An Asexual Character in Dostoyevsky's: The Idiot

Nico-Nico Friendo

Nico-Nico Friendo

I was looking for asexual characters online and I stumbled upon this from SparkNotes (in case any of you are interested) . . .

Prince Myshkin is a sort of Russian Christ who represents the values Dostoevsky deemed the highest and most noble: altruism, meekness, kindness, and brotherly love. As Dostoevsky saw sexual passion as inherently selfish, it is not surprising that Prince Myshkin is a completely asexual character. Though he develops romantic feelings toward Aglaya, he subordinates them to a higher ideal of pity and compassion that he expresses in his relationship with Nastassya Filippovna. Facing the "dark world" of corruption and moral decay that he meets in society, he inevitably perishes.

I've never read this book, but it is interesting to find out about this character. Has anyone read The Idiot?

I haven't read any Dostoyevsky, but I've had that book recommended before. I should probably do so.

I think that just means 'does not engage in sexual activity' rather than his sexual orientation being asexual.

I think that just means 'does not engage in sexual activity' rather than his sexual orientation being asexual.

I disagree, is the character is written as a sort of "christ" as it says there, it woud have been written in a way where celibacy is the ground state. ie. Asexual.

I've read it and loved it. Price myskin is a brilliant character and you really get drawn into the world. In my opinon it is far better than the brothers karamazov. Recommend it to any ace, and now want to reread it myslef.

Like all Dostoyevsky the names can be confusing at times and occasionally a little dry but it has memorable characters and a very good plot.

I read The Idiot many years ago before I knew about asexuality in human beings. I am more attracted to that book than to Dostoyevky's other novels.

Archived