Using Sexual Ignorance for Visibility

AVENguy

Just meditating on the "yay sexual ignorance" post and on some of my oh-so-relevant class reading: it seems like sexual ignorance if done right can actually be used as a positive visibility tool. Being vocally ignorant of sexuality can makes a strong point, namely that sexual knowledge (and sexual experience) doesn't in fact MATTER. There's no reason we should be embarrased that we don't know (experientially or otherwise) what people are talking about when they talk about sex. I don't think it hurts to remind someone, if they make some sexual allusion, that I have no idea what they're talking about. Ignorance, in this case, need not be disempowering. On the contrary, feigning or working to acquire a working knowledge of sex adds credence to the false assumption that sex is something that everyone needs to know. There's nothing wrong in reminding the sexual people around us that we have no idea why being "on top" would matter a hoot and are getting along just fine, thanks.

VivreEstEsperer

ha, thanks for posting that, id forgotten id posted that thread because it didnt show up in new posts for whatever reason, otherwise i wouldnt have seen the responses:)

Kate

Ok, but given the media as it stands... who doesn't know? Not experiancing it surely doesn't stop people from picking up the terms. From tv to movies to books to music there's so much reference that'd it be really really hard to be in the dark when people start talking about sex. (Now, relating to it is an entirely different matter).

Archived