what people don't know," says anchor, Anthony McCormack, who scoffs at the media's portrayal of generation Y as sex-crazed. And he's not just talking about the naivety of his listeners. "When I stepped into the radio show I went: 'Oh man, I'm going to have to grow beyond my years. I'm going to have to know about how you put the S&M balls in your mouth, whether you need to wear a train driver's hat.' But mostly it's people saying: 'Am I gay if I look at guys?' "

"Or: 'Do I have to give him a headjob if he tells me to?"' adds co-anchor, Jackie Doran. "It's often about relationship power and there are a lot of virginity questions. People aren't sure when they've actually lost their virginity."

The Naughty Rude Show, produced on a budget of $700 raised by the station, is the third SYN program to make the transition to television. Whereas the radio show is based on responses to listeners' questions sent by SMS, the visual medium lends itself to a more adventurous format. The pilot includes a visit to a fetish dungeon in Oakleigh, a detailed explanation of the female sexual quirk known as the "fanny fart" and a "women's health for men" segment in which a young man demonstrates the menstrual cycle using a bicycle and a basketball. With a SYN policy that 50 per cent of volunteers — and ideally its audience — be under 18 (the minimum age for volunteers is 12), is any topic out of bounds?

"We value the input and contribution, through segments and guest spots, of our under-age crew," Doran explains. "But I do find it awkward having under-18s on the show."

The anchors agree there is a fine line between frankness and filth, a line that was crossed by a different, all-male panel last year.

"There's a dark history of sleaze, when the show became about people saying: 'Let me tell you about my Saturday night!"' McCormack says. "It became a brag-fest for the hosts. So it got put on hold, to air out all the sleaze and now we're always on guard to keep it from falling too far in that direction."

Doran says: "I couldn't imagine a 16-year-old girl texting in to a show with three boys on. It's really important to have a female host every week."

There is also a conscious effort to include gay and lesbian perspectives, as well as that of the virgin, McCormack says. "Even when you are a virgin, you still have a sexuality. To just bombard people with a show where everyone is out there having sex is presenting an unrealistic cross-section."

SYN's under-26 age limit means time on the show is running out for Doran and McCormack, both 25. They are hopeful of careers in the media and Doran already works as a panel operator at Austereo. They could be among the last on community television to benefit from the industry training ground, as no digital spectrum is provided for C31 in the looming national switch from analog to digital. And unless The Naughty Rude Show is picked up by a mainstream channel, its future lies online.

In the meantime, there is no shortage of sex talk and the questions keep rolling in. Having had "quite a few boyfriends", Doran feels qualified to answer them and says it's all about "young people teaching young people about sex, so it's not condescending". Concerns of a medical nature are deferred to GPs but McCormack says, "there are a lot of questions that you can boil down to: the answer is just communication with your sexual partner".

Except of course, for Worple and the rest of the 1 per cent.

The Naughty Rude Show screens Mondays at 10.30pm on C31. Episode six, featuring Worple, screens July 13. The radio show airs on SYN (90.7FM), Sundays from 8-10pm.

The MoUsY spell-checker

The show ended before it got to anything related to asexuality. I think the Flash is too much for my computer. :(

Yeah, it goes for about half an hour.

It's still not up on youtube either :(

Here's the link to the youtube channel for when it will finally be uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/channel31melbourne#...39387719F566587

I'll post the link to the actual video when it's posted.

ah very cool LonePiper! Interesting show and a great interview! You gave a good basic intro! :)

:cake: :cake: :cake:!

Excellent job, LonePiper. That was a great interview. It must take alot of courage to put yourself and your asexuality on TV for the whole world to see. Thanks!

Oh my god, C31! I used to watch that channel when I lived in Sydney. Some guys from my old high school had a sketch show on it, and it was the original home of "Blokesworld" (where it probably should have stayed). Of course, the Melbourne C31 is probably different.

About to watch.

carried in bags

well done. cracking job, lad!

That was great LonePiper!!!

You shouldn't feel embarrassed watching it, you did a wonderful job!! :cake::cake::cake:

You represented the community very well, and came across as a great, normal, intelligent person.

Congrats again! :) :cake:

Thanks all (and especially Genosse for providing the Youtube Link!)

Archived