Sebastian: The Asexual Icon/Craig Kilborn

(SP)

I heard somewhere that Craig Kilborn is leaving his show, normally I would not care, however there's a little bit of our asexual history weirdly tied in with him.

It has to do with a bit on his show entitled Sebastian: The Asexual Icon
where he plays an asexual, and plays on certain...well I guess 'asexual sterotypes' and constant non-sexuality

When news about this first broke here, along with a link to a video showing one of the times he did this bit, reactions were mixed, from people thinking it was really funny, to people being a little offended.
I guess I lean more toward thinking it was funny...but not incredibly funny, It was exciting just to hear the word 'asexual' on television.

In a way it's sort of a big deal, to have an asexual character at all, of sorts
and hear the word "asexual" again and again referring to actual asexuality....Not that this is some serious visibility thing but still

He did this bit about 3-5 more times but I would only ever catch the last few seconds of it, and he only made the one time viewable online.

I decided to make a new thread in light of hearing he's leaving, and also to resurrect the video to new members, and people who weren't around when it was first discussed

http://asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=1093

That is the original thread, and the 2nd post(mine) in it contains the video link.You'll have to scroll down about halfway...

2014 Mod Edit: I managed to find the video and upload it on my channel:

Hmm....

I'm somewhere between laughing at some of the jokes and staring, mildly insulted, with my fist clenched for a reason unbenownst to me. Meh. I don't take myself too seriously with most things (race, gender, etc) when it comes to comedy, so I'm guessing this is just not so funny. He probably had to make it blatant, since I'm sure some of his audience members are daft enough to not even know what "asexual" IS.

VivreEstEsperer

I never saw that the first time (even though I apparently did post in the original thread, so not sure why I didn't watch it, most likely my comp wasn't working)... anyway I thought it was....mildly funny, mostly I just thought it was cool to hear the words "asexual icon" over and over again.

i liked the one about the popsicle being for refreshment, seemed to be the one that came the closest to depicting asexuality in the spirit in which we'd intend it.

Kate

hmmm i cant say i found it funny, im often left thinking "what was that supposed to be" though when i come across some american humour, so it doesnt suprise me.

Never mind, if people can make "comedy" out of asexuality then it must be becoming better recognised... it certainly wasnt offensive, so thats something at least.

• 11 months later...
Skeleton key

"Sebastian, the Asexual Icon", was one of his most popular alter egos. I saw this skit a few times, and was amused enough to laugh. Though it doesn't give a good representation of asexuals, probably owing to him being a comedic late night character for everyone's amusement. To some I could envision it being offensive. There are some videos of Sebastian online I believe.

I wish I could remember some of the quotes, they were kindof strange. But I did see it. And ASEXUAL is part of his name.

Archived