The Genderqueer Watch

Sammie

• 4 weeks later...

I love Miles! I literally only started watching him a year ago because it was obvious to me that he was trans*.

<No longer active>
On 11 July 2017 at 5:16 PM, Light02 said:

I love Miles! I literally only started watching him a year ago because it was obvious to me that he was trans*.

Meanwhile I felt kinship with him before either of us knew we were trans :D

There is a long-lived Canadian fictional TV show called Degrassi (Degrassi this and that, the titles have changed over the decades; and I have seen every episode since it started in 1979). For the past few decades, it is about the students at a High School named Degrassi. They have had trans characters, and many gay characters (and cover some rather brutal real-life subjects such as suicide, Islamophobia, abuse, and diseases).

But in this new season of Degrassi: Next Class, they have introduced a genderqueer character. They do not consider themself to be a boy or a girl, and they came out completely on episode 6 ("#FactsOnly") of the just-released series on Netflix.

Degrassi now has a genderqueer character. Mainstream TV has taken this seriously. :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 6:20 PM, Kelly said:

There is a long-lived Canadian fictional TV show called Degrassi (Degrassi this and that, the titles have changed over the decades; and I have seen every episode since it started in 1979). For the past few decades, it is about the students at a High School named Degrassi. They have had trans characters, and many gay characters (and cover some rather brutal real-life subjects such as suicide, Islamophobia, abuse, and diseases).

But in this new season of Degrassi: Next Class, they have introduced a genderqueer character. They do not consider themself to be a boy or a girl, and they came out completely on episode 6 ("#FactsOnly") of the just-released series on Netflix.

Degrassi now has a genderqueer character. Mainstream TV has taken this seriously. :) 

That's pretty awsome :D I haven't seen the show in years but I'll have to check it out now (:

• 1 month later...

Not really media but it's rather rare to see forms where you don't have just "male" and "female" in options for gender, especially in non-LGBT+ groups, and it happened so I wanted to share this with y'all, it's from the website of the German left wing party Die Linke:

21317476_1758221077808278_67978217580587

"I am                 female            male                 other"

Just thought that was pretty cool :cake:

• 3 months later...

This bill from senators david norris (independent) gillian o'sullivan (greens) and fintan warfield (sinn fein) never went further than committee stage 

https://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=34851&&CatID=59

But it did have section about recognising non-binary identities.

The then minister for social protection and now taoiseach, Leo varadkar said

I again confirm that the position of persons who are non-binary will be considered as part of the review, as will that of 16 and 17-year olds and younger children

• 4 months later...

I was reading a horoscope for gemini, the horoscope reccomended a book that I should read, googling the author, I came across this article detailing their transition to non-binary trans and some surgeries they undertook on it.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/01/writer-and-artist-akwaeke-emezi-gender-transition-and-ogbanje.html

6 hours ago, iff said:

I was reading a horoscope for gemini, the horoscope reccomended a book that I should read, googling the author, I came across this article detailing their transition to non-binary trans and some surgeries they undertook on it.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/01/writer-and-artist-akwaeke-emezi-gender-transition-and-ogbanje.html

It's a good read...I love how he worded his experience of transitioning

Janus the Fox

Caring for Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming Youth

New care study, picked up by Google Scholar that contained mentions of Asexual and Autistic youth through my filter.  It is new and paywalled, though hopefully in months to come, such care treatment for gender differentiated youth improves.

Germany is trying to figure out a clause to make a third gender legal. Today's proposals were denied, they're looking for (more) inclusive terms, inclusive for trans and intersex people. At least it's a topic they're talking about, we'll see.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/drittes-geschlecht-barley-und-giffey-blockieren-horst-seehofers-entwurf-a-1208501.html

• 3 weeks later...

So I found out back home(in NY) you can actually switch your birth certificate to say X instead of male or female if you were born in NYC :D If I was still in NY I would totally be doing that right now considering I was born right in Manhattan :P

img%5D

I figured I'd dump the proof here :P

Janus the Fox

TRANS PATHWAYS & THE MENTAL HEALTH EXPERIENCES AND CARE PATHWAYS OF TRANS YOUNG PEOPLE.

An Australian study focusing on Trans issues, statistics with mention of Agender and Asexuality along with Autism and Mental Health intersectionality.

• 5 weeks later...
Janus the Fox

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Janus the Fox

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2018 at 4:00 PM, Finn. said:

Germany is trying to figure out a clause to make a third gender legal. Today's proposals were denied, they're looking for (more) inclusive terms, inclusive for trans and intersex people. At least it's a topic they're talking about, we'll see.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/drittes-geschlecht-barley-und-giffey-blockieren-horst-seehofers-entwurf-a-1208501.html

On a related note: while I was browsing some job ads today, I realised that they included a third gender, as in m/w/i (m/f/i = male/female/inter), m/w/x or m/w/d (m/f/d = diverse). Great news, I first thought. But apparently the new 'third gender option' still excludes transgender people.

There's still a lot to be done *sigh*

14 hours ago, kiaroskuro said:

On a related note: while I was browsing some job ads today, I realised that they included a third gender, as in m/w/i (m/f/i = male/female/inter), m/w/x or m/w/d (m/f/d = diverse). Great news, I first thought. But apparently the new 'third gender option' still excludes transgender people.

There's still a lot to be done *sigh*

Yeah they made it legal! I saw job offers with m/w/d as well. I also follow Tagesschau on twitter for the news and they really casually made a short information video on it and really casually included nonbinary and what it means in it! So it's for intersex and nb folk! And as far as I can tell you can change the gender marker yourself? But I haven't looked into it yet,

3 hours ago, Finn. said:

Yeah they made it legal! I saw job offers with m/w/d as well. I also follow Tagesschau on twitter for the news and they really casually made a short information video on it and really casually included nonbinary and what it means in it! So it's for intersex and nb folk! And as far as I can tell you can change the gender marker yourself? But I haven't looked into it yet,

You need a diagnosis by a doctor that you are intersex. It is not for non-intersex non-binary people. https://www.queer.de/detail.php?article_id=32558

It's true, unfortunately nb and trans people aren't included. I've been looking for this Tagesschau video, but in vain.

I came across this article instead: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/queerspiegel/maennlich-weiblich-divers-wie-das-dritte-geschlecht-die-berufswelt-aendert/23660088.html

It's a small step in the right direction, but still ... not how things should be.

• 3 weeks later...
Sebastian The Bat

• 5 months later...

I remember contrapoints. Are they still genderqueer??? I know they did recently transition

If I remember correctly she's a trans woman and does not identify as genderqueer.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, Bloc said:

If I remember correctly she's a trans woman and does not identify as genderqueer.

I was in a discord server of nonbinary people who seem to not like her anymore. I've been way out of the loop on that one's existence in the recent days.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived