BBC Documentary on Asexuality this March

tourmaline20

Hey everyone!

As some of you will know, since Autumn last year I have been the subject of a BBC3 documentary on asexuality. For a few months (October til January) I was being followed around by a BBC camera crew, as I came out to friends, discussed my orientation with family and met some asexuals for the first time. Along with me another AVENite was filmed (I'll leave it to him to announce who he is if he wants) as well as one other asexual. We are all students of the University of Warwick (sheer co-incidence in the case of two of us!). The documentary covers the good and bad points of being asexual when it comes to acceptance and understanding from friends, family and society in general, and was quite thoroughly investigated and sensitively handled. I have been told the date it will be aired and wanted to announce it here in case any asexuals from the UK (or elsewhere in the world that gets BBC3) were interested. As far as I know, it's the first major documentary to be done on the subject (especially by someone as reputable and large as BBC).

Airing March 19th
Time: 8pm
Channel: BBC3

I hope we did AVEN and asexuality proud, but truth be told, I'm REALLY nervous about how it'll come out. This was a big thing for the three of us to have done , we weren't paid, and the honest truth is that we did it to raise awareness on the subject. To that end, I sincerely hope we succeeded to at least some degree!

That is all. smile.gif

2015 Edit - For future reference:

The third part will be in the post below!

Oh no, I don't pick up BBC3. Hopefully it'll be on that new iPlayer thingy.

Looking forward to it though. It's natural to be nervous, but I imagine it will come out fine. Don't you get to see a copy of it beforehand? I can't see how this can be anything but beneficial for asexuality in the UK though.

2015 Edit - For future reference, this is the last part of the video:

The first and second part in the post above!

Oh my, this is exciting! I really hope it'll turn up online at some point. I'm really interested. I'm sure you did a fantastic job.

I guess there is something in the water around Warwickshire, all three of you go to the same Uni? what are the chances!! Did you know each other before the documentary? or was it a "Oh hi, your my flat mate!"

I can't wait to watch this!!

SlightlyMetaphysical

That's a date that's going in my diary. And all my friends' and familys' diaries, if I can help it.

Do you know what it'll be called?

Guest member25959

Asexuality is already quite well known amongst the public in the UK, and the UK has quite a large community of Asexuals (compared to other countries).

Aww, Tourmaline, I'm sure you did a great job. :cake: :) :cake: :cake:

Asexuality is already quite well known amongst the public in the UK
still, this post warrants :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:
and the UK has quite a large community of Asexuals (compared to other countries).

yes so large its really quite disproportionately unfair... <_< :mellow:

tourmaline20

I believe the documentary will be one episode on a mini-series called Bold Britains. The mini series will focus on people being brave in some way, whether it's living with Down's syndrome or coming out as asexual to your entire campus (let's face it...you're kinda conspicuous walking around campus with a film crew trailing you!) I am fairly sure the 19th of March episode is totally focussed on asexuality.

Here's a few amazing facts about Warwick University:

It has an Asexual Society as part of the LGBTUA group (known as Warwick Pride) including an asexual rep, monthly socials and efforts to campaign for awareness. We also get out own sub-forum on the Pride forums.

There are about 15 members active on the forums. I have met four asexuals through the socials.

At AVEN meets, I've met two Warwick graduates!

And finally, I was featured on a radio program on BBC Radio 5, which is where a fellow-AVENite heard me and flipped when he realized I was at the same University as he was. He contacted me through AVEN and we met and I introduced him to the other asexies on campus. We're now good friends and recently went to a University Ball together. =D

So yes, perhaps there IS something in the water in Warwickshire!

Also, BBC refused to post us DVDs. Copyright laws and all that. So when y'all see it on TV, it'll be the first time we see it too! O:

I really want to watch that. It sounds really exciting. ^_^

I really hope someone uploads it to Youtube or somewhere. I believe you can only watch things on the BBC's iPlayer thing if you're in the UK (and proxies are too slow to watch videos with.)

Yeah, this is really cool!

Fingers crossed it pops up on youtube!

i will be sure to at least try to remember it is on and watch it,well done to the three of you for doing this

AFlyingPiglet

I've written the date and time etc down and can't wait to see this. Well done you for doing this. Hopefully this will raise awareness as a lot of people in the UK still don't know about Asexuality - I know I didn't until last December. Have lots of :cake::cake::cake:

I did some creative BBC searching and I think it's called "Natalie Cassidy's Real Britain". As 19th is a Thursday and a new series is premièring on the 5th, I think you'll be sharing a show. As that one is about a celebrity and a cancer survivor

carried in bags

brilliant - i cant wait. i hope my friends watch it. i have a friend, who i love dearly, but he is rather patronising on this issue and still firmly believes that all i need is a "good shag"

I did some creative BBC searching and I think it's called "Natalie Cassidy's Real Britain". As 19th is a Thursday and a new series is premièring on the 5th, I think you'll be sharing a show. As that one is about a celebrity and a cancer survivor

You are correct. We were originally told it would be a thirty minute show, so I presume they are putting two shows together in a one hour slot? Perhaps not. You can see promotional material for the earlier half of the series here:

http://tv.sky.com/interview-natalie-cassidy

I'm amused by the fact that we never actually met Natalie herself, so when asked (in the sky interview above) who the most inspirational person she met was, she would of course have to say Lauren. :-) Pity they say that "we're doing one about sex". I'm fearing they will make it too akin with celibacy. After my skydive (which I presume will be featured), I was encouraged to compare it with sex... (for example) :-s

Nerves have fully set in now! The next two weeks are going to go so slowly! :-(

You'll hopefully see in the documentary how I became involved. Then again, they filmed a whole load of material (far, far too much to allow inclusion of everything within the documentary's 30 minute slot), so perhaps this little event will forever remain on the cutting room floor ;-) (I've always wanted to get that in somewhere).

Guest Fosco
How did they know you were an asexual, did they ask you to take part or did you volunteer to be part of the documentary?

I believe the producers emailed DJ about whether or not anyone from here would be up for it. Someone who was involved will be able to confirm or deny this.

Shadow girl

Hopefully someone here will record and post it so I can see it.

SlightlyMetaphysical
How did they know you were an asexual, did they ask you to take part or did you volunteer to be part of the documentary?

I believe the producers emailed DJ about whether or not anyone from here would be up for it. Someone who was involved will be able to confirm or deny this.

I think this may be the one for which BBC 3 sent out messages to everyone on the AVEN facebook network.

Hey Tourmaline. That's exciting news! I think I remember you talking about the doco at the London meet-up just before Christmas. I've been a bit bad and slipped off the AVEN radar of late, but just back now to check out all the latest forum postings and will definitely give the BBC 3 doco a watch later this month. Good work! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived