What does "cake" mean?

I guess I should probably know this one, but I actually never heard of it in a non-dessert way. Is it significant in the asexual community?

heatdissipation

Um...It's a dessert.

It's a good dessert. :D

It looks like this: :cake: :cake: :cake:

mad_scientist

It just means the dessert here. People abused the cake icon for so long that it's become a sort of running theme on AVEN, and by extension, our own little theme for the asexual community. I am not aware of it catchin on outside of AVEN.

This has confused some people, who are more used to a... more sexually relevant... use of the word on the 'net.

thecynicalromantic

Sometimes, dessert items (and sometimes other stuff) are advertised as "better than sex."

On AVEN, cake in general is better than sex, because that's not a very high standard around here.

silentdreamer

Cake around here is just considered the dessert. And, much like real cake, it's offered to people to be friendly, for comfort, as a "thank you", or a welcome. Kinda like how you might bake the new neighbors a cake to welcome them to the neighborhood or offer your friend a piece of cake that you find yummy.

Every culture has a symbol or two, and one of ours is cake :lol:

Guest Fosco
I am not aware of it catchin on outside of AVEN.

The all new Australia Asexual site (Asexual Awareness Australia - link) uses a localized version of the :cake: icon. Lamingtons.

I guess the idea came from AVEN, but it's a nice little twist.

chipmunkgirl

There is also the idea that sex is like cake... if you say you don't want cake, it could be because you are on a diet... or because you simply don't like cake.

But mostly it is a tasty dessert :D

It just means the dessert here. People abused the cake icon for so long that it's become a sort of running theme on AVEN, and by extension, our own little theme for the asexual community. I am not aware of it catchin on outside of AVEN.

Um.

That's not exactly how it happened.....

The cake icon was never 'abused'---it didn't even exist until we asked for a cake icon to use back in '04!

http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=3513

For more AVEN trivia:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=14552

:cake: :cake: :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: ;)

When someone offers cake I don't question it. I only ask if it's chocolate! ;)

Here, have some :cake: for your quick response!

Pie's better!

Sacrilege! :angry:

:P

I'm not a cake-tradition fan, but the cake is also a symbol on Welcome Lounge forum, used to welcome new members. Here's a 'legend' of AVEN welcome cake:

Thought i'd put it in a thread of its own:

The legend of the AvenCake

Once upon a time, in the castle of the Avenguy there was much sorrow. The castle have only been rebuilt after the vicious trol attacked it and people began fearing perhaps a new trol will arrive. Avenguy reassured them all that no evil soul will ever enter the castle again, but the people were still affraid.

One day, a young girl arrived at the castle. She was a very mysterious girl. She would wear a black cloak and hide her face. All the people could see was her eyes... her dark and enchanting eyes. All the people welcomed the mysterious girl in to the castle, except one. The old village fool felt soemthing was wrong with that girl. He went around and told everyone that she was a trol but they didnt believe him. "Look at her eyes. She is so lovely" they all said. (in a non sexual way, obviously). When he finally went to Avenguy and told him about it, Avenguy locked him up in an asylum.

The days passed and the people began noticing strange things coming from the mysterious girl's room. Tehy heard noises and grants and various other strange acts.

Slowly they all started believing the old village fool, and together they went to Avenguy with their worries. Avenguy decided to investigte the matter further. At night, he put on his villager cloths and went for a walk. It was a dark night and all the people were in their houses reading colourful animated books and talking about how frustratinf the outside world is. And then, amidst all the houses, he saw a strange light coming out of the window. Avenguy approached the room and as he got there the light disappeared. He started hearing strange noises... grunts and moans and humming sounds. He tried to look inside the window but it was dark, he couldnt see a thing. However, he knew what those sounds were. He knew that this mysterious girl is a fake. He decided to banish her.

He quickly burst into her room and saw that the room was empty. He looked all over for her but could not find her.

All he found was a letter:

"Dear Avenguy and Avenists.

I would like to thank you for your hospitality.

I am sure that by now you have figured out that i am not one of you like i claimed to be. But i am not what you might think i am, either. I am a peasant girl from a far away land. A year ago my father died, and the king of my land decided he wants to wed me. When i refused, he banished me from my country. I then escaped to a neighbouring village where i was addopted by a witch. She taught me witchcraft so i could fight the evil king. When i heared the king was to wed my sister, i decided it was time for me to fight him, despite the fact that i wasnt ready. I did not know witchcraft well enough and when i fought the king, i accidently turned him into a dwarf. The king vowed to kill me so i had to escape and seek refuge in your castle. I kept communicating with my family during the past few weeks. Those were the noises you kept hearing from my room. They have just told me the evil king has died, and it is safe for me to return to my home. I would like to thank you and your people ionce again for your kindness. If only the world was full of more people like you, it would be a better place.

To thank you for your hospitality, i will give you a secret recipe i learned at the witch's house. It is a recipe for cake. But it is no ordinary cake. Anyone who eats it, will immideatly feel welcome. The greatest gift you can give to wondering wandering people who happen to come to your castle, is the gift of feeling welcome, and this cake will do it. I wish you all the happiness"

And thus the AvenCake came to the Avenites.

THE END

god... i need to get a life!

:rolleyes:

Beside that, the cake is just a not-so-tasty-and-not-good-for-lactose-intolerant-people dessert :P :P

Cheers fedc16c3.jpg

AFlyingPiglet

I don't know exactly what it means - I guess its welcome, well done, have some TLC etc etc. Relating to Aven, its almost like one of those secret symbol/password type things.

I love the cake thing and if ever I met someone who I think might be Asexual and on AVEN (you never know, this might happen one day), instead of asking them out straight if they were, I might ask them if they would like some cake? Would probably get a strange look back but it would be less embarrasing - I think? :cake::cake::cake::cake: :P

heatdissipation

Haha, we need to seriously inform everyone about that! I'm not too quick, I don't think I'd catch on. I just genuinely like cake. But, say, if it was something along the lines of "Hey, I think cake is better than lots of other things! Can you come up with any?" I would be very amused to find another A. :D

Spread the word!

carried in bags

when i first joined aven, i wondered what the hell was going on with the cake cropping up everywhere in the welcomr lounge...now i cant help but smile or think of aven when i see anything cake related. especialy when my unaware mother brings up a cake when she visits me

ElectricBloom

What's the cake symbol all about!?

Oddly, in my first post I said that I love cake, and now I see people bandying slices of e-cake around on the forums! It's making me happy but can someone please explain to a newbie?! :)

And someone please cake me up, because I haven't been given any cake slices! :lol:

Thanks!

carried in bags

im note sure myself...maybe cos cake is better than sex? cake has just somehow become the symbol of AVEN & asexality, i dont know if there is a deeper meaning behind it...it could of just as easily become a lasagne

sit down and have someCHOC%20CAKE.jpgwith me

it tasstes nice

it's also a treat

zoidberger

A thread about cake should not be left without an actual :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: icon :P

Shockwave

Since there is are two active topics about the meaning of cake, I'm merging them.

-Shockwave, Asexual Q&A co-mod.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, I see. Haha! That's cool, it is significant! Thank you all you helpful responders! :P :cake:

What's the cake symbol all about!?

Oddly, in my first post I said that I love cake, and now I see people bandying slices of e-cake around on the forums! It's making me happy but can someone please explain to a newbie?! :)

And someone please cake me up, because I haven't been given any cake slices! :lol:

Thanks!

I like the simple "because cake is better than sex" explanation. No need to make it more complicated unless you want to. :D

Here, have some :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: :D