That stupid joke..

Raumo

Im very open about my asexuality (except to my parents, but thats a different story) and, on the whole I find people are very understanding and whatnot about the whole thing. Although there is one reaction that Ive had several times, from several unconnected people:

Person (upon hearing I am asexual): 'you mean you reproduce by yourself/ clone yourself? Ahahaha!'

Ha...

Refering of couse to the methods of asexual reproduction favoured by amoeba and some plants. Hilarious Im sure... <_<

Now while that may have caused me to smirk the first time I heard it, I quickly became sick of it. So I wondered, has anyone else got this reaction? Or any other jokes people like to tell?

Or do I just hang out with a load of geeks who find that amusing? :D

I never start out with the word 'asexual'.

Its to often misunderstood and it sounds to serious.

I'll probably start out by saying 'I'm just not interested in sex.'

lines that follow might be:

'I just don't have a libido to speak off. I just don't have the drive.'

'People can have all the sex they want, as long as it doesn't involve me.'

'Its actually not that uncommon. its called asexuality.'

Okay, I've herd that once or twice, and was pretty much offended, because I was pretty much expecting/expected to be offended, but it's a little childish really, like when someone doesn't want to talk about something but the person they're talking to keeps bringing it up.

They mean for this to be a rhetorical question, of course people can't reproduse by budding or something. They just want to seem cool or clever, maybe get a few laughs from the sexual people, and make the issue a little less serious for themselves. So really, why not humor them?

Just so you know, I budded off another me a few days ago. I call her Asevela 2.0; we're buying another bed this week. ;)

(I'd love to know how the conversation would go next.)

Insult their intelligence.

I do.

Wankers.

I'm a human. If I could reproduce asexually, I'd be all over the news, f***wit.

I've only gotten that reaction once, and a brief explanation sufficed to get the point across.

Really, if it's the first point of reference that the person has on the word, I don't feel offended if their mind immediately goes to asexual reproduction.

I have a friend who called me a plant for a while after I told him I was asexual. O.o

Yeah, the joke thing is annoying. But I suppose if you were a university student majoring in biology, it'll be the first thing that comes to mind. "Asexual reproduction" is a very common term in biology, isn't it, for describing plants, etc?

I'm pretty sure most of the people I've told don't fit that category.

reverse_thrust

I wish I could reproduce by budding...

Mwuahaha. My own army of one.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen
But I suppose if you were a university student majoring in biology, it'll be the first thing that comes to mind. "Asexual reproduction" is a very common term in biology, isn't it, for describing plants, etc?

PLANTS REPRODUCE SEXUALLY.

Sorry, biochem major. But actually none of my bio major geek friends have given me the "so you reproduce by binary fission?" joke; they're genuinely interested. Then again, my school is more queer than...than...well, we're probably one of the queerest places out there. People who hear about a new orientation are generally interested in learning about it.

silentdreamer

I've gotten that response once before and I replied "Yes, I'm spawning babies all over the place!!" which just made the whole thing more funny. I guess I dont mind the joke, but I do imagine I'll get sick of it if I hear it too many times. Luckily(?) for me, I dont have many friends.

Yes I get that "joke" a lot.

I do.

Wankers.

Omg, I am so going to use this now. A million thanks fish.

I do.

Wankers.

BEST COMEBACK EVER!!!!!!

SpirallingSnowy

I do.

Wankers.

BEST COMEBACK EVER!!!!!!

totally agree :)

Epic comeback, indeed.

I've been told that there was always something plantlike about me. She was expecting a comeback, and she got one: unfortunately, she hadn't seen the ep of doctor who that was on that week. (I compared myself to the forest of cheem, who geeks!)

Guest DiscoBison

I do.

Wankers.

Well said, that Fish!!

that_american_kid

I know the reply is annoying, but I don't think that everyone who says it means the same thing- Some people are just trying to show off how funny they are, and that *does* deserve a snappy comeback.

On the other hand, I've also gotten, "All I can come up with when i hear 'asexual' is plants, but I'm pretty sure that's not you..." which really means "What is asexuality" except that maybe the person is uncomfortable. I try to make it a joke- "No, I'm not that talented." I've never heard it brought up a second time. Getting defensive just makes the person you're talking to defensive and they'll be less likely to take you seriously and try to learn something about asexuality.

theflyingclubcup

I've gotten the "You can have babies by yourself?" thing every single time I've said I was asexual - except for twice.

When I told my best friend, she just said, "Really? That's cool," and went on playing Duck Hunt.

My parents think the A in asexual stands for "alternate", so they think I'm some kind of sleep-with-anything type, I think... XD

Self-fertilization is still sexual reproduction, though, isn't it? So the "I wish I was asexual so I could do myself" thing is incorrect... :eyeroll:

I feel this exact same way! One day in art class this kid said he was asexual. I remember looking up hopefully for what he said next.

He then went on to say that he reproduced by himself, and my budding from his own body.

I then remember hanging my head and doing a face palm while groaning.

Also, my asexy friend in Canada once told a guy she was asexy, and he asked if it meant she had sex with animals or something. Did he even have a brain or is there simply another penis in his head, because he sounded like a total perverted dick! (No offense)

"All I can come up with when i hear 'asexual' is plants, but I'm pretty sure that's not you..."

Sorry, I know that's not the issue, but to me it just emphasizes the idiocy of people who can't figure out what "asexual" might mean when it applies to humans. Of course we don't reproduce by binary fission, morons!! Then again, I've gotten the "*blink blink* so you're gay?" response more than the "so are you an amoeba?" type thing.

mad_scientist
"All I can come up with when i hear 'asexual' is plants, but I'm pretty sure that's not you..."

Sorry, I know that's not the issue, but to me it just emphasizes the idiocy of people who can't figure out what "asexual" might mean when it applies to humans. Of course we don't reproduce by binary fission, morons!! Then again, I've gotten the "*blink blink* so you're gay?" response more than the "so are you an amoeba?" type thing.

Some plants can reproduce asexually. We can reproduce pretty much any plant via cuttings, although then it repends on how you define asexual reproduction, et cetera...

Personally I think it would be cool to produce a bunch of clone-mes. They could be my slave children and do my housework and sit my exams.

That would be good.

Asexual reproduction.But it would be better if it weren't just my clones.

I don't want to clone myself....no....

.....such a bad luck in all terms.

KieranTheWerewolf42

I do.

Wankers.

BEST COMEBACK EVER!!!!!!

Ditto.

I have a last name that pretty much results in the same sort of thing- I've gotten the same 3 jokes since second grade every time I tell someone my name. It's extremely annoying.

I do.

Wankers.

BEST COMEBACK EVER!!!!!!

Ditto.

*nods*

I do.

Wankers.

BEST COMEBACK EVER!!!!!!

Ditto.

*nods*

*also supports*

Although when people use this particular line with me, they don't usually laugh; they say it in a snotty, superior manner as if to say "Ha, haha, ha, see how deluded she is." <_<

I've heard that one before...I think my best reaction was jokingly offering to show them "mitosis" while making a kicking motion in their direction :D

Usually I just laugh about it and then explain it fully, figuring its still a question so they're still open to some learning whether they're being a jerk or not.

:cake:

Archived