Common Explanations for Asexuality

EGAD!

Prevalance Common Explanations of Asexual Orientation  

1. 1. I have been diagnosed/had this experience?

• Hormone Problem
    • Depressive Disorder
    • Anxiety Disorder
    • Autistic Spectrum Disorder
    • Sexually Abused
    • Not Applicable
  2. 2. I have never been diagnosed but suspect I...(past tense)

• Suffered from hormone problem
    • Suffered from depressive disorder
    • Suffered from anxiety disorder
    • Autistic spectrum fisorder
    • Not applicable
  3. 3. I have never been diagnosed but suspect I...(present tense)

• Suffer from hormone problem
    • Suffer from despressive disorder
    • Suffer from anxiety disorder
    • Autistic spectrum disorder
    • Not applicable

This poll is closed to new votes

So as far as I know there has not been a poll exactly like this (so hopefully this will not be redundant).

As many of you are probably aware there have been a number of explanations floated as to why we are asexual: hormone imbalance, sexual abuse, psychological disorder, etc.

The first question seeks to primarily gage if you have been formally diagnosed and the other two gage if you suspect you currently have or have had any of the items listed.

Personally I think many of these "explanations" are bs, but yeah I'm sure many of them would probably only regard my well researched skepticism as evidence of how damaged I am.

thecynicalromantic

I was bipolar in high school.

I happen to *still* be ace in college, so it doesn't make a very convincing "explanation" in my mind.

I was sexually harassed in middle school. I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder. I have Schizoid Personality Disorder.

The harassment isn't an explanation as much as it is a minor contributing factor. The anxiety (which isn't an issue anymore) and personality are psychological issues that could be used as explanations I guess. They're issues that don't really bother me so, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Anyway, yeah, exception to the rule and or what not.

I did click diagnosed for these though I've never been "officially". It's a strong suspicion from myself, doctors and therapist, which is good enough to be an semi-official diagnosis for me. Anyways, social anxiety disorder from about age 10 onwards, varying degrees of it. It's less "anxiety" now, but most definitely avoidant in terms of social situations... Also been struggling with depression since about that age... I still have my extreme lows, so I've never considered it completely gone.

I don't consider either an "explanation" for being asexual, though.

I have low estrogen, been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and borderline personality with psychotic features. I have had sexual things happen to me as a young child. I still wonder if I don't care for sex because of all of this, but sexual abuse will usually scare a person away from sexuality. I became hypersexual as a preteen/young teenager, despite never feeling sexually attracted to anybody.

I feel that because I didn't shy away from sexual situations yet didn't feel sexual attraction meant that I was and am asexual to some extent, deep down past my problems. But I really don't know. I don't feel sexual attraction and I really don't want to.

I strongly suspect myself of having Asperger's. Haven't been diagnosed yet, mainly due to a lack of time and money, but I'm going to as soon as I'll be able

I have poly-cystic ovaries syndrome, which probably isn't related to asexuality as it's very common and increases my levels of testosterone (which play a role in... increasing libido. Hm.). I also have been diagnosed as having Asperger's, and was depressed in middle school. I sought treatment for that, which included a six-month stint on SSRIs, which had no effect on my non-existent libido.

pawprint prettysure

I've been diagnosed with depression.

As niku-bot, I also became hypersexual as a young teenager, despite the fact that I never felt any sexual attraction to anybody. I still don't feel sexual attraction, but I identify more as a grey-asexual than asexual.

My theory is that some people are asexual for the same reasons that some people are homosexual and others are bisexual. There is a natural variation in human sexuality which arises from an embryological process or processes.

People are born with their sexuality.

I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety when I was 10 years old or something, then I was also diagnosed as OCD with psychotic features when I was 15. I don't think that has anything to do with my asexuality though, considering I was the only asexual in all the therapeutic enviroments I've been in, including hospitals and out patient centers, and even therapeutic schools.

Personally I think sexuality is a biological thing. While it can be influenced by outside factors, I think the primary drive for who you're attracted to, and who you're not attracted to is more defined by your brain.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and just spouting out random crap that makes no sense!

jforjackal

I have some social anxiety problems. I don't know if I can judge how bad it is since I've never been diagnosed, but honestly, I'm a little too freaked out to see a psychologist or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm transgender and when my hormone levels were measured before I started taking 'em, my testosterone levels were between the bottom of the male and top of female ranges, while my estrogen level was slightly below normal female range. This is not likely to have caused asexuality. I also, while I'm on the topic, have problems with a variety of non sexual hormones, such as insulin and thyrotropin.

I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome twice as a teenager.

I was diagnosed with depression at eleven after attempted suicide.

I have just gone back into therapy as a result of anxiety secondary to hyperthyroidism.

mort paradis

I have social anxiety and depressive disorder, but these do not play into my asexuality one bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I was asexy before my anxiety disorder started, because it was mostly due to switching schools and my girlfriend at the time pressuring me into things.

Both of those things are over now and my asexuality is still going strong. So I don't think its any kind of explanation for why I'm asexual.

• 1 month later...

I have OCD/depression

I was sexually abused by multiple boyfriends

I've always been asexual though, and I don't think they are related

Guest member25959

I would say that I suffer from extreme lack of Hormones, as I don't display any of the typical behaviours associated with either sex/gender.

GhostsInThisMachine

I've been diagnosed with chronic depression and generalised anxiety disorder - and I've collected 'unofficial' diagnosises of attachment disorder and mild OCD. I was also sexually abused for several years by different people.

I still don't believe that it's caused my asexuality (or made me neutrois either). I was always like this.

• 4 weeks later...
gray_imagination

I really don't think my anxiety has anything to do with it. And if being an aspie does, its because sexuality is a LOT of sensory (and social) information and I guess maybe my brain is just like "TOO MUCH!" and ignores most of it? idk, never really thought of them as related since there are so many sexual Aspies and neurotypical asexuals.

my take is its just a natural expression of human potentials.

Archived