BBC Documentary on Asexuality this March

tourmaline20

It's on Iplayer already. I'm gong to download it and invite my friends to watch it... maybe hum...

AFlyingPiglet

Well done you 3 - I'm sure you're glad (and relieved) you've finally seen the end result!

It seemed pretty positive and hopefully it will get more people thinking about it in a positive way!

Guest Fosco

You bunch of asexies you!

Thanks for that, was good to watch, was very positive, and I'm sure I even caught a quick glimpse of Canterbury there!?

Incredible, was a very positive portal of asexual's I thought.

Shame we can't get this to show on the website for everyone.

Skydiving looked like fun there too energizer.

I lol'd loads when Tessa? was explaining to immigration all about 1% of the population being asexual and it's really special. haha, aww it was sweet and hysterical.

I thought it was really positive, they did get a lot in there. Thank you for sharing your lives for a bit.

Well done guys! Just finished watching it, and it was awesome.

Will hopefully give asexuality a little more positive recognition :D

:cake: :cake: :cake: For you all!

Skydiving was indeed awesome! The only bit I was concerned about was the fact that despite us mentioning AVEN and the website on countless occasions, I'm not sure they actually put it in there at all. Still, I presume if people are interested they'll google asexuality and be sent in the right direction.

tourmaline20

I am glad the asexual reaction to it is positive. Now let's hope the rest of the viewers are as positive! I am relieved it is over. It was really scary building up to it but now that I've seen it I'm glad it turned out decently and shed some light on our existence and covered some points on what it means to be asexual. It was awkward watching the "romance" I had with my online pal. That didn't work out, although we remain super close friends. I suppose it's important to show that asexual doesn't always necessarily mean not interested in having a loving relationship.

Skydiving was indeed awesome! The only bit I was concerned about was the fact that despite us mentioning AVEN and the website on countless occasions, I'm not sure they actually put it in there at all. Still, I presume if people are interested they'll google asexuality and be sent in the right direction.

Advertising, probably.

It'd be nice if this creates enough interest for the BBC to consider using the subject in a more mainstream show... *cough*HorizonareyoulisteningBBC?*cough*

Guest member25959

Well done on the show, very informative. I bet a few thousand people know what asexuality is now, ofcourse not knowing before.

I lol'd loads when Tessa? was explaining to immigration all about 1% of the population being asexual and it's really special. haha, aww it was sweet and hysterical.

I thought it was really positive, they did get a lot in there. Thank you for sharing your lives for a bit.

LOL, that part was funny, and it worked by the look of it.

I've just been asked by a friend of a friend about asexuality being a disorder along the spectrum... I think they misunderstood the idea of a spectrum there slightly?

Roy(Banned)

I will most likely be able to upload this episode onto YouTube (if they would just STOP REMOVING ALL MY VIDEOS), so I'll post the link here if I can do that.

Very good visibility. Cake to all involved. Wish it had been more of the show, would have been good to have more on Andy.

I nearly went to warwick uni aswell. Would have been nice to meet you guys, unfortunately i know of no A's where i am.

But all in all very good show.

Roy(Banned)

Really funny where someone ("Tess"?) was giving the Immigration authorities a lecture on Asexuality :lol:

Here's the iplayer link for quick reference: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00j8...tain_Episode_3/ Hopefully someone smart will rip and upload it to youtube. I've no idea how!

Just started watching it now as I've been out for the evening. Good to hear that it's seemingly positive.

Assuming no one else has done so, I'll attempt to rip it and up it to Youtube or the such tomorrow.

Roy(Banned)
Here's the iplayer link for quick reference: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00j8...tain_Episode_3/ Hopefully someone smart will rip and upload it to youtube. I've no idea how!

Just started watching it now as I've been out for the evening. Good to hear that it's seemingly positive.

Assuming no one else has done so, I'll attempt to rip it and up it to Youtube or the such tomorrow.

I'm about to YouTube it right now, but it's probably better if it's uploaded more than once. More visibility + less chance of YouTube removing it all (which I think they've made a sport of with me <_< )

Excellent. Far speedier than I could manage!

This has been pretty good. I'm not a big fan of human interest type documentaries so I couldn't really tell a good one from a bad one. It's covered everything nicely though, and the variation in stories is good.

Morrissey and Belle & Sebastian on the soundtrack too. Very nice.

Thanks for the iPlayer link, I was able to setup a proxy to watch it. I really enjoyed your stories. I'm glad you all were given the opportunity to share.

Thanks.

Very good visibility. Cake to all involved. Wish it had been more of the show, would have been good to have more on Andy.

I nearly went to warwick uni aswell. Would have been nice to meet you guys, unfortunately i know of no A's where i am.

But all in all very good show.

Considering the amount they filmed, it is interesting to see which bits they use and which they don't. For example, they didn't use the footage from the first time me and Tessa met, nor when the three of us went out for a bit of food and chat together.

Considering Niki and Tessa are so elequent at expressing the issues, I thought they split the time fairly well - although it would have been nice to have actually had 30 minutes, rather than the 20 they gave us :-p

GooberPeaAndMe

Boo, I can't watch it on that link. Stupid Atlantic Ocean! I'll have to wait for youtube... <_<

carried in bags

i forgot it was on - got to see it repeted at 1230 tho...so what if im tired

well done all three of you, that is honestly the best thing ive seen on tv in a long time. i just hope i my parents happened to be watching (they dont know im ase) and friends (some know, tho some very patronising)

i want to find myself an asexual girlfriend now. there is hope.

bless you on the phone at the airport tessa - any excuse to use the A word, right! (i'm the same). i loved the "purple fish" line - purple is indeed the official colour...and i have just noticed my nail varnish, which i put on today is purple...!

what were you saying in the pub when they bleeped you andy, "i never wank" was it...why does no one ever believe you when you say this. i went for a blood test and counciling years ago...total waste of time

a whole series of different asexuals - bring it on!

big asexy hugs to you all...and maybe a little kiss if you play your cards right

I'm so glad everything went so well! :) :cake:

But, being outside the UK, I haven't seen it yet! :(

I do hope Eddie can rip/upload it soon! *hint, hint*

I also noticed that this site was verrryyy slow after the program aired----I wonder if it was due to alot of sudden users from the UK?

Really looking forward to seeing it (!!!!!!!!)!

And congratulations to Tour and energizer (and the third avenite whose name I don't recall, sorry!) for a job well done! :cake::cake::cake:

:)

Guest Fosco

I'm about to YouTube it right now, but it's probably better if it's uploaded more than once. More visibility + less chance of YouTube removing it all (which I think they've made a sport of with me <_< )

Their removing it because it's copyrighted material.

Shortass Lady
The only bit I was concerned about was the fact that despite us mentioning AVEN and the website on countless occasions, I'm not sure they actually put it in there at all. Still, I presume if people are interested they'll google asexuality and be sent in the right direction.

I watched it and yes, any mention you made of AVEN must have been cut out, because it wasn't there. It might be something to do with a broadcasting law restricting advertising or something.

But great job, to you and the two other asexies who were there spreading awareness... it is, and will continue to be, greatly appreciated! :cake:

what were you saying in the pub when they bleeped you andy, "i never wank" was it...why does no one ever believe you when you say this. i went for a blood test and counciling years ago...total waste of time

We were playing "I have never". From what I remember, it was somebody else who got up to say "I've never had a wank at work", to which a few people did stand up.

As for youtube, we may have a problem with the whole copyright thing. I may try and upload a copy of the documentary to rapidshare. However, this means you won't be able to "stream" it, but would have to download it instead. I'll try and sort something out though. As it would be a larger download, would people prefer the I just upload the part about asexuality, or does this destroy the programme as a whole?

I watched it again with my parents, who, when I began doing the documentary, didn't know I was asexual. My mum is convinced, even after watching the documentary, that I just haven't met the right person yet. She also made me laugh when she nearly spat out her tea at the statistic that "on average, we will have slept with 8 people before the age of 21". Still, after a bit of a wobbler after it, I think the parents are pretty okay about the whole thing now, although to be honest, my dad did think the documentary was trash and very badly put together :-s

The only bit I was concerned about was the fact that despite us mentioning AVEN and the website on countless occasions, I'm not sure they actually put it in there at all. Still, I presume if people are interested they'll google asexuality and be sent in the right direction.

I watched it and yes, any mention you made of AVEN must have been cut out, because it wasn't there. It might be something to do with a broadcasting law restricting advertising or something.

IIRC the word "AVEN" was mentioned. Tho just saying "AVEN" wouldn't clue anybody in on it.

I've videoed it (well, pvr-ed it). What do people think to the other half of the documentary, or should I just fast-forward through it?

Elliott Ford

I am so going to watch this today!

Well done all three of you just for being so brave, it's hard enough trying to talk to people about asexuality, never mind going on tv to talk about it.

Thank you this much:

:cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:

I wouldn't mind if the firs-half is in there or not.

I think the safest way is to not cut it.

Archived