BBC Documentary on Asexuality this March

tourmaline20

Of course I agree with Mizal, but if by chance they've done a hatchet job on the documentary and we come off really badly....I vote we excommunicate the avenites involved :D ;)

I'm quite excited by the prospect of it being on TV - been teasing via Facebook Statuses as best I dare.....just annoyed I won't get to watch it til Friday cos I'm out tomorrow night.

tourmaline20

A few months ago I was interviewed on BBC Radio 5 in Coventry about my asexuality, so maybe that's what your friend heard?

Also, ONE DAY TO GO! My mom saw Energizer and me in the newspaper and was NOT pleased, but I told her, "Look, mom, it could be worse! I could be in the paper for scandals involving sex, drugs or drinking. Instead, I'm in there for NOT doing any of that stuff. What's so bad about that?" XD

Guest member25959
From BBC site for March 19:

00:25 Natalie Cassidy's Real Britain ® (T) The former EastEnders star investigates sexual taboos. She meets 21-year-old Otto whose search for love is complicated because he has Down's syndrome, and talks to three asexual twenty-somethings who contemplate whether they can find love without sex

Oh yeah, ive seen that advert, its just that they dont make it clear what is in the next show.

Hey!, its the 19th today right? im looking forward to seeing this show.

that_american_kid

00:25 Natalie Cassidy's Real Britain ® (T) The former EastEnders star investigates sexual taboos. She meets 21-year-old Otto whose search for love is complicated because he has Down's syndrome, and talks to three asexual twenty-somethings who contemplate whether they can find love without sex

Oh yeah, ive seen that advert, its just that they dont make it clear what is in the next show.

Hey!, its the 19th today right? im looking forward to seeing this show.

Tragically it's only the 18th. But soon!

I certainly hope this makes it to youtube *wink wink, nudge nudge*

She meets 21-year-old Otto whose search for love is complicated because he has Down's syndrome, and talks to three asexual twenty-somethings who contemplate whether they can find love without sex

I heard about this on AM640 yesterday! It's actually the mother who was feeding lies to Otto by saying he's like everyone else; and she's willing to pay a ticket for him to have sex in Holland. I find it very disturbing and pathetic on the mother's half, so much negative influence..

Quote: [The mother] added: "Everyone else his age is having sex... so why shouldn't Otto?..."

I'm going to watch it on TV if I feel brave enough in front of my housemate. I'll most likely catch it online though >wimp<

AFlyingPiglet

Oohhh - today's the day. Counting down the hours now. We're really proud of you guys for doing this and letting yourselves be followed around by TV cameras :)

Its great that its being covered elsewhere, like in the Independent. It was actually through an article in the Independent last December that I heard about Asexuality and Aven so they seem to be giving us a lot of coverage of late - long may it continue!

Just seen the slot on This Morning (we have it on mute around the building).

Seemed to be only about the Downs kids who is getting all the press coverage....I wonder now how this documentary will be split between avenites and him?

I am quite intruiged to see how much of the footage (that they filmed for hours on end) will be squeezed into 30 minutes or less. Looking at the previous two documentaries in the series, the first story got the priority; in both instances the first story had 40 minutes air time and the second 20 minutes. I only hope that they share the hour out more equally this time and don't make a complete mess of the issue.

As has been mentioned already, the BBC Three trailer was not at all clear what the documentary is about. Neither do I like the idea of all the TV magazines saying that this episode "discusses our sexual taboos" - what's that about? I guess we'll find out in just over 5 hours time! Eeek!

Did anybody else catch Lucy and Otto Baxter on This Morning this morning? I'm not sure what to think about his 'story' at the moment - his mum does indeed seem a little pushy and I'm hoping that we get to see more of his point of view... she completely dominated the interview this morning. Still, what am I saying... I wanna see what Tourmaline and Niki got up to when I wasn't with them! :-p

tourmaline20

Just thought I'd share a link energizer found in reaction to the online version of the Independent article on us.

http://digg.com/health/No_Sex_Please_Life_as_an_Asexual

It's hugely negative, btw. Which is precisely why asexuality needs to get exposure and acceptance. They do not realize how much they are proving our point. :P

It's hugely negative, btw. Which is precisely why asexuality needs to get exposure and acceptance. They do not realize how much they are proving out point. :P

The individuals leaving these comments are puerile and immature. We shouldn't lower ourselves to their levels and comments by these people aren't worthy of any consideration anyway.

The individuals leaving these comments are puerile and immature. We shouldn't lower ourselves to their levels and comments by these people aren't worthy of any consideration anyway.

I completely agree. Immature twits :)

Guest Fosco

Not really sure what to say about the comments at Digg.

It's quite scary how these people believe they are experts on the subject, and assume everything, but know nothing.

I made a tacky annoucement on my facebook urging my friends to watch... all two of them that will see that message.

It's going to cut into my darts, but meh, suppose I shall have to live with that.

Well done to all those who took part, as been stated you are all very brave. I am looking forward to it.

You're not the only one! :-)

I REALLY wish they'd stop referring to it as sexual taboos though!

For those of you who don't want to miss it.. it's on now.. BBC3

Hey its on, i missed the last part about downs syndrome, and now im watching this! looks good so far =D

That was excellent! Everyone who took part.. well done. I just hope a lot of people watched it...

That was pretty good - well done to those that took part ^^

I'll bet it was interesting to see how it was put together for you.

It was quite good. It ticked most of the boxes people need to know. My dad watched it (he doesn't know I am ace), and his reaction was interesting!

tourmaline20

That was fairly positive and wasn't as embarrassing as I thought it would be. Phew!

It was quite good. It ticked most of the boxes people need to know. My dad watched it (he doesn't know I am ace), and his reaction was interesting!

Are you tempted to tell him now?

Congratulations all who took part! I haven't been able to watch it yet but will as soon as I'm able on iplayer. Very good to hear it was portrayed positively.

I notice the site is quite slow at the moment - I wonder if that means lots of people who have just watched the programme have come here out of curiosity?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you three are contacted by yet more asexuals at Warwick who just happened to be watching. Should make next term interesting! :)

Archived