The Genderqueer Watch

Sammie

• 2 months later...
Nathan Blair

I wrote a fantasy story about a genderfluid, and published it in my blog. I intend to write more about hir there.

I seriously doubt this would count, but I thought it was worth mentioning here.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone know of websites for clothes/apparel that caters to genderqueers? either gender non-conforming in design or slogans/images?

it isn't something i've come across before.

• 4 weeks later...

News from the SCA

Ansteorran Royals Open Crown List to Same-Gender Combatants and Consorts

Their Majesties Ansteorra recently posted this missive:

Concerning Same-Sex Combattants/Consorts in Ansteorra Crown Tournament
And the Announcement by the Crown at 12th Night Court

As we are sure some of you have heard, in court at Steppes 12th Night, We, in accordance with recent Society Corpora changes did issue the following edict:

For the duration of our reign, we have revoked, deleted, and nullified item 8 of subsection E of Section 5 of Article V (5) of Ansteorran Kingdom Law which required combattants and consorts entering Crown Tournament to be of opposite genders. The line specifically read: “8. Bear the favor of a person of the opposite gender as potential consort.”

It is our intent to sign this with our Kingdom Seneschal into statutory law at Crown Tournament or as soon as reasonably possible. Either this edict or that statutory law change will be published in the next possible Black Star.

Denying the inspiration of fighting for a loved one is contrary to our ideals.

Those who try to exploit the rules or this change for their own gains or to make a point, will be held contrary to our ideals and denied entry into our Crown Tournament. Letters of Intent to enter Crown Tournament remain due, to us, on January 9th.

Jean Paul II & Gilyan II
King and Queen of Ansteorra

This is beyond amazing. Sorry if someone has already posted this.

I agree; completely beyond amazing.

• 1 month later...

I come from an era/age, and place (being reared in the 1950s - even a little "pre Happy Days"TV) when the word "queer" meant, simultaneously gay/homo-sexual, and that's all, with nothing referred to one's gender, which was only given as male, female, and an occasional 'waaaay out there', other. Privately, in my own 'head', my gender was a philosophical androgyne (with all the girl parts, but leaning from my psyche/consciousness toward neither female nor male).

I am so sorry for that first terrible run-on sentence, but at least you received all the information that needed giving! My, my - how times have changed!! :mellow:

• 3 months later...
swim2thesun

Hmm.. I guess I'll post there here. So, I just got finished watching a episode of Cold Case, "Boy Crazy". It's about a girl named Samantha who preferred to dress like a boy and do things boys did like fix cars. But of course this wasn't acceptable in the 1960's. After having too many problems with the other kids at school, her father sent her to this creepy hospital.

I can only find clips of the episode online. But this part was just really creepy. Makes me wonder if there are still places like this hospital out there *shudder* It's like the special hell for anyone who's different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffYZLDhlQHs

Her one friend from school tries to come break her out of the place, but she asks him to kill her so she can be free. It's just really sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQws2kumtDY

I found the entire episode of this online and am watching it and although I like the concept for the episode I really don't like how they are constantly referring to the Trans* character with female pronouns even though they obviously don't.

i realize that its "realistic" but it's really annoying.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but as of sometime (as in... When I made my spam account last year and making my real account this year) google is accepting 'other' as a gender for people making accounts. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like this blog ("A Fine Line") -- Jillian Cottle is aromantic, genderqueer, and ace, and v. eloquent when describing their experiences. It's mostly anecdotes, with introspective pieces and advice for finding clothing that fits, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

thats nice to hear :).

• 3 weeks later...

M, F or Blank: 'Third Gender' Official in Germany from November

Germany is set to become the first country in Europe to introduce a third, "indeterminate" gender designation on birth certificates. The European Union, which is attempting to coordinate anti-discrimination efforts across member states, is lagging behind on the issue.

The option of selecting "blank", in addition to the standard choices of "male" or female" on birth certificates will become available in Germany from November 1. The legislative change allows parents to opt out of determining their baby's gender, thereby allowing those born with characteristics of both sexes to choose whether to become male or female in later life. Under the new law, individuals can also opt to remain outside the gender binary altogether.

full story - http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/third-gender-option-to-become-available-on-german-birth-certificates-a-916940.html

• 6 months later...

Yesterday night a couple of people i know were on national Italian tv. Egon is a transman who transitioned after becoming a parent. He told his story, and then his girlfriend, who happens to be a transwoman, was also interviewed. I am phone bound now, but I may post more later if you all are interested.

These are Egon and Michela:

Egon_Michela_10comandamenti.jpg

They explained their life story, and also how Italian legislation doesn't allow trans* people to change their gender on documents unless they have surgery, becoming sterile. And they need a judge to approve the change of documents. I don't think I need to explain how hard it is to live with a document that shows your birth name and gender, with people always double checking when you use a credit card, or at the airport, etc. Always having to come out as trans* to perfect strangers.

After the interviews, a short message on screen let the public know that there have been several proposal to change the law, and none of them were discussed by the Italian government.

There is now a new proposal (and I think Michela may have helped writing it), which would allow trans* folks to have an easier life. If you all want to help, you could sign a petition to have this law discussed here: http://www.change.org/it/petizioni/per-l-approvazione-della-proposta-di-legge-modificazione-dell-attribuzione-di-sesso

EDIT: Please, if you like the petition (though I understand it being in Italian requires a translator and/or trust toward me), please share with your friends and acquaintances.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/court-declares-scotswoman-born-a-man-is-now-genderless.23862285

from a couple of days ago, austrailian high court recognises norrie officially as genderless in a unanimous decision.

PLEASE NOTE - as noted correctly by algorithm, the language used and headline are not respectful of norrie's recognition of being genderless.

Lambda Corvus

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/court-declares-scotswoman-born-a-man-is-now-genderless.23862285

from a couple of days ago, austrailian high court recognises norrie officially as genderless in a unanimous decision.

Thanks for posting this. Interesting to see how the broader culture thinks (or doesn't) about trans persons.

Honestly, the title of the article scared me away, for fear of the content. Skimming through it, that trepidation was found justified.

Just ... stay away from the comments.

thank you algorithm, i have put a note on my post in regards to that . i totally missed the headline and i am sorry for that. the body i should have picked a better article but i didn't have any luck finding one. again sorry.

one of the best things of browsing the internet on a mobile - no comments on articles :d

Lambda Corvus

thank you algorithm, i have put a note on my post in regards to that . i totally missed the headline and i am sorry for that. the body i should have picked a better article but i didn't have any luck finding one. again sorry.

one of the best things of browsing the internet on a mobile - no comments on articles :D

Hey, no. I'm terribly sorry if I came across as abrasive. You did nothing wrong. Please, please, don't feel you need to apologise for anything.

thanks algorithm. it might be just my overcompensation in regards. my boss has told me on a number of occassions that i use the word "please" too much in letters

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
artandceramics

They explained their life story, and also how Italian legislation doesn't allow trans* people to change their gender on documents unless they have surgery, becoming sterile. And they need a judge to approve the change of documents. I don't think I need to explain how hard it is to live with a document that shows your birth name and gender, with people always double checking when you use a credit card, or at the airport, etc. Always having to come out as trans* to perfect strangers.

After the interviews, a short message on screen let the public know that there have been several proposal to change the law, and none of them were discussed by the Italian government.

There is now a new proposal (and I think Michela may have helped writing it), which would allow trans* folks to have an easier life. If you all want to help, you could sign a petition to have this law discussed here: http://www.change.org/it/petizioni/per-l-approvazione-della-proposta-di-legge-modificazione-dell-attribuzione-di-sesso

EDIT: Please, if you like the petition (though I understand it being in Italian requires a translator and/or trust toward me), please share with your friends and acquaintances.

think I can help with any translation issues too if anyone needs assistance and can't contact ithaca

think I can help with any translation issues too if anyone needs assistance and can't contact ithaca

Oops, this might be a bit old. It's from a year ago. Did anything ever happen with this I wonder?

• 2 months later...

Laci Green has a definite awesome streak :)

Archived