1. 1. Are you multiple?

• Yes.
    • I have DID/MPD, if that's what you mean
    • No
    • Of course not, I ain't crazy!
    • I don't know...
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm not sure if I credit multiplicity, but I do believe in dissociation. I know of at least one instance of it in my mental life, but I was facing severe physical trauma at the time and my life was in danger.

It's as if several hours were wiped out of my mind.

First, a personal question. A friend of mine may have been dissociating a while back. She managed to pull herselves together though. If it ever happens again, I shouldn't go along with anything one of the others suggests if I'm reasonably sure the primary/dominant would be upset later, right?

You really need to talk to her. If she always integrates- then yes. But you should be respectful, because they might be essentially separate people even though they share a body- and if they don't know you, then you wouldn't go around being jerks to complete strangers and expecting them to be nice to you for it.

Are there any people in there that don't use words at all?

Not that I've met.

The idea that there was someone here before is a chilling one to me, being accustomed to having been the first and only one in my head. Do you have any thoughts on where the first person went? Or does "left" mean integrated? Might he be the body's personality that was absorbed into William? Or are you talking about something completely different?

Left doesn't mean integrated for us- I don't believe we were ever integrated in any sense. The front is simply a location for us, you can enter and exit it and entering doesn't equate being created and exiting doesn't equate dying or integrating anymore than entering Target means you were created and leaving means you cease to exist. And I do know where the first person went, assuming there is a first person and that first person isn't Glenn. (Glenn is still here). Same with any other person who's come and left before me and any person who will come and leave after me.

The fact is, though, that multiples aren't singlets. For a lot of sexuals, for example, it's got to be chilling to think of never wanting sex or never experiencing sexual attraction, but it's perfectly natural and normal to asexuals.

So, nobody can remember a time when there was just one person in there?

No. It may have been when we were very young, before Lion King came out- but we were 3 at the time, though, so I don't expect to remember much anyways. As for why the Lion King, I really love that movie and always have so I can use it as a landmark pretty well. I have a problem keeping things in perfect chronological order.

And, yes, I'm aware that it's entirely possible I'm not the one who first loved it- but that it was someone else, and, quite frankly, as a person I have always loved it and just because someone else loved it first doesn't detract from my love. It also doesn't change how convenient it is to use as a marker.

I'm not sure if I credit multiplicity

That's fine, not everyone does. I mean, c'mon, how many people out there really credit asexuality, but we're still all here.

Elliott Ford

For us, "left" means exacty that - they've gone somewhere else. Other than me (William) most people come and go as they like (I'm duty bound to stay because i'm in charge).

It works a bit like my headspace is a house (I have been known to refer to this lot as my "household") and withing the house there are several rooms where people can be. The body is controlled from my room (This is the equililavent of what some others in this have refered to as "the front"). Anyone in my room is aware of events in the earth world. There are other rooms in the house, all of which i am aware of, and a garden. If someone is in the house or garden then i am aware of them. There are gateways (we call them "portals" after the game) in various parts of the house and garden that lead to... other places that are not in my headspace. Previous and present inhabitants of my household have entered and/or left via the portals.

I don't leave my headspace, for fear of being unable to find my way home again (sure, the body's life would carry on, someone else wold get put in charge and i know that hardly anyone in the earth world would even notice but i don't want to leave my lovers in the arms of someone else with my face, do i?) I have, however, been known to leave my room, putting the body effectively on auto-pilot. People who ask me how i am when i'm not in my room often get told "I'll ask him when he gets back in" - my closest friends now understand that this is a pretty literal description of what's going on.

A tale of bad advice, loss, and why I hate Eoin Colfer.

I was the first person here. Arty may have been here all along too. He took the name Arty when I tried to understand what occured in my head - he was really smart, and I was a big fan of Artemis Fowl. (It was around the third book, with the "nice" Artemis.) Arty didn't really communicate much, and I was always the fronter. But in exams and the like, when I needed knowledge, he would tell me. (At the time, I had a metafictional concept of the real Artemis Fowl using a mind-wipe machine that he had developed to change thoughts in a head in order to communicate telepathicly. It doesn't have to make sense.)

At sixth form, I explained to my best friends about how I seemed to have "The Kitten" (me) and "Artemis" in my head. The kitten is interested in the short term, Artemis in the long term. I was told I'd come up with the concept of the Id and the Ego, and that they were both me.

So, I believed he was me. I'm terrible for panicing before exams, so if I knew I knew all this, I'd do better.

So he left.

Now there's just the kitten, short-term and easily scared, annoyed that it's only asexual role model got changed... Most of my friends know I'm boycotting any new Eoin Colfer books, but they just think it's because Artemis got sexual, and think it's an over-response. My arty was never sexual, and I know him better than Colfer does.

So that's why you have an "other" on your poll.

Now there's just the kitten, short-term and easily scared, annoyed that it's only asexual role model got changed... Most of my friends know I'm boycotting any new Eoin Colfer books, but they just think it's because Artemis got sexual, and think it's an over-response. My arty was never sexual, and I know him better than Colfer does.

So that's why you have an "other" on your poll.

Id idn't even get through the last Artemis Fowl book, assuming it was the last I don't care if any new ones came out. The one with that blonde that he started liking. I planned on reading it- but then I found out hte end and I was just "okay... no. Not even gonna try".

His other books I liked better, I didn't like the Supernaturals that much, but the Wish List was fun. I don't think he should've tried a series. And, yes, it's annoying as hell that Arty went sexual. >_<

Do you know why he left, and what was the bad advice, that it was the Id/Ego and both ultimately you?

Yep, that's what I mean by the bad advice. I tried existing without him, so he wandered off into whatever parallel universe he could wander into. And by the time I knew he was gone, I didn't know where to look for him.

(I read Lost Colony. I got cross. I got no further of his books.)

mad_scientist

Out of all the things wrong with Colfer's books, you guys are worried about Artemis reaching puberty?

Screw that; I'm still retching over the science. Crawling through plasma, anyone? Strapping a nuclear device (he gets leeway for faeries having small nuclear devices 'cause, come on, their technology rules, it doesn't have to be the same as ours) to a child's electronic car and making it go really fast without melting or shorting? And man, the radiation...

The worst was the electrical shock explanations in The Supernaturalist. I think I actually cried. Note to prospective authors: if you really have no idea how electricity works and insist on putting it in your book, check howstuffworks.com first or something. Actually I'm kinda disappointed in the editor, too, for not picking that up.

Elliott Ford
His other books I liked better, I didn't like the Supernaturals that much, but the Wish List was fun. I don't think he should've tried a series. And, yes, it's annoying as hell that Arty went sexual. >_<

Do you know why he left, and what was the bad advice, that it was the Id/Ego and both ultimately you?

I really liked The Wish List too.

In my experience, not-believing can sometimes make people go away. Like the fairies in Peter Pan, y'know? And sometimes that's okay cos they weren't being particularly useful or, worse have been being annoying or harmful. But sometimes you get so used to having someone there that finding them gone is a huge shock and, sometimes, you don't quite know how to function without them.

The worst times of my life have been times when i've been singleton or times when some of my best friends aren't here (a number of them went off on a "Quest" and haven't come back yet, they remember to send word home now and then but have forgotten that time runs differently where they are). Life can be easier when you've people to help you, like Beardless had Arty to help them during exams.

Coral wishes to add that i spend more time telling her to be quiet and/or look after her little brother than i do listening to her advice.

anyway, my point is: It can be hard to figure out what to do if you lose someone.

:cake: for Beardless and best of luck to them.

Out of all the things wrong with Colfer's books, you guys are worried about Artemis reaching puberty?

Screw that; I'm still retching over the science. Crawling through plasma, anyone? Strapping a nuclear device (he gets leeway for faeries having small nuclear devices 'cause, come on, their technology rules, it doesn't have to be the same as ours) to a child's electronic car and making it go really fast without melting or shorting? And man, the radiation...

The worst was the electrical shock explanations in The Supernaturalist. I think I actually cried. Note to prospective authors: if you really have no idea how electricity works and insist on putting it in your book, check howstuffworks.com first or something. Actually I'm kinda disappointed in the editor, too, for not picking that up.

I was willing to forgive him all that, because it was the only books that I had a role model in. Then I didn't. I'm more worried about Artemis explaining away his previous asexuality because he had been delaying his own puberty - Mr Colfer was writing into the canon that he was just a late developer, and there's plenty of people round here who'd roll their eyes at that term.

Come on. Will someone recommend children's adventure (preferably high tech, non-spying (too generic)) where the hero (it usually is a male) is not fawning over a girl (it usually is a girl)?

Come on. Will someone recommend children's adventure (preferably high tech, non-spying (too generic)) where the hero (it usually is a male) is not fawning over a girl (it usually is a girl)?

I feel like I should. I would say "The Great Brain", but I think there's at least one instance of him getting googly eyed over some girl. There might be some series designed for children that have very few instances of love interests (I don't remember many in the Pony Pals, I didn't read much of the Sleepover Club but I don't remember much there) but it really is annoyingly hard to find books that don't have romance as a big part of the plot.

• 2 months later...

"Real" psychology will tell you to work through the trauma that got you the way you are and it should settle and the alters should "combine" back into your mind as one person.

However, that's not what this is... >>;

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I probably replied to this before... but I am median going on multiple, and no, it's not parapsychology.

My family actually thinks it makes sense. Technically the Trinity (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit) are this.

Very interesting topic! I have thought about this at great length. I seem to use different words for it, but I'm wondering if this is how multiples might describe it...

I have always used the word 'host' for the body and several identies share it. Would that be correct in a sense??

Very interesting topic! I have thought about this at great length. I seem to use different words for it, but I'm wondering if this is how multiples might describe it...

I have always used the word 'host' for the body and several identies share it. Would that be correct in a sense??

It's up to you what's accurate. The terminology is all weird and varies by system. :) Do you mean that you see the physical body as being the 'host' but not any of the identities? I think some people who use the term 'host' mean one of the system members who they see as being the first/original/core, but I don't see why you can't use it for the body.

Hmm, I probably replied to this before... but I am median going on multiple, and no, it's not parapsychology.

My family actually thinks it makes sense. Technically the Trinity (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit) are this.

That's what my ex friend (also a median, long story on the 'ex' bit) said about his system- he described it as similar to the holy trinity. Of course I'm not christain so I didn't get it. I think it was the water analogy that made it make sense for me- Ice, steam, and water all have very different properties but one easily changes into the other and they're all the same molecule, H2O.

It's cool your family is accepting of it. :)

I put "I don't know".

I think I may have been...but am not anymore? If that's possible.

I had a few others with me in my mind, but I did some sort of ritual/spell (unrelated to the other people), and as a side effect they got separated from me.

Is it possible to be multiple and then not be anymore?

I know some people who had headmates and they just *left* and that was that, and some people who actively try to integrate or accidentally integrate or any of a number of things.

I know some people who had headmates and they just *left* and that was that, and some people who actively try to integrate or accidentally integrate or any of a number of things.

That's good to know!

Ah, the glory of the internet - Just when you think you've gone mad, you find a bunch of people going through the same thing :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I would normally say "no", but when I talk to myself, out loud or in my head, I always refer to myself as 'we' instead of 'I'. One time I slipped up when I was talking to someone and I said "we" but luckily I was mumbling and they didn't notice. ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Hot_Air_Balloons

When I first saw this poll, I thought it meant a multiple as in a twin or triplet!

I wish I was a twin...

Here's a question.

If your different personalities, the different people, have varying gender identities do they also have different sexualities?

How do you communicate with each other and what's it like for the personalities not in the control chair whilst another is. Do you see/hear/feel what's going on directly with no control of what's happening, is it like some out of body experience or do you not experience it normally or...?

I answered "I don't know" 'cause I clearly have two different sides in my personality, and it goes in phases which side is more dominant... And I "discuss with myself" a lot (in my mind) XD XD

When I first saw this poll, I thought it meant a multiple as in a twin or triplet!

I wish I was a twin...

That's what I thought too! :blink:

Here's a question.

If your different personalities, the different people, have varying gender identities do they also have different sexualities?

How do you communicate with each other and what's it like for the personalities not in the control chair whilst another is. Do you see/hear/feel what's going on directly with no control of what's happening, is it like some out of body experience or do you not experience it normally or...?

Well, I don't even have a real multiple personality disorder or anything, but I've been aware of my two sides for quite long, and it's pretty obvious when my phase changes and the other side will become dominant...

Sooo... for me it's nothing extreme, no out of body experiences or things like that... I just feel like something wakes up in me and I start to see things in a "new", different way (compared with the recent one). Usually I feel quite excited of the change, and think that a while ago (when the other side was dominant) I was just being stupid... :P The other side is mostly dormant when the other one is dominant, but at times the dormant side might be semi-awake and make comments in my mind XD But the thing is, that even if my different sides would have a discussion in my head, I can emotionally only relate to the dominant side. 'Cause that's who I am, at the moment... :blink:

And the gender-identities - the other side is probably more masculine, while the other is absolutely genderless or sometimes even a bit girly... but both are genderless all in all, the difference aint that big.

And both are asexual, but the more masculine and more extroverted (that's one of the biggest differences of these sides - the other one's a moderate introvert, and the other one's raging introvert XD) side has little crushes and is more interested in having a relationship.

The less introverted side also is more energetic, but the major loner -side is more content with life and can focus better on creative things. The less introverted side is slightly sporty, the loner-side aint sporty at all. The less introverted side is also more aggressive, while the other side's withdrawn and detached. <-That's something about the differences... but the core feeling of it is hard to explain XP

Hmm... creepy, I managed to make it sound much weirder than I feel it is! :ph34r: I guess I'm so used to these sides myself, that I don't find it weird to have them, but it feels weird to put it into words for someone else... :P

hm, I too have theese two sides and they are so different, they have even tried to kill each other in my dreams. Now I'm starting to wonder if there's even more than two but I'm not sure because theese two have made so much mess around them I think it's easy to overlook other less loud ones. <_<

Archived