Amélie IS ace! *SPOILER ALERT*

toujours

It just hit me today. Amélie, the main character from the Oscar-nominated Le fabuleux déstin d'Amélie Poulin (2001) IS ace!!!

Look at this (2:20 - 2:59) and tell me what you think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWJk6zzzvZY

Ha! I ADORE this movie, always identified with her, but had never connected the dots before. LOL. In fact, now that I think of it, she's kind of the archetype of The Cupid-Asexual character David Jay mentions in his post about asexuals on the TV screen.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 01, 2009
Asexuals on the TV Screen

Allright all you aspiring hollywood writers out there. Ily's recent post on queer cupids has propmted me to brainstorm some ideas for asexual archetypes I hope to see popping up. Many of these are already out there, but not dropping any identity yet. Doing so could make things spicy and oh so interesting...

The Cupid- Asexual character uses her uncanny familiarity with nonsexual intimacy to set up sexual characters. Character is out, proud and wisecracking ("you look fantastic, now run off and have some of that sex you like so much.")

The Closet Case- character with conflicted feelings about being asexual finds community, wears t-shirts, gets an asexual love interest.

The Asexual Slut- affectionate, flirty, this character gets nonsexually intimate with everybody. This character is out, proud and empowered, she/he has an uncanny ability to turn sexual tension into, a she puts it "something interesting." People who think they are going to bed with her wind up staying all night doing something that they find more interesting and personally relevant than sex, much to their surprise.

The Homewrecker- boy meets girl, girl meets asexual. Boy and girl struggle to understand what constitutes "cheating" when an asexual is involved. At moment of confrentation asexual befriends boy, they figure it out and live happily ever after.

The Clueless- otherwise intelligent character simply does not get sex. Accidentally makes comments with sexual innuendo. Asks for sexuality to be broken down in nonsexual terms ("So what's the deal with butts? Someone break it down for me, I'm lost here.")

The Vis King/Queen- Whenever character mentions asexuality, people around her overreact with confusion. Character is annoyed by this, and has a glib line that she uses to explain asexuality and dismiss disbelief. ("Some people like sex a lot and some only like sex a little, right? Some people don't like it at all.")

Yay, This just made my day biggrin.gif I guess asexuality is more present than we think in our popular culture, it's just we haven't noticed.

Oh, I am so happy smile.gif

Yes, but in the end she has sex with that guy (I haven't seen that film since it came out, maybe it's time for me to watch it again) ^_^

edit: the uploader has deleted the part with the orgasms *snicker*

Yes, but in the end she has sex with that guy (I haven't seen that film since it came out, maybe it's time for me to watch it again) ^_^

Thanks Billie. But having sex (and enjoying it) and being asexual aren't mutually exclusive. The important thing is that she is perfectly happy without sex. It even says she prefers other simple pleasures in life. She ultimately has sex because she finds love, which is actually a positive portrait of romantic asexuals who wouldn't mind having sex with their significant other. BTW Nino seems very much asexual too.

Guest EGDingCale'sTeapot

I agree Toujours, many asexuals have sex.

And yes, I have gotten into some debates whether Amelie is or isn't "ace" inside the chat room. However, I think it came down to some people's personal definition of what they think is an ace instead of the bigger looser definition.

And, I don't see anything in Amelie that would null hir from qualifying as Ace if hir character was to ever out hirself. *laughs at the sound of that sentence*

I think it came down to some people's personal definition of what they think is an ace instead of the bigger looser definition.

Actually, her story is my absolute ideal of what a romantic relationship should be like. And I am ace!

Sex? maybe, why not. Above all, it's about being extraordinary and happy whether it's by sleeping with somebody or by dipping your hand deep down into a bag full of beans. :P

Actually, her story is my absolute ideal of what a romantic relationship should be like. And I am ace!

Sex? maybe, why not. Above all, it's about being extraordinary and happy whether it's by sleeping with somebody or by dipping your hand deep down into a bag full of beans. :P

:wub:

I agree.

My 'objection' (well, I agree with what you replied as well) was an objection that was voiced in another thread where Amelie's asexuality was discussed. If I remember well, someone had suggested that she's just a dreamer but still sexual. I don't really agree with this opinion, what you said (about asexuals enjoying sex) sounds more "convincing" (wrong word, but with 32oC I can't think straight)

Also, the whole film gives off a more 'romantic' feeling about love and it doesn't revolve around Amelie's sexuality (even though there are a couple of characters that engage in sexual behaviour and a couple of explicit scenes). And Amelie wasn't that much interested in relationships and sex from what I remember. Differences like this really made her character stand out

Shrine Maiden

Uhh, correct me if I'm wrong but they spent all the movie trying to meet and the first thing they do when they actually meet is have sex. I don't see much ace potential there (in fact the entire movie pissed me off so I'm not much of a fan, sorry)

Uhh, correct me if I'm wrong but they spent all the movie trying to meet and the first thing they do when they actually meet is have sex. I don't see much ace potential there (in fact the entire movie pissed me off so I'm not much of a fan, sorry)

Demi then! (j/k) :P

I'm not very sure about the film, I should re-watch it one of these days. But I think Amelie had thought it more as a game and less trying-to-meet-the-guy. And from the ending clip I watched on youtube, the guy with the "glass bones" in fact urged her to not waste the chance and do something with the guy.

I adore amelie, so i might agree just because i like the idea of her being asexy too. right then, i'm off to get me a cute french apartment, work in a cafe and hang out with my reclusive neighbour, sweet!

:lol: I don't remember her having sex at the end. I must have edited it out of my mind.

Anyway, I love Amelie.

Hi. That's why I included the youtube video AND the segment where you deduce she's ace. They explicity say that she tried sex, but didn't find that it fulfilled her expectations, so instead she prefers "other simple pelasures in life", like diving her hand in a bag of grains (which is awsome, BTW), cracking the "crème brulée" with a spoon, and throwing little rocks on the water.

Of course she's is very romantic. The whole movie is about romantic love. Yes, they have sex, but aces can have great sex, too. The whole picture seems maybe demisexual? Or even "pure" asexual. We don't know if they actually experienced sexual atraction when they met and had sex (is that the only reason to have sex??? I don't really know. Maybe a nice couple of asexuals can help us out here?). Also, I think Nino is asexual too, as he is kind of on the same boat as Amélie (does funny, simple and amusing things instead of having a girlfriend, never had one).

Anyway, I love this movie because, as I already said, it is for me the complete ideal of love. Think you should give it a try. On youtube is complete in about 14 parts.

:cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:

Shrine Maiden
Of course she's is very romantic. The whole movie is about romantic love. Yes, they have sex, but aces can have great sex, too. The whole picture seems maybe demisexual? Or even "pure" asexual. We don't know if they actually experienced sexual atraction when they met and had sex (is that the only reason to have sex??? I don't really know. Maybe a nice couple of asexuals can help us out here?). Also, I think Nino is asexual too, as he is kind of on the same boat as Amélie (does funny, simple and amusing things instead of having a girlfriend, never had one).

Anyway, I love this movie because, as I already said, it is for me the complete ideal of love. Think you should give it a try. On youtube is complete in about 14 parts.

:cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:

Oh, but I *did* see it, way back when it came out and I'm not really sure about the romantic love coming first. I mean, sex was all over the place (I was rolling my eyes at the orgasms scene and my patience was stretched thin there) even if the main point were her quirky reactions and childish nature. I kinda figured it was about seeing the world through a different outlook. Demi-sexual maaaaybe but I think it's the vogue of french movies to stuff sex every-frigging-where. Haven't seen one without sex that I remember besides Asterix. :P

What can I say, I'm more of a Pride&Prejudice fan in that genre. :cake:

Spoiler alert!!!!!!

Sex was all over the place (I was rolling my eyes at the orgasms scene and my patience was stretched thin there) even if the main point were her quirky reactions and childish nature.

I don't see how that could desqualify the character as ace. You are right, French movies are very sexual, and so is this one. But that's precisely why I find it amazing, and a great portait of an asexual, who isn't less asexual just because she happens to live in a very sexual world.It is also positive to show how an asexual isn't freaked out by sex or sexual things. Again, I think Nino is asexual too, yet he works at a sex shop!

Spoiler alert!!!!!!

You are right. Since hiding content for spoilers will substract a lot from the discussion, I just put that in capital letters on the subject. Thanks ;)

I liked the look on her face when she's in bed. I think I'd do that too :P

Is there anywhere else that mentions the Cupid-Asexual?

According to David Jay'a article he proposed those archetypes himself, from what he's seen and what he predicted could work on TV characters. So, they were not written down like an official academic source but more towards inspriation for screen writers. But they make perfect sense and kind of a déjà vu of what I've seen. Haven't seen them anywhere else, but haven't looked either :P

Archived