The Genderqueer Watch

Sammie

I love this article's use of words:

gender-creative children

I like that. Gender-creative seems like such a nice term to use compared to so many of the others out there ^_^

Also, it makes good points. The thesis is that society trusts children to know their gender at a very young age, but only if they know their gender is cis. If they are "gender-creative", we don't believe them. Good point, but also the first time I've ever heard the term "gender-creative"... I like it.

I love this article's use of words:

gender-creative children

I like that. Gender-creative seems like such a nice term to use compared to so many of the others out there ^_^

Also, it makes good points. The thesis is that society trusts children to know their gender at a very young age, but only if they know their gender is cis. If they are "gender-creative", we don't believe them. Good point, but also the first time I've ever heard the term "gender-creative"... I like it.

Kind of like people trust children to know their sexual orientation! (when they're straight...)

• 3 weeks later...

I FOUND AN AWESOME ARTICLE GUYS!!!

Here it is: http://latindancecommunity.com/gendered-language/

And the best part is that it's an article published on a site that's not even that queer friendly from what I know. As a latin/salsa dancer, who flips gender roles in the dance as easily as breathing, I appreciate this SO MUCH! And the mention of genderqueerness just melted my heart :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
kiaroskuro

https://twitter.com/PennyRed/status/613070621283647490

I'm still wondering why Laurie Penny of all people would lump gender identities together with asexuality. Or maybe I'm so tired that I'm already seeing things that aren't there, or I fundamentally misunderstand her.

By the way, I've checked the original German version of the interview, she actually did say 'asexual'. Or maybe it's the German translator's fault?! She might have said 'agender' or the like.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I honestly didn't know where else to post this. After all, this part of the interview is about Penny identifying as genderqueer, so ...

https://twitter.com/PennyRed/status/613070621283647490

I'm still wondering why Laurie Penny of all people would lump gender identities together with asexuality. Or maybe I'm so tired that I'm already seeing things that aren't there, or I fundamentally misunderstand her.

By the way, I've checked the original German version of the interview, she actually did say 'asexual'. Or maybe it's the German translator's fault?! She might have said 'agender' or the like.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I honestly didn't know where else to post this. After all, this part of the interview is about Penny identifying as genderqueer, so ...

That's a bit unfortunate. On another note though, I'd be so down to register "unicorn" on my passport!!

kiaroskuro

On another note though, I'd be so down to register "unicorn" on my passport!!

He he ... I'd go for "Hobbit". ^_^

On another note though, I'd be so down to register "unicorn" on my passport!!

He he ... I'd go for "Hobbit". ^_^

We could build up a team of AVEN mythological creatures :)

kiaroskuro

Ooh yes, great idea! I never felt quite human anyway :p

Ooh yes, great idea! I never felt quite human anyway :P

I volunteer! I have some experience being a fae, a ghoul, a Shinto deity, a dwarf, a cyborg water elemental, a Canadian, the avatar of a library, the anthropomorphic personification of the dwarf planet Pluto, a lady who is secretly built of mechanical locusts, and a conditionally genderfluid dark magical girl Pokémon trainer who may also be a ghost. (LARPs and tabletop RPGs can get a tad unusual sometimes.)

Ooh yes, great idea! I never felt quite human anyway :P

I volunteer! I have some experience being a fae, a ghoul, a Shinto deity, a dwarf, a cyborg water elemental, a Canadian, the avatar of a library, the anthropomorphic personification of the dwarf planet Pluto, a lady who is secretly built of mechanical locusts, and a conditionally genderfluid dark magical girl Pokémon trainer who may also be a ghost. (LARPs and tabletop RPGs can get a tad unusual sometimes.)

CANADIAN??!?!??!!!! Wow, your LARPs and RPGs really do get weird o.O

• 3 months later...

soo I'm sure by now most people have heard about target's good news to go gender neutral right? <3

I did, and I'm excited ^_^

Totally xD Unfortunately while discussing the issue with my mom she didn't feel the same way. Being the conservative christian she is she thinks that promoting gender neutral activities is encouraging gayness in children x-x

Meh. These people will come around; either they'll see what happens when it happens, or they will just have to learn to cope. We have been learning to cope in their world for long enough, they can adjust a little too ;)

Speaking of, has this thing actualy rolled out yet, or are they still planning it? How has it gone so far?

They already confirmed it that the toys and bedding departments in target will now be gender neutral. Disney has even taken this approach after a written letter from a small girl who was having a hard time over being a female star wars fan. They actually made her a little suit of one of those things(don't follow star wars) but it was really awsome that they heard her out and made those accomdidations (:

Yay! The world is slowly becoming a better place ^_^

I was working on graduate school applications and started my application to University of Michigan. They asked for gender and I was pleasantly surprised to see that "gender non-binary" and "gender not listed" are options. It made my day.

I just found out that this year's winner of Holland's Next Top Model was trans. I don't follow the series, but heard it somewhere, so I found an English link to share:

link

Apparently, she did not tell the producers that she was trans until after she'd been chosen for the show. She said she eventually told it because it would 'come out anyway' as soon as the shows aired, and that she preferred to do it on her terms. She was also afraid they might kick her out, but was relieved when they didn't. She said that it wasn't very focussed on in the shows, of which she was glad. She wanted to be there for her face and her modelling, not for her story, and I think that really happened.

Most of this what I said comes from a piece of a Dutch talkshow where she was invited to talk about it.

for Dutch speakers.

Yay! It's so nice to not only see trans people in shows, but also to see it as no big deal. It's nice to know she's trans, and that they aren't focusing on only that one small aspect of her :DAn

And high fives to U of Michigan!!

I was working on graduate school applications and started my application to University of Michigan. They asked for gender and I was pleasantly surprised to see that "gender non-binary" and "gender not listed" are options. It made my day.

thats soo awasome <3 Whenever I see gender option only male and female its quiet bothersome especially if I have to fill something out <,<

• 3 weeks later...

^My nonbinary/genderfluid friend shares the same problem. She hates seeing only "male or female" options on the admissions checklist.

^My nonbinary/genderfluid friend shares the same problem. She hates seeing only "male or female" options on the admissions checklist.

Its especially worse when you fill out job applications or medical papers when you first attend a new doctors office -.-

• 9 months later...

I try to keep up on the wine world, and ran across this article, which starts off assuming that people already know that people are not necessarily binary in their genders (and wants to get people out of the wine binary red/white mindset).

It states:

Today, most of us can comprehend that something as important as gender exists on a broad spectrum. Why is it so hard to do the same with wine?

Yay! So much awesome :D :D :D

I have to say, when we get to the point where mentioning nonbinary genders is a casual non-thing, then we know we're making huge progress ^_^

Thank you for pointing that out Kelly. That made my day.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news folks !! If you go to an urgent care center(in NY that I know of) they have a section when you fill out the form for gender identity !! :D They actually included gender queer and non binary which was most exciting (:

Yay! (Though I hope this isn't coming from a bad experience that led to you going to urgent care!)

Yay! (Though I hope this isn't coming from a bad experience that led to you going to urgent care!)

Well my mom had to go there because she had cellulitis on her arm and then sprain a muscle in her foot X_x Of course she got offended at those questions but that's neither here nor there.

• 4 months later...
WhenSummersGone

I just have the share this. It's great:

• 2 weeks later...

That's quiet fascinating xD I'll have to check it out when the full thing comes :P

• 4 weeks later...
butterflydreams

No idea how I only learned this just today...

Jethro Tull was always one of my favorite bands, and Ian Anderson was always one of my biggest heroes. In their 70s heyday, many of the orchestral arrangements on some of their best and most well known albums (including Songs from the Wood) were done by a person at the time known as David Palmer.

In 1998 at age 61 she came out as trans and intersex. Her name is Dee Palmer. That's pretty damn cool.

Archived