• Wiccan
    • Republican
    • SubGenius
    • Don't try to shove me in your categories
    • Other/Unlisted
    • Nihilist

This poll is closed to new votes

MysteriousMan
I believe in doing as little harm to anyone or anything as is possible.

I believe in leaving the world a better place than you found it.

I believe in accepting responsibility and stepping up when there's a need.

I believe in sleeping in late whenever possible, and I believe in stepping outside sometimes just before a storm so that I can remember there's more to the world than just me and my problems.

If there is a God, and he/she/it/they is/are omniscient and omnipotent, then I believe it follows that he/she/it/they are also immoral. I prefer to believe that deities in general either don't exist, or are bound by laws I don't understand, but which would make everything make sense if I ever *did* understand them.

I believe that the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is forty-two.

I believe we just don't know what the question is.

Yet.

And I believe very strongly in the goodness of coffee.

If there's not a religion for that, there should be.

I think I believe in Katilian...

I'm going to opt for agnostic. I'm open to and accepting of the possibility that there is a God. What I don't accept is that a group of self-appointed middle men with their own human failings and personal agendas, and whose only resource is a book written thousands of years ago by another group of self-appointed middle men with their own human failings and personal agendas, are adequately qualified to speak on his behalf.

Raised a Catholic, (sort of. We never followed the rules.)

I voted "other". I guess you could call me a nature spiritualist. I love and feel connected with all of nature, but especially trees. :) Call me Druidish.

LOL! Sounds like me, only for many years I was a devout Catholic until one day I realized that my being pissed off all the time wasn't being fixed by believing in Jesus...it was /caused/ by trying to force myself into a religious mold that I just didn't belong in.

I identify heavily with Druidry, but in the end I'm agnostic when it comes to sky-gods...but strangely enough, I'm find it quite easy to belive in the Gaia Thesis. Granted, I take it more spiritually than I think Lovelock originally intended, so in that sense, I call myself a Gaian Spiritualist, with pantheistic tendencies.

so as far as the spiritual shit goes:

Gaian Spiritualist: Everything shits on the Goddess.

Athiest with an admiration for outrageous forms of mysticism (simply to show how great the human imagination can be).

My thinking on the matter is simple:

A) I reached a point in life where I was okay with simply existing (the old, "I am. I exist" deal) and acknowledged my mortality. A very liberating moment, I must say, because now I concentrate on each and every day, trying to make the best of them. Don't need any religions to explain my existence or tell me how to live life.

B) Even when I did have mild belief in Christianity, it was mostly forced on me by societal pressure (as a child growing up in an established church, it's hard to separate the social functions from the religious). And I still feel the only purpose of a brick-and-mortar church is to be a social gathering point (especially one aimed towards color and class).

That's just my experience with it anyway. And I'm not one geared towards any "suspension of disbelief" when it comes to this issue.

I put atheist/agnostic/nontheist. I'm in there somewhere.

Basically, I don't believe in attributing everything on earth to some big, mystical, unknowable thing up in the sky. Like creationism; people say 'god made it' and leave it at that, not bothering to look into things like evolution and how that might have happened. I think finding out how things work is one of the great privelages of sentience and I refuse to give that up because someone believes it's 'not for man to know'. If it wasn't for man to know, we wouldn't be learning it.

I'm still open to the idea of there actually being a god, but I'm not gonna go looking for him (her, it - whatever you want). And if he does decide to show up, then I will view him as just another interesting facet of life and nature, because anything else takes the magic out.

I'm a New Ager, but with a Christian base - so my beliefs are a mix of all that. My faith and my spirituality are the most important things in life to me! I have a very strong faith in God.

Jennyanydots

I voted other. I was raised conservative Christian and although I haven't been to church in years, I have kept some of the values that I really like. Also, because of my Christian upbringing, it is very difficult for me to believe that God doesn't exist. However, through my 26-year journey, I have become quite secular. I do consider myelf very spiritual, but I get my spiritual highs from hearing Olga Kern play Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto #3, from hiking in the Swiss Alps, or from sitting in the Mark Rothco room in the Tate Modern.

not listed:

i'm a deep beliver in spiritulisim,

however i was put in to a catholic school as a child and i spent most of my time asking my teachers for proof that the bible wasnt a load of ******** and asking them all sorts of questions that you shouldn't (like why?!)

they have yet to give me and answer,

oh and its hilarios to see the look on 'the bible bashers that knock on the door and insist on trying to covert you' (cant remember their names) faces when you tell them.

:lol: they run like road runner!!! :lol:

no offence ment to any cristians/catholics (insert religion here) ect :wink:

if offended have some :cake: as a sorry.

i'm a Millist... big part Nihilism. some Magick. Agnosticism... mmm a little Wiccan and Buddhism...stuff like that. it's my own personal cocktail.

Wow, just noticed I never posted in this thread, thought I did. Anyhow, the best way I could describe my beliefs is "of the Christian faith, not of the Christian religion." While I believe in Christ and salvation and all that whatnot, there are many things about the religion I do not agree with, and many of my beliefs make other Christians say that I'm going to hell. Also, as a former agnostic, I know how annoying it is for others to try and force their faith down your throat, so I don't really talk about my beliefs in-depth unless someone asks.

I'm just wondering why "atheist/agnostic" is always lumped together. Just a pet peeve of mine, I guess. Maybe because so many x-tians assume it's the same thing. But I made the leap from one to the other, and it was a pretty big leap for me.

Since those two didn't get separate categories, I voted "I dunno, I'm just me, dude."

EDIT: I see there's a couple of other posts about this here, as well. My bad.

True. Atheists flat-out don't believe in any gods, while Agnostics are open to the possiblilty. They should be separate choices.

Perhaps we should add Bahai to the options?

And Democrat, if we are going to list Republican. After all, it's the Dems who seem to enjoy preaching to people endlessly.

Me, I'm a follower of Wotan. When the Jehovah's Witnesses show up, I just strip to the waist and put on my mummified cow's head. Then I answer the door and ask them if they'd like to know more about MY religion.

Funny, there haven't been many of them around lately...

Actually... I live a secular life, but one I like to think is informed by Christian principles. I think the soul (whether or not it exists apart from the body) needs nourishing, and that spiritual values are important for people and society to flourish. Gosh, am I a new-ager?

Decides to found "New-Agers for Wotan"

I am a god, but only a very small one. 8)

The best routing of Mormons I've ever seen was an SCA friend of mine, very large, very hairy, half-naked, with broad sword in one hand roaring, "NORMANS? NORMANS?! Where are they!!!!!"

JWs tend to go away quickly and never come back if you are hanging out in the yard or answer the door naked. (There tends to be a fair amount of nudity around here.)

unclassified1

Hi, I'm not in any particular rush to over share but the existence of a spiritual being (or higher power if you like) is hard to deny when you've heard this beings voice. I was nearly dead each time it happened so we didn't discuss much on the meaning of life or even 'right' religous practices. It was more like " if you just breathe you will live, just breathe..." I was a baby alone in my cot after a beating from my 'father' during another such beating some years later I heard their voice again.

I was raised christian but have since studied; hinduism, islam, wica, zoroastrianism, judaism, and am currently learning about; vodun, santaria, and other traditional beliefs and theologies. I think that theological study/belief tells you more about the person than the god/ess but personally I love learning about people.

Oh, if you didn't already figure it out I put....don't try to put me into one of your pigeonholes.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, and I haven't had time to read all them posts, but you forgot Pagan. Pagan and Newage aren't the same, so I couldn't exactly put myself as that.

Anywho, Pagan, but with constantly morphing ideas. I have very few set beliefs (reincarnation, the force of Gaia (or just Earth if you prefer,) etc.)

virginangelic

i thought i've posted. guess not.

i was raised msulim but have rejected it. currently agnostic but somehow i believe that there is a god/spirit watever...just need to find a better religion. i'm not saying islam is bad but it's just not for me.

what i can't understand is that why people in school don't respect my religious beliefs and force me to go to the mosque. sometimes, i wonder if they ever read the basic humans rights...

Urgh, tell me about it, virginangelic. I tried telling my mum that I don't believe in Allah (coming-out as a-?), and she didn't believe me. :!: She doesn't believe in atheism/agnosticism. And she thinks a person's religion is determined by their birth. :evil:

I'm pretty much a militant agnostic. And if you deny that such a thing is possible, go ahead and get me started. :lol:

Agnostic here. I must admit that I tend to be slightly biased against Christianity. I know I shouldn't be, but I have this instinct to tense up and run away whenever I encounter anything overtly Christian, or excessive uses of the word God. I think this stems in large part from being raised in a predominantly Christian country, and having Christianity forced down my throat, even in subtle ways. Over all, though, the idea of an invisible father figure, or creator, is very hard for me to take completely on faith without unequivocable proof. My agnostic philosophy is this, "Just because you believe in something doesn't make it real... and just because you don't, doesn't mean it's not."

I'm pretty new here, and I'm also pretty tired so I don't want to read 4 pages of messages, but where I'm going with this is that I'm sorry if this was already posted.

I did the poll and chose atheist/agnostic/nontheist and it turns out that most of those who also took the poll chose that as well. I'm assuming that most of the people here either are asexual or have some interest in it. So I am wondering if asexuality has a connection to atheism? Perhaps whatever makes us asexual may also make us atheist and other "a-" things? I don't know about this, I was just wondering.

Mith,

I think the reason is not in the number of asexual religious vs. atheist people, but in what group of people would seek out a board such as this.

Most religions consider chastity and sexual self- control to be a value. So religious asexuals may not have a problem with not wanting sex, or do not think it's that odd, or may look at it as a blessing...

Those in marriages with sexuals may deem their troubles with sex as something to simply 'do your duty' about...

While those who are not religious, in our sexualized culture usually do not have a morality issue with sex outside of marriage, and may be more likely to think there is something 'wrong' with them for not having an interest.

hawke

I am agnostic/ Buddhist/Christian/Wiccan//neopagan/into Druidism/into satanism/into occult/ New Age person/ Cao-dai/ and whatever else I find fascinating and interesting. I integrate everything I meet to some form of my personal persuation about how the world should be like. There were times I was atheist- and didn't find it useful for myself, it was not depressing or anything like that, it just wasn't fulfilling enough to hold it with myself.

I was agnostic-raised with some leaning to Christianity, and Christianity was first thing I doubted. I still like questioning everything. I like to learn about new things and I am quite open-minded when it comes to it.

I am more so spiritual than religious- I don't find any way how to perceive religion as a dictate, I need my own path to find out what's on. I have slight aversion toward Catholicism, but it is because many of its followers I have met yet were extremists and let their lives to be ridden by Vatican rules, what I find debilitating. *no offense anyone, please*

And I am more inclined toward mysticism in religions than religion itself, ie. I am more so interested about Sufism than what is written in Quran line by line, more so interested in Christian mysticism than what is in the Bible.. Because I take any holy book or text just as useful book/text regarding some moral milestones for people who can't find morality on their own or didn't try it yet, as a book/text that is valid from historical perspective, something that has undiscutable literary value and such.. but it is not something to tell me how to live.

About not having sex and being into religion, that is not true in *all* cases. (But what is, isn't it?)

For example, I have discussed it with few Christians (without mentioning I am asexual to them) and they were like "Uh-oh, how can they don't do it? It is a sin. God has given them a way to reproduce and to share intimity, not doing it is against his will."

So *generally* speaking, you have a point, Hawke. But people who are sexual, never matter if religious or not, won't understand at all. I feel it is more so about sexuality going on than religion of your opponent... *IMHE*

I'm an atheist. I admire and love nature, but I don't believe in gods or spirits. However, I respect religious people. ^_^

Okay, I thought about a way to explain my whole philosophy and "religion" altogether and this is that: " Everything is real. In some level of reality. "

I have thought this even before Matrix appeared in theatres, so please, don't laugh at me :lol: :mrgreen:

Archived